Are we done?

DocJJ

I'm glad we added Elfin, but I'm not sure this move puts us over the top...   Do you think we're done?  or do you think Elias has one more move up his sleeve???  I still think we need another dependable-to-good starter AND one more good reliever.....AND A REAL CLOSER!

• Upvote 3

If Mike wants the Orioles to make it past the first round of the playoffs, he better have more moves up his sleeve. The Orioles need to be buyers and sellers at the trade deadline this year. We need another starter and a another reliever. Since the offense is struggling, we might need another hitter as well. If the Orioles don't experience post season success, I will put all the blame on Mike. It is absolutely vital that the Orioles make several good moves at the trading deadline. Mike is off to a good start! We just need him to keep going. You can't stop making moves.

• Haha 1

We'd better not be done!  Eflin is a good #4 starter but they need someone better for game 3 of a playoff series (if not game 2).  

And yes, we do need a better closer.  Scott and Finnegan are still out there and there are probably others that I'm forgetting.  It's not that Kimbrel can't save games, it's that he's a ticking time bomb.  He gets into these slumps where he loses effectiveness and the O's need to be able to put him in low-leverage relief for a couple of weeks until he gets his mojo back, which means they need another closer to cover those episodes.  What if Kimbrel starts slumping in the playoffs?  

Absolutely have to have a better back end reliever, preferably someone who can move Kimbrel out of the closer role.  Another starter would be good, but I understand Elias not giving up what it would take to get Skubal if he's even available.  Snell or Fedde might be good, less expensive (at least in prospect) fall backs.

We need a closer, we won’t be going anywhere with Kimbrel in that role. The offense looks terrible right now too. Adley is in a really bad slump, team looks like it has a lot of needs right now. 

I would think the price for a closer--now our number one priority--would be less than for a SP. Now that Eflin's in the bag, I hope to see our next quality trade package nail down that closer role. 

I would be shocked if they don’t add at least one more reliever. Domínguez has upside but he’s not a bonafide back end guy right now. It’s been reported since May that the O’s were looking for a backend guy to possibly spell Kimbrel, so I am assuming they add someone that can do that if needed. 

Out of curiosity, who would be ok if they traded for Miller and Skubal but they lost Basallo, Mayo, McDermott, Kjerstad, plus 3 back end top 30 in the system prospects?  I struggle because it hurts but I salivate at Skubal for a couple of years, Miller for even more and then you have a solid rotation next year with Bradish hopefully returning and Bautista, Miller, Cano at the back end of the bullpen.  I don’t know, I’m just thinking out loud. There has to be a point soon that the blocked prospects get a chance or are traded to teams of need. There are some really decent guys stuck in AAA because the guys on the MLB team are better and/or proven. 

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

I'm glad we added Elfin, but I'm not sure this move puts us over the top...   Do you think we're done?  or do you think Elias has one more move up his sleeve???  I still think we need another dependable-to-good starter AND one more good reliever.....AND A REAL CLOSER!

Man, this is actually a fair question. All the trades in the world aren’t going to help unless we get back to hitting.