I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If winning is the most important thing, keeping him down for another 3-4 weeks to preserve his rookie status is complete bs. There is no justification for that.

We have heard all year how difficult the transition is from AAA to the majors right now, so why wouldn’t you have him up getting those at bats now..if winning is truly what matters?

So, for him to be left down there, it better be because of defense or something like that because the rookie status stuff is bs…remember when Evan Carter was a lock to get ROY?  Yea, those things don’t always work out, so you don’t plan for it that way.

2 weeks.  The regular season ends Sept 29.  If he uses up his rookie status it is going to be based on days on the roster.  The 130 ABs might not even be an issue if he was brought up today as there is little chance of Hyde running him out there every day.  

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They can easily control his ABs.

Sure they can…but then why are you bringing him up to play occasionally? The whole point is to get him at bats to learn and adjust..by sitting him, you don’t do that.  It’s just stupid manipulation.

We don’t know if Westburg will play again this year and even when he’s eligible, how much time will he need to get going again?

So, you need Mayo to get as much experience as possible.  This idea that we should hold him back because there is some slight chance at a draft pick is idiotic and not focusing on what is important..IE winning this year.

21 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I get it, of course, but there's speculation and then intimation...

Not in this case.  This is just Roy being Roy and saying stuff. It means nothing. He’s just pissed he’s not up..and rightfully so.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure they can…but then why are you bringing him up to play occasionally? The whole point is to get him at bats to learn and adjust..by sitting him, you don’t do that.  It’s just stupid manipulation.

We don’t know if Westburg will play again this year and even when he’s eligible, how much time will he need to get going again?

So, you need Mayo to get as much experience as possible.  This idea that we should hold him back because there is some slight chance at a draft pick is idiotic and not focusing on what is important..IE winning this year.

129 ABs in 45 days would be like 3.5 ABs per game. He would just need a couple days off vs a tough RHP. That will not kill his development. That being said I could see them holding off until September 1 more because of the roster spot.

12 hours ago, 24fps said:

But is it true?  Because if it is, Roy just broke a story.  FWIW that wasn't my takeaway from reading his post carefully.

Not my takeaway either. It's Roy being Roy.

Remember when Matt Holliday was upset about his son not getting called up? Then what happened?

Jordan Westburg had over 700 PAs in AAA. Kjerstad's had almost 600. Norby over 1,000. Stowers nearly 1,000. Holliday has over 400.

Mayo's at 600, which is a lot, but Gunnar and Rutchman have been the only real exception to the rule here.

I'm sure Westburg was frustrated for having to wait to get called up. Does he care now?

Edited by dzorange

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

Little OT but should we be concerned about our defensive coaching abilities in the minor leagues considering how many of our younger players struggle defensively? 

My understanding is his issues are on his throws.  He fields the ball just fine but for some reason has the occasional throw go awry.  I’ve only seen him play a couple times in person at Bowie and he seemed to move fairly well and have decent hands.  I try to catch an occasional Norfolk game on the MLB app but it’s hard to tell on those telecasts other than the obvious.  

49 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Ramon Urias in July:

54 PA, .341 avg, .463 OBP, .477 SLG, .940 OPS

On the season he has a 105 OPS+. To compare that to someone who plays in a hitter's park, that's the same as Yankees' 1B Ben Rice, who is batting .300 and has a .746 OPS.

In Westburg's sudden absence, for me the competitive considerations boil down to this.

Are you at peace with Ramon Urias taking about 1/9th of the 2024 Orioles postseason plate appearances in an ALWC series with the Minnesota Twins probably throwing Pablo Lopez, Joe Ryan and Bailey Ober in those games?     It is in the range of outcomes Jordan Westburg's season is over.

There are 2 months of season to prepare your best players for the team's biggest challenge, true for all 30 teams as this morning Andrew Friedman has key conversations to figure out with Clayton Kershaw.    It isn't just us.

There’s some potential there. I know it’s one play but we know he’s got an 80/80 arm. He just needs to field the balls he can get to cleanly and make accurate throws. 

Gunnar is in a fielding slump. You think we can deal with Mayo making errors too?