Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Eloy will help with the Umps too. He’s a vet. More vet standing than Mullins and Mounty. 

How so?

Jimenez: 27 years old, 2035 PA

Mountcastle: 27 years old, 2231 PA

Mullins: 29 years old, 2564 PA

They’re all pretty equivalent in the veteranosity category.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, terpoh said:

I don’t think that’s a waste. I like the offense against righties with Mountcastle on the bench, at least currently. Treat Mounty/O’Hearn as a platoon. Maybe not a 100% strict platoon as Mounty is capable of starting against some righties, but not all right now. As you said, it then leaves Mounty off the bench against a tough lefty reliever for O’Hearn like we saw yesterday and vice versa when we face lefty starters. I think a month ago they probably hoped/anticipated that was Kjerstad getting the at bats vs righties at the DH spot, but something was clearly off with him since the HBP. Let him get better and get the rest/lower pressure games he needs. 

I’m not sure if Eloy is the every day DH bat we need long term,  but he looks good so far. If he falls off, you’ve always got Mayo as another option down the line and Westy taking 3B.

Yes, and if he can last until rosters expand then we get our defensive/pinch running flexibility back with either Mateo or Westburg. Hyde is going to have a nice set of pieces to deploy on the chessboard in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I understand. We value things differently. 

I won’t say complains more. But I believe that Eloy is more respected around the league as a hitter than Mountcastle. Former all star. More of a vet. And just more physically imposing. 

The physically imposing stuff matters with arguing and the umps. 

Does an ump want to argue with Eloy or Jackson Holliday?  They don’t want that big dude in their face.

You might not think that, but he’s Holliday’s caddy/enforcer in a way. Our whole young team for that matter. 

What?

Eloy is 30 pounds heavier than Mountcastle (listed) and that intimidates the umps?

Are you actually being serious or screwing with my before I've had my second cup of coffee?

And for the record Mountcastle and Eloy are both 27 and Mountcastle has more MLB at bats.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How so?

Jimenez: 27 years old, 2035 PA

Mountcastle: 27 years old, 2231 PA

Mullins: 29 years old, 2564 PA

They’re all pretty equivalent in the veteranosity category.

Eloy has a bit more fire than them. Mounty and Mullins are soft spoken. Human element. The umps aren’t carrying around their BBref pages. 

It’s just my opinion. 

Eloy has more “standing” than them. You know standing. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Eloy has a bit more fire than them. Mounty and Mullins are soft spoken. Human element. The umps aren’t carrying around their BBref pages. 

It’s just my opinion. 

Eloy has more “standing” than them. You know standing. 

Mullins had a 30/30 season, he's got a top 10 MVP finish.  How does Eloy have more "standing"? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mullins had a 30/30 season, he's got a top 10 MVP finish.  How does Eloy have more "standing"? 

Maybe this is quantifiable… how many missed calls has Eloy had this season?  How many missed calls have Adley, Holliday, and we’ll throw in Mullins/Mounty?

Is that data out there?

@Can_of_corn talk about standing?  Eloy literally had more physical standing than Mounty and Mullins. Who wants to argue with that dude?

But you want to quantify something that might not be quantifiable. It’s just my opinion. 

We can agree to disagree. I’m cool with that. But just picking apart any part of my whole statement is just getting away from the central idea/point. 

Stick to bullying the new people. I’m too old to fall trap into the group think gaslight. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Can_of_corn talk about standing?  Eloy literally had more physical standing than Mounty and Mullins. Who wants to argue with that dude?

But you want to quantify something that might not be quantifiable. It’s just my opinion. 

We can agree to disagree. I’m cool with that. But just picking apart any part of my whole statement is just getting away from the central idea/point. 

Stick to bullying the new people. I’m too old to fall trap into the group think gaslight. 

Oh, I almost forgot, can you go ahead and tell me what year Eloy made the All-Star game?

Baseball Reference appears to be in error and I'd like to send them a note to correct his stats.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm an adult.

As an adult I am aware that no matter how big the guy with the bat is that is complaining to me that he isn't going to actually hit me with the bat in front of 30 thousand witnesses and dozens of cameras.  Pretty sure you don't get to be a ML ump if you have issues with being intimated by large men yelling at you.

I think it's a bad take to make the case that having a physically imposing guy complaining to the umps is somehow advantageous to the team.  I also think you are either grossly overestimating Eloy's accomplishments or needlessly diminishing Mountcastle and especially Mullins. 

• Upvote 1

Eloy and even Rogers to a small extent are just lesser iterations of the Gerrit Cole or Kevin Gausman scenario of It took me a minute to find an org that could help me maximize my talent.

Eloy is much of the way down the Jesus Montero wunderkind who busted road, but I believe he's still nearer to Nelson Cruz than Jesus Aguilar overall.    Zooming in closer, the Delmon Young or Geronimo Berroa comps made by others I agree fit well.

I believe the big hopes are as much about the White Sox organization's lagging the other MLB clubs than him.    

Even low launch angle Eloy has some batting skill.    He and Basallo aren't Pedro Cerrano all or nothing sluggers.   I'd bet more than Mountcastle he is the teammate Fuller/Borgschulte might see value in Coby Mayo trading in game observations on between their first and second plate appearances against the SP before reliever carousel commences third time through the order.

I wouldn't be shocked if Eloy 2 years younger has more rest of career WAR in him than Anthony Santander.    

Rostering a full time DH for 2 months not 6 seems kind of analytically on brand, the yin to the yang of Adley inching towards the 100% catcher deployment I hope we'll get to see in October.    

15 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

You can't put a price on getting away from a team as bad as the CWS are. He can be a boost down the stretch.

So happy for Eloy who looked and sounded so grateful and joyful in the post game show yesterday. I hope he can keep it up, but there is a reason he was essentially dumped by the White Sox. Money. This late in the season Eloy is the 2024 version of Aaron Hicks. He might be good for a while, but long term it isn't likely he will be the player he once was. We have him on a little run right now, and I'm thrilled for him and us. But  it's not likely he'll suddenly lock in and recapture his past success over the course of a season.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm an adult.

As an adult I am aware that no matter how big the guy with the bat is that is complaining to me that he isn't going to actually hit me with the bat in front of 30 thousand witnesses and dozens of cameras.  Pretty sure you don't get to be a ML ump if you have issues with being intimated by large men yelling at you.

I think it's a bad take to make the case that having a physically imposing guy complaining to the umps is somehow advantageous to the team.  I also think you are either grossly overestimating Eloy's accomplishments or needlessly diminishing Mountcastle and especially Mullins. 

Questioning is an effective tool. That’s why law enforcement does it. As humans we’re prone to always respond.

So since questioning is your admitted “act” here, you pressure people into responding to your questions only to criticize any part of their response by dragging them far into the weeds. 

So let me ask you a question. Do you think you deter new posters, or posters with new ideas, from posting here in anyway?  If so, what does that do to page views, site traffic, conversations, and memberships?

What is winning?  Does it change the reality of what goes on in the field?  Does it change the reality of dollars/cents for this website/community?