2024 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Sanfran327

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

I assume there is some truth to the reports of Austin Hays discontent.  Otherwise, it’s difficult to see the rationale for replacing Hays with Slater.  

Oh I have no doubt he was unhappy here and made his concerns known to management. His agent likely requested a trade.  I mean he threw the Orioles under the bus at his first Phillies press conference which I thought was kind of bush league of him. 

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

I assume there is some truth to the reports of Austin Hays discontent.  Otherwise, it’s difficult to see the rationale for replacing Hays with Slater.

Maybe, but also, with as little as he was playing, it's a great way to get a flamethrowing reliever without dealing from your farm system. In light of some of the deadline deals, that trade now kind of looks awesome. Or at least has the potential to. 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep..but they probably won’t be here by the start of todays game, so no biggie.

Presumably Pache and Kjerstad go.

So we still need to add Rogers, Eloy, and Slater so three need to go.  Kjerstad, Burch Smith, and Pache???  Pache vs Slater is the debate I would think.  

1 minute ago, gtman55 said:

Oh I have no doubt he was unhappy here and made his concerns known to management. His agent likely requested a trade.  I mean he threw the Orioles under the bus at his first Phillies press conference which I thought was kind of bush league of him. 

I'm sorry...what did he say that threw the Orioles under the bus?   I remember him saying that he was "going to a team with maybe a better chance of winning it all" or something like that.   I would expect him to say something like that.  

I think we are looking too much into this. Hays was a luxury with a market. I’m sure the Mariners were in on him too. Elias wanted a 4th OF that could play some CF which Hays can’t do anymore. I bet if you asked fans who they want to close the 9th inning in a one run game 1/3 would say Dominguez. Turned a luxury into a need.

5 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm sorry...what did he say that threw the Orioles under the bus?   I remember him saying that he was "going to a team with maybe a better chance of winning it all" or something like that.   I would expect him to say something like that.  

Totally fine with him saying that. He's right. The Phillies are a team who went deep last year, are loaded with veteran star players, and have a healthier pitching staff with a better bullpen. The Orioles did extremely right by Austin Hays. 

And he put up a instagram thank you to Baltimore, so as far as I'm concerned, O's fans and Hays should be good. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So we still need to add Rogers, Eloy, and Slater so three need to go.  Kjerstad, Burch Smith, and Pache???  Pache vs Slater is the debate I would think.  

I don’t want to lose Smith. I think they could be sneaky and put Suarez in DL with leg contusion.

We could get 3 extra 1st rd picks for next draft,

- Cowser if wins ROY

- Burnes if he leaves

- Santa if he leaves

Those 3 first rd picks, or even 2, will help replenish the value of the prospects we just traded.  Most were blocked or going to be blocked.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not sure Smith goes…at least he shouldn’t. He has looked good.

4 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Hays was correct.  The Phillies are the 2nd betting favorites to win the WS, and we're the 4th.  The oddsmakers agree with his statement of "better odds".  

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

We could get 3 extra 1st rd picks for next draft,

- Cowser if wins ROY

- Burnes if he leaves

- Santa if he leaves

Those 3 first rd picks, or even 2, will help replenish the value of the prospects we just traded.  Most were blocked or going to be blocked.  

I could be wrong but I believe Santander could be 4th round. I was looking at last years and only the top free agents netted first round picks.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure Smith goes…at least he shouldn’t. He has looked good.

I hear you.  It's either that or optioning Akin.  

8 BP spots,

RH - Kimbrel, Cano, Dominguez, Webb, Suarez

LH - Soto, Perez

The last spot would be Burch Smith vs Akin.  Both have options.