Austin Hays Appreciation Thread

NashLumber

Lots of memories, a few immediately come to mind.  Big catch in Toronto last year.  Hit for the cycle in the rain against the Nats.  Many a clutch hit over the years (though usually in the first half…).

And I do appreciate a hitter willing to forgo batting gloves, though I’m not sure why.

I wish him all the best, and who knows maybe we’ll see him again in the postseason.

Edited by Emory Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Wonderful Oriole, here from the dark age to the light age (for lack of a better word).  A guy who always gave it his all.  And he could gun down people from the outfield with the best of them.  I also loved the little hops he did after he connected big time at the plate.  

Hays was my favorite Oriole so this hurts.  But he is clearly on a downtrend and going to be more expensive so it makes sense to trade him.  Now our talented OF's will have more time to play.

In any case, all good things come to an end.  Sure he wasn't a star, but having a 9.4 WAR over your 7 years here isn't too shabby.  And really, he only really played a full season in 3 of those years.  his 9.4 WAR is the 3rd highest in the 3rd round 2016 draft.  Heck, 13 of the 29 from that draft never made it to the Majors.  So I think we did pretty good there.

Best of luck to you Hays in Philly.  I hope you enjoy a deep run in the playoffs and have some clutch hits to create everlasting memories.   

• Upvote 4

I enjoyed having him as an Oriole for a bunch of years.

He always hit me as Belichickian or Popovichesque as a well-rounded player good at everything if without any super stand out tool.

Bill James liked Runs Scored as a hidden indicator of a player's overall talent, and Hays was usually outstanding at that.

Extra rooting interest in the NL playoffs only adds to 2024's entertainment value - excited for him to get a good chance chasing that dogpile everyone wishes for.

2 minutes ago, Orioles West said:

An icy mug of Natty Bo’ is raised! Thanks for being all in, working through some tough, tough seasons to help the O’s — best of luck in Philly Mr. Hays!

:new_beer:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Hays was one of my favorites when the Orioles didn't have much to cheer for. I had a lot of posts in game threads that read "Say, Hays," with little if anything more. He always played hard despite the team's and his own adversity. It appears he was a very active force for good in the community.

I had hoped over the last couple of years that he could regain his effectiveness, but it seems that the injuries, playing through injuries and age have permanently diminished his skills and (along with the expansion of LF) his power. I hope he gets to play some and has a great season but a lousy World Series against Burnes, GRod, Kremer, and a another really good starter. 

I did find Hayes' Tweet disappointing, apart from the timing. I know it will make me sound like the fossil that I (almost) am, but I don't know why it's "normal" and accepted practice for athletes to share with the fans their deeply personal views about the power of their God and what constitutes truth and righteousness. Players used to keep their deeply personal beliefs about religion and other non-baseball-related matters much more to themselves (and maybe their teammates -- I wouldn't know). I wish they still did. Are players' personal political beliefs next to be an accepted topic for social media comments, in-game demonstrations and references in postgame interviews?  

I am perpetually amazed that people are not allowed to acknowledge the things that shape who they are. God bless Austin for doing so, and God bless those who respect that.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

I am perpetually amazed that people are not allowed to acknowledge the things that shape who they are. God bless Austin for doing so, and God bless those who respect that.

He is welcome to express his beliefs. I've never had any issues with him expressing his Christianity on social media. When you do it on Pride Day you are expressing hate for other people. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He is welcome to express his beliefs. I've never had any issues with him expressing his Christianity on social media. When you do it on Pride Day you are expressing hate for other people. 

I don’t know the content of the comment, but no he is not, sheesh. Expressing a Christian belief in any forum is entirely acceptable and non controversial.

I had some quite good friends who were non-believers and I always said good night with “god bless you”. They always replied “thank you,” and it took me a while before I realized they were non-believers.

But they responded with gratitude, even though they did not respond with belief, and they weren’t offended, nor should they have been. I was grateful for that example, and I learned from it.

Unless Austin said something inflammatory, which I highly doubt, he didn’t say anything to be offended by.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

I don’t know the content of the comment, but no he is not, sheesh. Expressing a Christian belief in any forum is entirely acceptable and non controversial.

I had some quite good friends who were non-believers and I always said good night with “god bless you”. They always replied “thank you,” and it took me a while before I realized they were non-believers.

But they responded with gratitude, even though they did not respond with belief, and they weren’t offended, nor should they have been. I was grateful for that example, and I learned from it.

Unless Austin said something inflammatory, which I highly doubt, he didn’t say anything to be offended by.

It was coded but definitely inflammatory (as proven by the reactions it got on the internet). I have zero problem with saying God bless you.

He posted The Armor of God I think.

Is it very christian to tell folks what should or should not offend them?

This is a forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/

Do you think it's entirely acceptable and non controversial to express Christian beliefs there?

Just don't.  It's easy, just don't press your beliefs on others.  Don't just assume they don't mind.