O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

Who's going to keep giving me crap now for saying this was a bad trade? The guy is a dime a dozen pitcher and couldn't even make it 5 innings without giving up 5 runs in his 1st start. Say short sample size all you want but his career ERA shows he's at best, average. He's definitely not any better than Dean Kremer or Albert Suarez. He's the equivalent of a pitcher like Cole Irvin but at least Irvin could give you some innings.

It might have made sense to trade for Rogers in the offseason, but the O's needed a SP who could help w/ their playoff run.  I don't think Fedde or Anderson would have cost much more, in fact the WS return for Fedde seems to be less than Norby/Stowers.  As bereft of talent other than Crochet that the WS are, they should have been able to use at least one of Norby or Stowers and then add an appropriate prospect.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It might have made sense to trade for Rogers in the offseason, but the O's needed a SP who could help w/ their playoff run.  I don't think Fedde or Anderson would have cost much more, in fact the WS return for Fedde seems to be less than Norby/Stowers.  As bereft of talent other than Crochet that the WS are, they should have been able to use at least one of Norby or Stowers and then add an appropriate prospect.

I would have preferred Anderson. 

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

I would have preferred Anderson. 

Either one would have better worlds better than Rogers.  The extra year of control doesn't help if Rogers sucks.  Hopeful that Elias and co. can make some improvement but their record with pitching really hasn't been that good.

15 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Who's going to keep giving me crap now for saying this was a bad trade? The guy is a dime a dozen pitcher and couldn't even make it 5 innings without giving up 5 runs in his 1st start. Say short sample size all you want but his career ERA shows he's at best, average. He's definitely not any better than Dean Kremer or Albert Suarez. He's the equivalent of a pitcher like Cole Irvin but at least Irvin could give you some innings.

For the life of me I do not understand why Mike Elias made this trade. Could have given up less and gotten Fedde. 

Those of us who thought he was crap when the trade was made are done with him, yes.....

And Saurez didn't exactly impress out of the pen- maybe flip the two and have Suarez start with Rogers relieve?

The only silver lining I can offer is that Flaherty was excellent in his first start last season for the O's, then he was terrible the rest of the way.  Maybe Rogers will be the opposite.  

Or maybe Cleveland is stealing signs, as another thread suggests.  

It really seems like Elias panicked a bit knowing he needed another starter, but wasn't going to give up enough for Flaherty. I can't remember who else was left at that point? This was my least favorite trade we made at that time and this certainly hasn't changed my mind.

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

The only silver lining I can offer is that Flaherty was excellent in his first start last season for the O's, then he was terrible the rest of the way.  Maybe Rogers will be the opposite.  

Or maybe Cleveland is stealing signs, as another thread suggests.  

Cleveland has an amazing home record.

Just now, G54377 said:

It really seems like Elias panicked a bit knowing he needed another starter, but wasn't going to give up enough for Flaherty. I can't remember who else was left at that point? This was my least favorite trade we made at that time and this certainly hasn't changed my mind.

I still rate it above Eloy.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I still rate it above Eloy.

I hardly even count that one because it's so insignificant other than a roster spot perhaps wasted for a couple months.

• Upvote 1