Orioles acquiring Zach Eflin

LookitsPuck

The other good thing about this trade, and refreshing at that, is getting the two biggest needs at least addressed at the beginning, instead of the end, of the market. Whatever may happen after this is gravy, if not the real main course (and hopefully not turkey).

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Fair, but it's also 10 runs in 3 games.  😁

He doesn’t strike out many batters.  I see him as a guy to cover innings (which we need) more so than a playoff upgrade. 

• Upvote 1

I’m a fan of Eflin. He has a good mix and knows how to pitch. More of the number 3 pick up that we were looking for. If you asked Eflin for that or Skubal for 2-3 of big 3 I’d take Eflin all day.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

His ERA- has been better than league average 5 of the last 6 seasons, besides this one. He’s a high floor starter who at his worst is going to be better than Kremer has been this year, while averaging nearly 6 innings per start. It would be great to see them add another starter as well, but they are clearly in a much better spot today for the remainder of this year and next season than they were yesterday. 

I'm not sure what ERA- is so I guess it's good that he's better than league average there. Not looking at 2020, his ERA+ was league average once, better than league average last year and below league average in 22 and 24. In seasons he's pitched 100 IP his ERA+ is 95, 108, 100, 118 and 95 going back to 2017. I'm not saying he's a bad pitcher, but he's not the difference maker and I stand by my statement they need to add a better arm before the deadline.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm not sure what ERA- is so I guess it's good that he's better than league average there. Not looking at 2020, his ERA+ was league average once, better than league average last year and below league average in 22 and 24. In seasons he's pitched 100 IP his ERA+ is 95, 108, 100, 118 and 95 going back to 2017. I'm not saying he's a bad pitcher, but he's not the difference maker and I stand by my statement they need to add a better arm before the deadline.

I agree that Eflin should not be the #2/#3 starter we'd like to add, but he is a solid #4 type and improves our rotation.  Hopefully Elias gets that ToR and a great reliever.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Good. I am fine with what we have done. 

Likewise. It never makes any sense to me when people start from the position that they're looking for ways to send away our top prospects. Huh? The goal isn't to rid ourselves of elite assets who will make this team competitive for the long haul--it's to plug in-season holes, which can be done without so much as breaking a sweat as the two trades today show. I'm glad Elias and co. are in charge of things and not the proletariat.

Good, fair trade.  I like Eflin.  It's a little frustrating that he's exactly the kind of FA starter we could have just paid for the last couple years but never would.  Now it cost money and three decent kids, not that they are major prospects, of course.  

16 minutes ago, Malike said:

I think for ERA+, over 100 is better than average so he’s still been league average or better 3 is the last 5 seasons according to that. 

I agree he’s not a typical difference maker like Skubal/Crochet, but I think he is a difference maker to the O’s because he gives them a pretty safe 3/4 option (even if he’s not the perfect #3) for both this year and next, with upside for more. I would also like to see them add another SP and certainly a reliever as well though.