I really had hope for Cade Povich, but he simply isnt a major league pitcher

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A contender should have a 5th starter that's better then average.

I’ll be honest, I started researching the last ten years, hoping to show that this wasn’t necessarily true.

But it pretty much is. There’s a couple teams in the last ten years that perhaps had a weak 5th starter: 2015 KC royals (Guthrie), 2021 braves (Smyly). But even the Royals traded for Cueto at the deadline.

DNA of most champs the last ten years have consistent, across the board 1-5 starting pitching. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't really know how a prediction like that is reliable.   He has pitched 160 and 170 innings is the KBO the last two years.   He probably can pitch a lot of innings. 

There are off days so he will not be pitching every 5th day all the time.

He also threw 54.2 IP in a winter league. He didn’t have an offseason. 

Man, this isn’t a knock on Suarez. He’s given us a lot of IP. He can go to the bullpen and freshen up. Hopefully, we can acquire another SP to make that happen.

Suarez will be back in the rotation next year, and can make some spot starts the rest of the way as needed.

It’s probably a moot point, and Suarez is our #5 the rest of the year, and we’ll have a decision to make as to who starts Game 4 between him and Kremer if that comes up.  

20 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Here's Povich's pitch mix, it looks like his 4 seamer works pretty well. And the Sinker and Changeup after that. The Curve is getting crushed though.

Pitch Tracking

Year
Pitch Type
#
# RHB
# LHB
%
MPH
PA
AB
H
1B
2B
3B
HR
SO
BBE
BA
XBA
SLG
XSLG
WOBA
XWOBA
EV
LA
Spin
Ext.
Whiff%
PutAway%
2024 Four Seamer 283 191 92 40.5 92.2 63 50 8 7 0 0 1 4 47 .160 .148 .220 .269 .263 .275 87.8 24 2331 6.4 12.5 5.2
2024 Curveball 130 122 8 18.6 75.9 31 30 13 6 6 0 1 8 22 .433 .335 .733 .550 .503 .387 88.0 0 2418 6.3 26.4 18.6
2024 Cutter 104 57 47 14.9 88.3 25 21 7 3 1 0 3 3 18 .333 .330 .810 .724 .513 .480 90.6 25 2485 6.3 28.8 13.0
2024 Sweeper 70 10 60 10.0 83.0 26 24 8 2 4 1 1 6 18 .333 .166 .708 .332 .455 .245 84.4 25 2413 6.4 21.1 20.7
2024 Changeup 64 61 3 9.2 86.1 18 15 3 2 0 0 1 3 13 .200 .203 .400 .372 .289 .282 83.5 18 1739 6.4 17.9 17.6
2024 Sinker 47 14 33 6.7 91.4 11 8 1 1 0 0 0 1 7 .125 .199 .125 .257 .271 .335 93.8 -4 2101 6.4 11.8 9.1

That's great, but he needs some kind of breaking pitch to be effective. I can't think of any starters that have succeeded with only two fastballs and a change-up as quality pitches.

Forget about whether certain pitches get crushed.  He can’t reliably throw strikes, or even pitches that look like they might be strikes.  He has no idea where the ball is going right now.  It’s not primarily about stuff.   

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I am not upset with Povich.   He had a 4.05 ERA in 5 starts in June.   Yesterday he gave up 3 earned runs on a bad day with a bad defense and an umpired with an inconsistent strike zone.   If the defense and umpire were better he would not have thrown so many pitches and would have gone deeper in the game.

I am fine with him getting additional starts.

You think he got squeezed?   Ben and Kevin remarked how good the HP umpire was and that he wasn’t missing anything.  I watched the 2nd game and don’t remember any egregious calls against Povich.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Forget about whether certain pitches get crushed.  He can’t reliably throw strikes, or even pitches that look like they might be strikes.  He has no idea where the ball is going right now.  It’s not primarily about stuff.   

Imagine that. A pitcher who struggled to throw strikes in the minors struggles to do it in the majors.

I guess if I had seen him pitch more, I would have thought of that! 

And the stuff isn’t that great either. I do like his curveball when it’s working though. That can be a really nice pitch for him.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I am not upset with Povich.   He had a 4.05 ERA in 5 starts in June.   Yesterday he gave up 3 earned runs on a bad day with a bad defense and an umpired with an inconsistent strike zone.   If the defense and umpire were better he would not have thrown so many pitches and would have gone deeper in the game.

I am fine with him getting additional starts.

He has an 11.28 ERA in July.  He has 13 walks and 8 strikeouts.  For the season his ERA is 6.26 and his FIP is 6.27.   I’m not upset with Povich.  I’m upset with whoever thinks he’s a viable #5 starter for the rest of the year.

• Upvote 1

He's on his way to the same ~7.00 ERA Grayson and Bradish had their first 10 starts.

I agree he doesn't look like much help now, but he's someone I don't mind seeing throw the 5th game of next season, or two starts in the final week of the season if the division is settled.

The good Braves game, his Nebraska coach in an early innings hype interview said he thought it'd be a good night as he was landing the curve.    He hasn't had many good nights landing it yet.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t see him as trying to fool people.   I can’t think of one game where he had a consistently good changeup.   Maybe one game where he had a consistently good curve.  And his fastball command is below average.   Add it all up and you have a pitcher who can’t survive in the majors.  

Obviously, we didn’t see him at his best but the time for tryout camp is over.

When I say trying to fool people, I mean not trusting his stuff and trying to get them to chase. It could just be that he has no ability to command his pitches, which might be even worse. 

Unfortunately, Povich’s body language on the mound shows he lacks confidence right now.  He looks like he is hoping, rather than believing in his pitches.  He needs more time in AAA to fine tune the command and his confidence.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

You think he got squeezed?   Ben and Kevin remarked how good the HP umpire was and that he wasn’t missing anything.  I watched the 2nd game and don’t remember any egregious calls against Povich.

The ump in the first game was horrendous but the ump in the 2nd game was fine

I hope they take advantage of the rest of this year to make some major adjustments in AAA. Write him off from making more MLB starts this year, so be aggressive in trying to make changes rather than tweaks around the edges. I think he has a lot more ability than the run of the mill Bruce Zimmerman, Drew Rom lefty low velo types that cruise through the low minors and hit a wall when their fastball is exposed against MLB hitters. 

Povich’s fastball is not good but it is good enough if he has command, at least one second hard offering to wrinkle off of it, and the offspeed arsenal. He’s got the full kitchen sink but no command of it.

11 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

12 base runners in 4 and a third. Yes, the defines was poor and gave Toronto extra outs, but Povich couldn't put anyone away and again walked 5 with 7 hits. Not worthy of another start at this level. Even if Elias doesnt make another move he shouldn't see the light of day in the majors. Just another poor performance and it's looking like he wont get much better over time.No business giving him another chance.Not this year, anyway. Awful. Chayce McDermott isnt any better either.

It is hard enough to pitch in the majors with average to slightly above average stuff. When you have control issues is where the league really gets you.