Burch Smith 2024

Big Mac

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

He still had to warm up. Remember, regardless of how many pitches a pitcher throws in a game, getting him up and throwing takes a toll.

I do think we tend to underestimate the toll just warming up can take out on a pitcher.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2024 at 11:56 AM, Sports Guy said:

I do think we tend to underestimate the toll just warming up can take out on a pitcher.

Good to see Burch with a scoreless outing last night. I like him. Kind of a poor man’s Brach. Maybe with an offseason with our pitching lab he can shorten the gap between Brach and the poor man version. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Burch is who he is and will be the guy DFA'd as soon as one of Webb or Coulombe comes back. I'm starting to get a little worried though that we never saw Webb again after his bad outing in AA last Wednesday.

You know, that is very interesting. He pitched for the Bay Sox and threw 21 pitches on Wednesday after pitching on Sunday. They had 4 games in the row, so presumably he could have pitched again on Saturday or even Sunday. They had an off day on Monday, so will be very interesting if he makes an appearance with them today. If not, you really have to wonder what's going on with him.

On 8/30/2024 at 5:31 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Good to see Burch with a scoreless outing last night. I like him. Kind of a poor man’s Brach. Maybe with an offseason with our pitching lab he can shorten the gap between Brach and the poor man version. 

I don't asked this in a jerk way so don't take it the wrong way  but what is this Orioles Lab I keep hearing about? If we are talking results I don't really see it. Outside of Bradish and Danny C has anyone else worked out in their lab? 

1 minute ago, Baseball fandom said:

I don't asked this in a jerk way so don't take it the wrong way  but what is this Orioles Lab I keep hearing about? If we are talking results I don't really see it. Outside of Bradish and Danny C has anyone else worked out in their lab? 

Albert Suarez

Cionel Perez

Felix Bautista

Yennier Cano

Austin Voth for a bit there 

probably others, that’s just off the top of my head  

Plenty of successful reclamation projects 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

There is a contingent of fans that think the Orioles have some magic code that makes players better off season, in season, heck some believe as soon as they show up in an Orioles uniform they will get better just by being in the same room as the Orioles instructors and computer nerds. 

Every team in baseball have some players that do better with their news team and other that are just as bad. 

Personally I don't think the Orioles are any better or worse in hitting and pitching development at the major or minor league level than most teams. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There is a contingent of fans that think the Orioles have some magic code that makes players better off season, in season, heck some believe as soon as they show up in an Orioles uniform they will get better just by being in the same room as the Orioles instructors and computer nerds. 

Every team in baseball have some players that do better with their news team and other that are just as bad. 

Personally I don't think the Orioles are any better or worse in hitting and pitching development at the major or minor league level than most teams. 

The Dodgers have been, to my recollection, thought of as the best organization for pitching development.  Recently they have been successful at resurrecting Michael Kopech. Any thoughts on why they have been successful?

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5756629/2024/09/10/dodgers-michael-kopech-white-sox-fastball/

On 9/10/2024 at 10:21 AM, Tony-OH said:

Burch is who he is and will be the guy DFA'd as soon as one of Webb or Coulombe comes back. I'm starting to get a little worried though that we never saw Webb again after his bad outing in AA last Wednesday.

He has an option, so even easier. Just option him and keep him in AAA in case.

13 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

The Dodgers have been, to my recollection, thought of as the best organization for pitching development.  Recently they have been successful at resurrecting Michael Kopech. Any thoughts on why they have been successful?

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5756629/2024/09/10/dodgers-michael-kopech-white-sox-fastball/

I don't follow the Dodgers or any other organization close enough to know who is better than who.

I just know the Orioles are not having some amazing success rate that makes me think they have some special "labs" that are head and shoulders above everyone else. Just look around the league and you will find very good players all over the league that came through other systems and players who showed up to new organizations and improved too. 

I just push back on people who think players like Jimenez were going to suddenly get better or why a major league pitcher will get better with an offseason with this organization. Again, I'm not saying everything is bad, just not special.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Right I don't get it.  They act ike most of the guys they bring in are  hits and I haven't really seen it except for Kyle and Danny.