I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

Not sure why this is a big deal.  We're only talking what, maybe  2 weeks to keep rookie status?  It makes sense for the team to keep  the possibility open for the additional Rookie of the Year draft capital and doesn't take away Mayo's opportunity of doubling his compensation next year by winning RoY.

12 minutes ago, geschinger said:

Not sure why this is a big deal.  We're only talking what, maybe  2 weeks to keep rookie status?  It makes sense for the team to keep  the possibility open for the additional Rookie of the Year draft capital and doesn't take away Mayo's opportunity of doubling his compensation next year by winning RoY.

Is it possible that it has NOTHING to do with preserving rookie status?     

I really don't have an issue with keeping him down right now with the way Urias is playing.  Whether people want to admit it or not he's hitting the ball well and is clearly the better defender.  

I like the draft and minors as much as anyone but I hope he's not being kept down for rookie status.  The draft pick isn't worth the delay to me.

But I do wish Elias would quit making statements about how close guys are that, IMO, are disingenuous.

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would certainly hope that is not the case.  I could see it not being the main reason, but if that isn't at least some small part of the calculus in their decision-making, they wouldn't be doing their job. 

If he didn't have defense to work on, when he was raking earlier I would have loved to have seen him called up. If he hit, stay up (give up rookie status), if he struggled get 2023 Cowser treatment and go back down.  But the closer we get to the 45 day mark, it makes less and less sense not to wait for it if every other hurdle is crossed.

Edited by geschinger
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The takeaway is that Roy is alluding to the notion that Mayo feels resentment towards the organization. That’s not good. 

He should resent that he is a defensive downgrade at any position he is placed and the Os don’t necessarily have the luxury or the philosophy of having a full time DH. 
He should work on his defense and appreciate that he will be ROY eligible next year and on a playoff team with World Series ambitions at the end of this year. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Too Tall said:

I just hope Coby keeps working on what he needs to do to get better -

Has a good agent-

Becomes the player he and we want him to be- 

AND HIS FAMILY DOESN"T READ OH!  

He is on Twitter which is 100x worse.

3 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I just hope Coby keeps working on what he needs to do to get better -

Has a good agent-

Becomes the player he and we want him to be- 

AND HIS FAMILY DOESN"T READ OH!  

I’m sure Roy has voiced his displeasure ad nauseam with the family already. 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He is on Twitter which is 100x worse.

OMG. I grew up when the adults would always say, "Young people should be seen and not heard." My grandmother's social media was Friday night canasta. She gave me many tidbits of advice. One was, "Son, when in public be quiet and they will wonder how smart you are - open your mouth and you remove all doubt." I was quiet on OH for years.

I just marvel at the changes I've seen in 84 years. Words matter and how and where we use them does too. Guess I'm still trying to understnd and adjust.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I think rookie status is maybe 5% of the equation.   The odds that Mayo wins rookie of the year in 2025, even if he’s eligible, are maybe 20%.   That’s no dig on Mayo, I’d say that about any top 10-15 prospect who wasn’t a consensus no. 1 type.   It’s dumb to keep a player in the minors if you think he can materially help the team in a tight pennant race just to preserve rookie status.   There have to be doubts about whether the player is ready to help for it to make sense to keep him down.  

We are what we eat.  If Mayo eats this, then he'll feel resentment.  Don't feed it to him or daddy.

But reality is he should bring it up to his union rep. Assuming the union truly represents minor leaguers more than on paper as much as the guys already on the roster.

He was compensated well at draft time.  I don't know his situation but players frequently have free housing in the minors.  He's on the path to make a few more million as a floor if he hangs around through his early arb years.  And we all expect much more than that.  I honestly believe he'll gain more as a full time AAA than as a bench bat.

Plus the team angle of rookie integration, defensive concerns, SS coverage...

1 hour ago, geschinger said:

If winning is the most important thing, keeping him down for another 3-4 weeks to preserve his rookie status is complete bs. There is no justification for that.

We have heard all year how difficult the transition is from AAA to the majors right now, so why wouldn’t you have him up getting those at bats now..if winning is truly what matters?

So, for him to be left down there, it better be because of defense or something like that because the rookie status stuff is bs…remember when Evan Carter was a lock to get ROY?  Yea, those things don’t always work out, so you don’t plan for it that way.

• Upvote 1

Does Mayo really give this team a better chance to win playing 3rd base?  Urias most definitely is more valuable with the glove and I think it’s highly debatable that Mayo will come up and outperform him with the bat right away.  I think the percentage play is to keep Mayo down.  Now Mayo has more upside, but he needs to focus on 3rd base defense as that is where he is currently needed. He had been playing 1st base recently.  If we were a few games back and needed a spark, I think Mayo might be the better option, but that is not the case.

I like Urias. He’s a good player but he’s not an everyday player. 

So the question I have is simple…who is the back up third baseman?  Is it Soto?  He has played 1 game at third in his ML career. He hasn’t played many games at all, so that may not be a sample that matters.  He is only listed as a SS.

Soto is a lefty too, so are we sitting Urias vs righties, despite that being his strength?  What exactly is the plan here?

• Upvote 1