Are we done?

DocJJ

I’m guessing 3 more moves.    Hoping we can get two relievers from one team in one trade such as the Marlins or A’s.     The second move is for a RH bat.   No idea who.    The third one I’m guessing is a surprise one.   Whether the BIG one we want for a TOR arm or a “huh” one.  

I gotta admit, I read this thread title and thought you meant our chances this season, lol. 

I also gotta admit that even though we are in 1st place, for the first time I’ve started to feel like we are rearranging deck chairs on the titanic (a tiny bit.)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DocJJ said:

I'm glad we added Elfin, but I'm not sure this move puts us over the top...   Do you think we're done?  or do you think Elias has one more move up his sleeve???  I still think we need another dependable-to-good starter AND one more good reliever.....AND A REAL CLOSER!

I don’t think anyone attempting objectivity could disagree.

Eflin is a nice add, but by no means “puts us over the top”. And as we have witnessed in the last 10 games. Kimbrel is nowhere near a shutdown reliever. Plus we are still slated to have to start one of Suarez/rookie bombs away 5th starter.

So, yes. Elias still has work to do.

• Upvote 1

I agree, didn’t know if this was a season thread or a trade thread. 😀

If we are done, I think it means the expectations are lowered for this year because, as evidenced by the last few weeks, this team has a lot of issues.  If World Series is the goal the bullpen needs a lot more help and we need at least one more starter. And Hyde needs to figure out how to get the offense going again. And the defense needs to be better. Lots of problems right now.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Snell and another solid RP like Sam Moll from Cincinnati would make me very happy.

I'm guessing we only get one more piece though, so I'll say Elias targets a higher end starter and hopes Suarez or McDermott can help in the pen.

I don't know why Suarez and McDermott are not in the pen RIGHT NOW. I know I might get flack for this too, but I still think Bryan Baker can be salvaged. He's got high K stuff, just needs to be used correctly. Even if all 3 of these guys can be pieces, I still think we could use 2 more bullpen pieces, especially a lefty

I think Elias is still shopping. 

I like the apparent decisiveness so far given that our trades are among the bigger, relatively early trades.  He's checked the necessary boxes (including 2025 thinking as well).  And has dry powder at the MLB and MiLB level to deal.  

Rotation

20% we get a #2+ type

50% #3

30% we're done with the rotation. 

Bullpen

40% plus RP

30% rotation trickle down

10% done

20% marginal RP

8 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I don't know why Suarez and McDermott are not in the pen RIGHT NOW. I know I might get flack for this too, but I still think Bryan Baker can be salvaged. He's got high K stuff, just needs to be used correctly. Even if all 3 of these guys can be pieces, I still think we could use 2 more bullpen pieces, especially a lefty

McDermott is probably not there to preserve his image as a starter to potential trade partners, and if he is still here on July 31st, I'd expect to see him in our pen shortly.

I do still want another solid RP, also preferably a lefty, and Sam Moll would fit the bill perfectly without breaking the bank.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

McDermott is probably not there to preserve his image as a starter to potential trade partners, and if he is still here on July 31st, I'd expect to see him in our pen shortly.

I do still want another solid RP, also preferably a lefty, and Sam Moll would fit the bill perfectly without breaking the bank.

I haven’t looked at his innings closely but I could see McDermott being tried as a reliever late in the season.  

6 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I like the apparent decisiveness so far given that our trades are among the bigger, relatively early trades. 

I think this was a lesson learned from last year’s deadline, when it sounded like some deals fell through because we ran out of time.

8 hours ago, sevastras said:

Out of curiosity, who would be ok if they traded for Miller and Skubal but they lost Basallo, Mayo, McDermott, Kjerstad, plus 3 back end top 30 in the system prospects?  I struggle because it hurts but I salivate at Skubal for a couple of years, Miller for even more and then you have a solid rotation next year with Bradish hopefully returning and Bautista, Miller, Cano at the back end of the bullpen.  I don’t know, I’m just thinking out loud. There has to be a point soon that the blocked prospects get a chance or are traded to teams of need. There are some really decent guys stuck in AAA because the guys on the MLB team are better and/or proven. 

I think you have to be careful with a big trade like that. The reason why we are so good now has a lot to do with team chemistry. Splitting up all these talented teammates will turn you into the Yankees if you’re not careful- not knowing if they will gel as a team. You can’t put a price on the chemistry many of these players have built up over the years. 

2 minutes ago, BirdCakes22 said:

I think you have to be careful with a big trade like that. The reason why we are so good now has a lot to do with team chemistry. Splitting up all these talented teammates will turn you into the Yankees if you’re not careful- not knowing if they will gel as a team. You can’t put a price on the chemistry many of these players have built up over the years. 

I understand the importance of team chemistry. Not sure I understand at all the reference to the Yankees. Their chemistry appears to be fine from what I can tell. Maybe you have some inside info there?

Our chemistry based on recent media revelations and Hays’ parting shot does not appear to be as good as you are stating.

Furthermore, even if our chemistry is superb, the problem is that “chemistry” is not very effective on the mound. Our pitching has been horrible (near the bottom of the league) for over a month now (since Bradish’s injury). It does not appear that team chemistry has the ability to fix that.

8 hours ago, sevastras said:

Out of curiosity, who would be ok if they traded for Miller and Skubal but they lost Basallo, Mayo, McDermott, Kjerstad, plus 3 back end top 30 in the system prospects?  I struggle because it hurts but I salivate at Skubal for a couple of years, Miller for even more and then you have a solid rotation next year with Bradish hopefully returning and Bautista, Miller, Cano at the back end of the bullpen.  I don’t know, I’m just thinking out loud. There has to be a point soon that the blocked prospects get a chance or are traded to teams of need. There are some really decent guys stuck in AAA because the guys on the MLB team are better and/or proven. 

I would be horrified if we made the trades you described.   That might be what we'd have to give up to get Miller and Skubal but it's too much young talent to give away.  I'm ok with giving up one of the "big 3" plus other minor leaguers to get Skubal, but I'd rather get a different closer that would come at a lower price than Miller.  

56 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t think anyone attempting objectivity could disagree.

Eflin is a nice add, but by no means “puts us over the top”. And as we have witnessed in the last 10 games. Kimbrel is nowhere near a shutdown reliever. Plus we are still slated to have to start one of Suarez/rookie bombs away 5th starter.

So, yes. Elias still has work to do.

Precisely, Eflin is someone the O’s absolutely needed as a starter they can count on to be solid every 5th day. When you need to add 2 starters Eflin is perfectly fine as one of them but he ain’t Skubal. (Stating the obvious)

Would I love to see Skubal here as a true difference maker; of course. With that being said who knows what the Tigers price is and Elias can’t wait till the last moment like last year trade deadline.

Whether it’s Fedde or Kikuchi etc etc I expect Elias to try hard to land another starter and my goodness we need some trustworthy relievers.