Seranthony Domínguez 2024

Frobby

54 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

Like Clay Holmes?  Groundball pitchers give up more contact, and are susceptible to BABIP induced failure.  Tbf Clay Holmes is an excellent pitcher and I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

Yes or like Zach Britton although he had a great K rate too.  At least that way they have to give up multiple hits vs walk and HR.

5 hours ago, Aglets said:

Both Kimbrel and Dominguez have now allowed 3 HR in their last 3 appearances.

Dominguez's HR/IP rate jumped last year and this after allowing only 9 in 133.2 innings 2018-22. I think the Phillies spotted a reason why.

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would rather have a groundball pitcher who doesn't walk batters than a flyball pitcher w/ a high K rate and gives up walks.  K's aren't everything.

I would agree if we had better infield defenders.

3 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

That homerun rate is definitely inflated right now. Last year he had a 1.3 HR/9 and this year with the Phillies it was 1.5. With the O's, it's approaching 3 after today's debacle. I don't know if that's just SSS, poor pitch selection, or some combination of the 2 driving it right now, but he was really good prior to that Boston outing. But allowing 3 dingers in back-to-back-to-back games is really going to hit the ole confidence section.

I think a more illuminating comparison, since his time with the Os is indeed SSS, might be 2020-22, when in 133.2 innings his rate was only .606 HR/9IP. That more than doubled during last season's 50 innings and is even worse in this year's 46.2 IP.

• Upvote 2

There is a lot to like about Dominguez.  K rate is very good. His BB rate is solid. 

In his short time with the Os, his str% is higher and he is missing more bats.

What I find interesting is that this year, there are a lot more barrels making contact off of him and he used to be much more of a GB pitcher than he has been the last 2 years….and the HR rate has gone up because of it.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There is a lot to like about Dominguez.  K rate is very good. His BB rate is solid. 

In his short time with the Os, his str% is higher and he is missing more bats.

What I find interesting is that this year, there are a lot more barrels making contact off of him and he used to be much more of a GB pitcher than he has been the last 2 years….and the HR rate has gone up because of it.

Hopefully, these are just his “Benitez Moments” or “Webb Moments”. Ole Webby gave up two bombs in the playoffs last year. 

58 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Big save for Dominguez last night. His fastball is a little too straight. Worrying. But he’s the best we got right now. 

Hays has proven to be very helpful to the O's this year!

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The last two at bats off Dominguez last night were really tenacious.  I’m glad he navigated through it.  No doubt he’s unavailable tonight, so we’ll see how that goes.  

Cano, Perez and Bowman should all be available tonight if you want to/have to use them.

Akin perhaps the closer?

Time for Burnes to step up and get out of his funk. A 7+ inning effort would be nice.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cano, Perez and Bowman should all be available tonight if you want to/have to use them.

Akin perhaps the closer?

Time for Burnes to step up and get out of his funk. A 7+ inning effort would be nice.

Bowman and Perez were fairly efficient but went well beyond their usual three batters. I am guessing Hyde stays away from them, especially Bowman. Would Hyde risk stretching Perez for 3 outs if Shohei comes in with two out?Cano should close as he was rested and pitched to only two batters. I think it's Akin, Kimbrel, Smith, and Soto to patch together the middle innings. We definitely need a quality start from Burnes.

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The last two at bats off Dominguez last night were really tenacious.  I’m glad he navigated through it.  No doubt he’s unavailable tonight, so we’ll see how that goes.  

Yeah, you could say the walk to Lux was bad, but he put up a really good AB. Instead of grooving one, Seranthony went for a perfect pitch, albeit missing badly. In view of the recent walkoffs, I think it was the smart play to avoid any mistakes to the lefty and go after the struggling #9 hitter. Thankfully Freeman was not available and we got some help from the Marine layer and a generous umpire.

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Akin perhaps the closer?

Some runs also would be nice.   Buehler hasn’t looked good since coming off the IL.