O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

16 minutes ago, fansince71 said:

Except he appears to be no better than Povich or Irvin.

Come on. He's much, MUCH better than Povich. I don't love the trade, but he's a clear upgrade for the back of the rotation. 

5 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Cade Povich wasn't the option. Suarez was. 

Have you watched Suarez over the past 6 weeks? Rogers is a rotation upgrade, period. And hopefully Suarez stuff plays better in the pen as a long man.

3 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

People keep saying this, but I don't think that's true. Firstly, Leiter will be 34 on opening day next year. Secondly, Jack Neely can step into the Cub pen immediately(2.56 FIP 2.81 ERA 13.61 K/9 between AA/AAA this year). Lastly, and the part that is most exciting to me, is that Ben Cowles looks like he has made a major adjustment cutting his K% by almost 10% this year down to 17.7% all while putting up a 141 wRC+ in AA. He is 24 so age isn't on his side, but if the K% adjustment is legit, he's a major leaguer. 

Thanks.     There is 1 out of the 30 teams where many of us live with these guys season in season out since they are baby birds.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

We certainly can't do this every single year. And that's kind of what he promised was trying to not have rebuild periods anymore. 

Even next year it's like... we don't have another Burnes, and we probably don't have the pieces to trade for one. 

Right, you can't keep doing two for ones.

3 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

People keep saying this, but I don't think that's true. Firstly, Leiter will be 34 on opening day next year. Secondly, Jack Neely can step into the Cub pen immediately(2.56 FIP 2.81 ERA 13.61 K/9 between AA/AAA this year). Lastly, and the part that is most exciting to me, is that Ben Cowles looks like he has made a major adjustment cutting his K% by almost 10% this year down to 17.7% all while putting up a 141 wRC+ in AA. He is 24 so age isn't on his side, but if the K% adjustment is legit, he's a major leaguer. 

Cowles and Neely were bottom tier prospects for the Yankees, and the Yankees get 2.5 years of Leiter. Even if there's upside to Cowles/Neely, this is an incredibly savvy trade by the Yankees. 

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Unless you think Rodgers slots in as one of your top 3 starters in the playoffs, how does he really help us in October?

And unless a player does that, what is the point of the acquisition?

I don't understand this trade at all if you are serious about trying to win a World Series.

Well, it is really as simple as this.  Someone better than Eflin was going to cost perhaps two of our top prospects and that wasn't deemed worth it.  BUT moving two pretty good guys that were blocked got us a lefty that slots as a good 4/5 with upside that is controllable.  

So...and you know this.  The Orioles have been slumping on all cylinders for almost 6 weeks.  Giving up 6 runs a game and scoring very few....Adding Rogers and Eflin make it more likely that if the offense wakes up as it should, the pitching should be stabilized.

Perhaps we will even pick up another bp arm.   You cannot win a WS unless you make the playoffs.  And right now as it stands, if Baltimore adds a strong high leverage reliever, this has been a pretty strong trade season.

So, the point of this acquisition is the point of any move.  To make the team better today and or tomorrow.  And this move of course does both.  It just doesn't do what you and many others want.

I will still be disappointed if the BP doesn't get more help.  3 1/2 hours.  Let's see.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Re #7:   Are they driving Terrin Vavra, who is apparently being added to the roster to replace Norby?

Yes I was wrong about that. You seem to be the only one who had Vavra replacing Norby. Congrats. 

Who do you think will be here in September...Vavra or Holliday/Mayo. Point remains the same. 

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Whatever you think of Rogers or the Norby/Stowers haul, I don't think it's a good comp to last year's moves, since Rogers is not a rental. 

They probably think they can Jake Arrieta this guy and get a multiple year playoff-level SP. We'll see if they're right. 

They are all minor moves that improve the margins of the team. We had (and still have a chance though that hope is fading) to do something significant and meaningful that could have put us over the top.

Here's my main issue with trading Norby. He's your #5 prospect. In a loaded system. He'd be rated higher in other orgs, no doubt. You just fired a significant shot from your prospect capital for Trevor Rogers. I wouldn't want to be remembered as making that trade. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You disappointed me last night in the 9th inning.   Brown was talking about it being Geddy Lee's birthday and the anniversarey of Neal Peart joining Rush and going on and on about how great Rush was.   I was so sure you were going to post something to the game thread that I posted "I agree with the post that Moose is about to make".   But you let me down.

I think I'd fallen asleep by that point.  

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Here's my main issue with trading Norby. He's your #5 prospect. In a loaded system. He'd be rated higher in other orgs, no doubt. You just fired a significant shot from your prospect capital for Trevor Rogers. I wouldn't want to be remembered as making that trade. 

Did you think Norby had a long term future here?