Orioles acquiring Zach Eflin

LookitsPuck

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I think there's a fair chance that we get more value out of this trade, even ignoring that Eflin's value should come during a pennant race. But it's the Rays, and they know how to develop prospects, so who knows? That said:

Etzel: people fell in love with this kid, but his upside is middling. I could see him being a #7/8 hitter and CFer. Good player, but not an impact guy. More likely a decent 4th OF for defense and base running.

Baumeister: This is the headliner, but his impact potential is middling. Fangraphs has him as a 40 FV pitcher. He's a fastball/curveball guy without a great change up and not great command. Walking 5.48/9 innings. If you tell me the Rays make something out of him I'd believe you, but he looks like a future bullpen arm to me.

Horvath: got a lot of helium last year, but hasn't followed through in 2024. Rays are hoping for the guy they can fix. Fangraphs has him as a 40+ FV guy. He's hitting ~.235 this year, but has decent power and walks so there's upside.

If you squint, you can make an ok case for any of these 3 guys. The Rays certainly see some upside, but I'm honestly a little surprised they weren't able to get a better headliner for Eflin.

I 100% think we got great value in Eflin, and am honestly surprised how cheaply he came.  I was just more so pointing out that our farm system past the big 3, Povich/McDermott, and EBJ, is pretty bare now.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I 100% think we got great value in Eflin, and am honestly surprised how cheaply he came.  I was just more so pointing out that our farm system past the big 3, Povich/McDermott, and EBJ, is pretty bare now.  

I feel somewhat optimistic here too, but clubs paying seemingly higher for the Jason Adam kind of pitcher relative to the Zach Eflin kind of pitcher might just be another brick in the wall of relievers sharper quality in short bursts being preferred.

TEX beat up Zach Eflin pretty good last fall same as they did Grayson Rodriguez, Dean Kremer and pretty much everybody but Kyle Bradish.

ME interview on MASN tonight while Anthony hit a HR!

paraphrasing: Received the best available SP available this deadline. And we have him next year.

Note: his $18m next year kept away all of the luxury taxed teams. Good deal and possibly the best trade this deadline.

getting into this 8 week stretch, I’m excited that we added 2 velocity arms in the bullpen and rotation. Coincidentally 2 LHP/RHP

2 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

ME interview on MASN tonight while Anthony hit a HR!

paraphrasing: Received the best available SP available this deadline. And we have him next year.

Note: his $18m next year kept away all of the luxury taxed teams. Good deal and possibly the best trade this deadline.

getting into this 8 week stretch, I’m excited that we added 2 velocity arms in the bullpen and rotation. Coincidentally 2 LHP/RHP

Yeah that's certainly my favorite move at this trade deadline, and probably for most people.  So refreshing to have the team capable of taking on some salary!