Mr. Henderson's wild ride at shortstop

He made two tremendous plays today, and two absolutely awful throws too. He now has 16 errors including at least one in 4 straight games. It's not likely he'll be the all time errors leader for the Orioles in a season. Willy Miranda has that pretty much locked up. He had 31 errors in one season. By comparison Cal Ripken had 3 errors at shortstop in a 161 game season. I do think Gunnar is too amped up on his throws, and sometimes defensive flaws can carry over to his plate appearances. I think Gunnar is really pressing. He also hasn't hit a HR in exactly two weeks.He needs to settle down.

• Upvote 1

Two topics on our best player having a bad week. Time for a break from the Hangout for me. 

C’mon people. We are better fans than this. And for all you reactionary folks, the game thread is here for you. JFC. 

31 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

It’s frustrating but I feel like it’s the least of the problems 

Corbin Carroll was considered equal with Gunnar last year as far as young stars. Compare them two now.  We good.

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

He made two tremendous plays today, and two absolutely awful throws too. He now has 16 errors including at least one in 4 straight games. It's not likely he'll be the all time errors leader for the Orioles in a season. Willy Miranda has that pretty much locked up. He had 31 errors in one season. By comparison Cal Ripken had 3 errors at shortstop in a 161 game season. I do think Gunnar is too amped up on his throws, and sometimes defensive flaws can carry over to his plate appearances. I think Gunnar is really pressing. He also hasn't hit a HR in exactly two weeks.He needs to settle down.

He’s no Mayo.  That’s for sure.

Gunner (and Adley) slumping is definitely a reason why the O’s have been treading water, but it’s just a matter of time until he gets hot again and then everyone will be raving about him again both offensively and defensively.

50 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

we wont know until we give Coby a chance.

I'm a little nervous about his defense at both 3B and 1B.  I think if he comes up he might get mostly DH AB.  If Mountcastle doesn't get traded it's hard to see many available AB for him.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I'm a little nervous about his defense at both 3B and 1B.  I think if he comes up he might get mostly DH AB.  If Mountcastle doesn't get traded it's hard to see many available AB for him.

Sign me up for replacing Adley's DH ABs with Mayo. 

The more I think about it, the more Kjerstad feels expendable this year. You have a lot of lefty OF bats, he's not great in Camden LF, you have more of a need for RH power now that Hays is gone and Mounty has stopped hitting home runs in any ballpark. So Mayo feels like more of a need right now. Trade Kjerstad, you still have Stowers providing similar output with the bat and better defense. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sign me up for replacing Adley's DH ABs with Mayo. 

The more I think about it, the more Kjerstad feels expendable this year. You have a lot of lefty OF bats, he's not great in Camden LF, you have more of a need for RH power now that Hays is gone and Mounty has stopped hitting home runs in any ballpark. So Mayo feels like more of a need right now. Trade Kjerstad, you still have Stowers providing similar output with the bat and better defense. 

I doubt very much that over a season that Stowers will provide the same offense as Kjerstad.   The defensive aspect, I agree with.    If Stowers could provide similar output with better defense he'd be a lot more highly thought of by the Orioles. 

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I doubt very much that over a season that Stowers will provide the same offense as Kjerstad.   The defensive aspect, I agree with.    If Stowers could provide similar output with better defense he'd be a lot more highly thought of by the Orioles. 

I agree over a full season. I'm mostly just saying, for the final 2 months of this season, I'm not sure Kjerstad is doing a whole lot more for this team than Stowers would. JMO

People scoff when they hear of the All-Star game hangover, especially for young players,, but look at Gunnar, Adley and Westburg since. Obviously Santander has been on fire with the home runs at least, but he's more of a veteran.

Gunnar is in a slump and it's definitely carried over to his defense of late, but he's also made some amazing plays. 

He's going to be just fine but he has become a bit of adventure over there and his OAA is down to $, which is still in the 89th percentile.

He'll break out of this soon. Westburg and Adley will to.