I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

I like what @Can_of_cornsays about Elias - he doesn't blink. I'm not 100% sure he meant that in a positive way, but either way it's true. The guy isn't going to swayed by what fans or baseball pundits think, for better or worse. He's got a process and he's going to make the decision he thinks is most appropriate. 

Personally, I like that in my GM. I don't always agree with his moves or decisions, but at least I know he has a sound process and isn't just winging it out there. Even at the trade deadline he acknowledged he'll be haunted by some of his moves, because every GM is, and that's the game. There's no perfect decision. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Root cause analysis, trade deadline + Westburg injury non-Roy drivers.

If Rick Dempsey can be World Series MVP, Ramon Urias can be World Series MVP.     I'm not sure if blackjack basic strategy would recommend that play though.

That would be the greatest thing ever.  Over/under on the date for the 1st thread calling for Urias DFA?  May 1st?

11 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

We’re in the stretch run for the playoffs. I don’t think that it is the right time to have two rookies on the infield. I’m totally comfortable with Ramon Urias at 3b. 

All kinds of reasons to go with Urias for this stretch:

1. Urias is a very good fielder, and Mayo is supposedly a liability
  2. I think Urias will hit better with more regular playing time, plus he's been swinging it pretty well of late. Mayo has a high ceiling, but will have to adjust to MLB pitching.
  3. Soto is the better fit for this task straight up, IMO, and that's even more compounded by Mateo's injury. 

Unless Urias turns into a pumpkin, I think he will help keep us afloat until Westburg returns. Let's just hope for a speedy recovery for Westy.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Don't we all?

Perhaps, but at least most of us try to have a discussion about things. Roy just purges and logs off most of the time. Rarely considers opposing opinions or engages in discussion. And then expects us to bid on his auctions. Lol. I dunno, his posts are just not for me.

I understand and respect that he's a part of this forum's history. And I respect his long career in sports. It is what it is. I suppose there's no sense in me getting worked up about it. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

The reports on Mayo’s defense have not been positive at all. Can’t it just be that simple?  He’s not good enough yet?  And if he’s sitting in AAA at 22, years younger than the average AAA player, after watching guys like Norby, Stowers, Ortiz, Cowser et al bide their time like professionals (I think), and bitching about his position, then he isn’t the person we all think he is. By all accounts this is a kid who’s got his head straight on his shoulders. It would be pretty disappointing to me if he’s disgruntled at this point, given he has clear skills to work on, and clear examples that patience and hard work will pay off for him. He’s a better person, IMO, than Roy is giving him credit for.  

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

Ramon Urias in July:

54 PA, .341 avg, .463 OBP, .477 SLG, .940 OPS

On the season he has a 105 OPS+. To compare that to someone who plays in a hitter's park, that's the same as Yankees' 1B Ben Rice, who is batting .300 and has a .746 OPS.

Exactly for the short term, ride his hot streak out.....and presumably Mayo get a lot of reps at 3B. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Not in this case.  This is just Roy being Roy and saying stuff. It means nothing. He’s just pissed he’s not up..and rightfully so.

I agree with this, but Roy's not doing him any favors on the board with these types of posts.

4 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

2. I think Urias will hit better with more regular playing time, plus he's been swinging it pretty well of late. Mayo has a high ceiling, but will have to adjust to MLB pitching.
  3. Soto is the better fit for this task straight up, IMO, and that's even more compounded by Mateo's injury. 

Unless Urias turns into a pumpkin, I think he will help keep us afloat until Westburg returns. Let's just hope for a speedy recovery for Westy.

6 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I agree whole heartedly, except I will be surprised if Westburg is able to return. I love that kid, but I’m afraid we have seen the last of him in 2024.