Would the O's consider adding Bradfield to the post-season roster?

Greg Pappas

Forgive my memory, but the idea of bringing up a speedster to be (mainly) a pinch runner in the post-season, is not unprecedented, right?  I feel like Terrence Gore was one, but can't recall.  Bradfield is stealing bases at a great rate, with 53 SB's with 9 CS (85.4%) in 69 games at A+ Aberdeen.  He is (or at least was) known to be a high-quality CF, as well.  With Mateo potentially out for the playoffs, we don't seem like we'll have a real threat on the bench in many games.  So, while we'll have to see if Mateo is indeed out for the post-season, and recognizing this EBJ idea is quite unlikely, it still may become something viable to consider.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Forgive my memory, but the idea of bringing up a speedster to be (mainly) a pinch runner in the post-season, is not unprecedented, right?  I feel like Terrence Gore was one, but can't recall.  Bradfield is stealing bases at a great rate, with 51 SB's with 9 CS (85%) in 69 games at A+ Aberdeen.  He is (or at least was) known to be a high-quality CF, as well.  With Mateo potentially out for the playoffs, we don't seem like we'll have a real threat on the bench in many games.  So, while we'll have to see if Mateo is indeed out for the post-season, and recognizing this EBJ idea is quite unlikely, it still may become something viable to consider.

Maybe Billy Hamilton 2013?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Forgive my memory, but the idea of bringing up a speedster to be (mainly) a pinch runner in the post-season, is not unprecedented, right?  I feel like Terrence Gore was one, but can't recall.  Bradfield is stealing bases at a great rate, with 51 SB's with 9 CS (85%) in 69 games at A+ Aberdeen.  He is (or at least was) known to be a high-quality CF, as well.  With Mateo potentially out for the playoffs, we don't seem like we'll have a real threat on the bench in many games.  So, while we'll have to see if Mateo is indeed out for the post-season, and recognizing this EBJ idea is quite unlikely, it still may become something viable to consider.

I've been wondering the same.. Too bad he isn't right handed

• Upvote 1

Any consequences from starting his clock early? Might want to get him to Bowie soon, and then maybe a week at Norfolk before they call him up in order to speed the game up for him a bit. Even if he's used more as a pinch runner along the way to get him prepared for the role

• Upvote 1

I do not expect the O’s to spend a postseason roster spot that way.   However, if they wanted a speedster on the bench, I’d bring up Luis Valdez instead.  Valdez has stolen 165 bases the last 4 years at an 85.5% success rate.   He’s every bit as good a base runner as EBJ.   But unlike EBJ, we wouldn’t care about removing him from the 40-man roster after the playoffs and exposing him to waivers.   He’s not an elite defender like EBJ, but with Cowser and Mullins on the team, I doubt you’d be using EBJ for defense anyway.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I believe we would. EBJ came from a big time program in Vandy. He’s not going to be phased like a small time college or HS kid. 

Adding him to the 40 man really doesn’t matter much since he’ll be up sometime in 2026 at worst. 

It matters a lot.   First of all, EBJ will be up in 2026 at best, not at worst.  Once he’s up, we want as much flexibility as possible to shuttle him back between the majors and the minors.   If you look at most of our prospects, they haven’t transitioned seamlessly to the majors and never returned to AAA.   It’s nice to imagine they will, but the majority of the time, they don’t, even when they’re a lot more highly regarded than EBJ.  You don’t want to burn options two years prematurely just in case you need a pinch runner in a playoff game.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It matters a lot.   First of all, EBJ will be up in 2026 at best, not at worst.  Once he’s up, we want as much flexibility as possible to shuttle him back between the majors and the minors.   If you look at most of our prospects, they haven’t transitioned seamlessly to the majors and never returned to AAA.   It’s nice to imagine they will, but the majority of the time, they don’t, even when they’re a lot more highly regarded than EBJ.  You don’t want to burn options two years prematurely just in case you need a pinch runner in a playoff game.  

100% agree - especially for a player that may end up profiling as a fourth outfielder.  I would also add the point that burning options would have an adverse impact on potential trade value.  

Additionally, I think we’ll have better options and more pressing needs for using roster spots than a player who wouldn’t be a real option to bat.  

Mateo’s injury was to his arm. Seems he’d be rehabbed enough by October to rejoin the roster if all they want him for is to pinch run (which is all they’d used EBJ for certainly). No reason to complicate the 40 man with EBJ. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree completely.  I simply had not considered these ramifications. Thank you.

54 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Mateo’s injury was to his arm. Seems he’d be rehabbed enough by October to rejoin the roster if all they want him for is to pinch run (which is all they’d used EBJ for certainly). No reason to complicate the 40 man with EBJ. 

I would not count on Mateo this year. I know there is a high probability he will be back but there is a lot to that injury. When I had that injury I tore a portion of my bicep and had/have bone chips by the elbow. You are talking about 220 lbs of force coming down on him.