O's acquire Austin Slater

Birds08

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get this move at all. Not sure the fit.

I think it was a salary dump so we could get Soto for free. Need SS depth after watching Westburg make errors yesterday. 

We’re gonna DFA Slater and hope he passes through waivers or someone takes his salary. I think he’ll clear waivers and be depth in AAA and possible a September Call up, or a platoon bat just for a playoff series. 

Gotta like that Rubenstein gave Elias money to just buy Slater and Jimenez as luxuries. Ruby might actually want to pay Burnes and extend the youngins. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I think it was a salary dump so we could get Soto for free. Need SS depth after watching Westburg make errors yesterday. 

We’re gonna DFA Slater and hope he passes through waivers or someone takes his salary. I think he’ll clear waivers and be depth in AAA and possible a September Call up, or a platoon bat just for a playoff series. 

Gotta like that Rubenstein gave Elias money to just buy Slater and Jimenez as luxuries. Ruby might actually want to pay Burnes and extend the youngins. 

Ah - if that's the case then things make more sense.  And if Slater passes through waivers, then it's even more depth at AAA.  The guy has hit well before.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m hopeful 

21 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Ah - if that's the case then things make more sense.  And if Slater passes through waivers, then it's even more depth at AAA.  The guy has hit well before.

With 5 years service time, he can’t be outrighted without his permission so it doesn’t really matter if he passes through waivers. He can force us to release him and eat his salary while he becomes a free agent. 

38 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I think Slater has a better chance to rediscover himself than Pache suddenly learning how to hit. 

9 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Slater can play all OF positions and has +800 OPS vs LHP from 2019-2023. He was basically the lesser costly Lane Thomas with CF capabilities. 

Good take. I think Slater beats out Pache, and Pache gets DFA today. We could still trade Pache as a DFA. Just like Irvin. Or anyone else we DFA. 

CF and LH SP have value. Do not be surprised if we get a little something back. Hopefully DSL fliers.