2024 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Sanfran327

Part of the appeal with adding Rogers is moving Suarez to the pen. Long term, he’s not going to be a SP. Swing-man who can fill in there, sure. But he’s out of options and we need to see if he’s worth carrying next year as a RP. 

He throws hard and has pretty good command but lacks a swing and miss secondary. Since Spring Training a lot of people have said they’d like to see how his arsenal works out of the pen if he can bump up the velo in shorter stints. When he had a look in the pen earlier in the year, the results were good but he was actually throwing a bit less hard than he does as a SP, which is very unusual. They need to see if they can fix something in his warmup routine (or whatever it may be) to get him throwing 96+ in relief. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

That doesn’t seem right. Chapman got 3 @54 and netted 4th. Hader got 5@95.

The round depends on if you are a revenue sharing recipient and if you are over the luxury tax and stuff like that.   Pretty sure we’d have those extra picks between the first and second round.

20 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Norby was just optioned to the Marlins AAA, for everyone so worried about losing him right now.

This has to be service time manipulation move, right? No way he isn't good enough to be on the Marlins active roster.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Elias had some good, mild spin last night on the broadcast that I liked. He said that, of all the starting pitchers traded with more than 1 year of control, Eflin was the best and Rogers was probably the next best guy available. 

Can't really argue with that, especially on Eflin. 

Rogers is averaging 4.2 innings in his 5 starts in July.  I'm not expecting much out of him.   

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The round depends on if you are a revenue sharing recipient and if you are over the luxury tax and stuff like that.   Pretty sure we’d have those extra picks between the first and second round.

Thanks for clarifying. Good news. 

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

This has to be service time manipulation move, right? No way he isn't good enough to be on the Marlins active roster.

I don’t believe there is any service time gain or loss at this point of the season. Only thing could be to try to keep 2025 ROY eligibility I guess. 

Just now, BRobinsonfan said:

Rogers is averaging 4.2 innings in his 5 starts in July.  I'm not expecting much out of him.   

Right.  He averaged 6 innings per start in June.   Not sure we’re going to see that guy but it sure would be nice.

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Probably if they want him to go for ROY next year.  Poor Norby, Elias deals him and the next team keeps him down still.  

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Sounds good too. When Smith hit 98 the other day even the Marlins announcers were shocked. He was on there team earlier in the year.

Take a look at Akin’s numbers. He’s actually been the most effective RP on the team this year by many metrics, outside Coulombe and this 7 IP stint by Smith. I don’t think he’s going anywhere. 

Akin also hasn’t been optioned yet this year. Retaining Akin’s last option is valuable for next year. The Orioles have control next year over the entire current pen right now, plus Coulombe. They have Bautista coming back. The only relievers with options are Akin, Cano and Bautista - if they brought everyone back and all were healthy to start the year, they’d have to option Akin and Cano. 

Of course, Kimbrel and Domínguez are on expensive options, Soto will be fairly expensive in arb and Coulombe and Perez also get raises on their options. It’s very unlikely they bring all of them back. But they may also add new RPs, and regardless the point remains - preserving Akin’s final option is valuable for flexibility in roster building this offseason. 

Trading Stowers and Norby (presumed landing spot was OF in Baltimore) thins out the OF rotation in the future. Cements in my mind the need to extend Santander.

Just like with Nelson Cruz when he was with the Orioles, I see no signs of an imminent decline. Nelson raked for years after leaving Baltimore. Elias praised Santanders work ethic to get / stay in great shape and said he’s been the heartbeat of the line up. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, terpoh said:

I don’t believe there is any service time gain or loss at this point of the season. Only thing could be to try to keep 2025 ROY eligibility I guess. 

He is "blocked" by Otto Lopez.

I feel for Norby there though.  Has been waiting for his chance for a while and likely assumed that would come via trade.  Well, he finally gets traded while on the ML roster for the O's and then immediately gets optioned by Miami.  Tough business. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=lopez-000ott

Edited by Big Mac

53 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

That doesn’t seem right. Chapman got 3 @54 and netted 4th. Hader got 5@95.

Correct.  Toronto and Houston are not revenue sharing teams.  We are.  That's why we get a Comp pick in alternating rounds A & B each year outside of Free Agency Compensation.  

• Upvote 1

Interesting. I had been thinking that Kjerstad would get demoted to make room for Jimenez but maybe not? Maybe Urias? 

Coulombe would obviously be huge. Wish they’d asked about the wayward rumor on Felix possibly returning in September.

2 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I thought Norby was good enough to make the Marlins roster . After trading many of their players , it should be Stowers’ and Norbys’ opportunity to blossom into ML players . I wish them both luck