Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

9 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

What years.  

2021 when he had an ERa of 2.64 and whip of 1.11?  Was that bad?  
2022 he was bad 5.46 1.5 whip

2023 he had ERa of 4 with whip of 1.22 was that bad?  

2024 4.53 ERa whip 1.53 which he was bad the start of year but very good the last half of the year so far.  

He has basically been an all star one year, been bad one year, been ok but hurt one year and been average this year with bad start then good stretch.    This narrative he has been bad for years is just false.  

I was about to go pull up his baseball savant page but I see another poster beat me to it. Please show where there is any hope of this guy suddenly turning it around beyond hopes and prayers. 

He wasn’t that bad tonight. My concern is he’s not very pitch efficient. He made a really terrible pitch to Fry, but if Urias doesn’t Roger Dorn the ball hit by Ramirez he’s out of the inning and isn’t facing Fry. Not exciting, and not worth giving up Norby, but not as bad as some are making it out to be. 

• Upvote 1

Not going to make excuses for the guy but there were some factors to last nights rough start. Cleveland is one of the best lineups against LHP. Hard for a catcher to learn and pitcher in 24 hours. His velo does need to tick up but I wasn’t extremely disappointing. I think Rogers will have a lot of homework between now and next start. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

He wasn’t that bad tonight. My concern is he’s not very pitch efficient. He made a really terrible pitch to Fry, but if Urias doesn’t Roger Dorn the ball hit by Ramirez he’s out of the inning and isn’t facing Fry. Not exciting, and not worth giving up Norby, but not as bad as some are making it out to be. 

Agree. He was just missing wide a lot, and like I said in my other thread, they were on ANYTHING in the zone, especially the fastball. It felt fishy to watch, I dunno. 

I'd still rather see what he can do over Povich for now. Not going to overreact to his first bad start in his last 11. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Agree. He was just missing wide a lot, and like I said in my other thread, they were on ANYTHING in the zone, especially the fastball. It felt fishy to watch, I dunno. 

I'd still rather see what he can do over Povich for now. Not going to overreact to his first bad start in his last 11. 

My take was that his back foot slider to RH was getting crushed for the most part.  His changeup looked good and the fastball is good enough.  But he needs that third pitch to be better in order to keep hitters guessing.  That was my biggest take away.   The slider needs to be better.

11 hours ago, Malike said:

Putting any stock into his start tonight, his first day with a new team, a new catcher and not having any time with the pitching coaches is silly. Give him a few turns through the order, then blow your lids, but to do it today is silly.

Agreed, and it seems he was calling his own pitches too, so it’s not like they could even change the pitch mix (unless they convinced him to do it himself in like, one afternoon) - which is pretty much the only thing you can change overnight.

He’s going to be the same pitcher he was in Miami until they get some time with him.

That said, I do think this dud supports all the other evidence in his peripherals that his recent stretch of games with a low ERA was a mirage. The Orioles are going to need to change some things with Rogers if they want him to be better than a 4.50 ERA guy. 

• Upvote 1

It might be over reaction to put too much into one start, but it’s not necessarily under-reaction either.

Last night was terrible, and no mistake. Rogers threw 94 pitches, he wasn’t fooling anybody, gave up a lot of hard contact including 6 hits and 3 walks in 4 1/3 innings.

The defense didn’t help, but the question is whether this performance is in line with Rogers’ median performance.

Some people are angry because Elias had no reason to expect anything other than he got, and spent two worthwhile prospects(and discarded a pitcher, too) to get it.
Even the people who aren’t angry can’t really say more than “wait and see” which is weak sauce when it’s the best thing to say about a significant pickup.

It takes two guys to make a trade, but this really looks as if ME wasn’t willing to pay for a difference maker, so got some kid from the clearance bin.

But he’s the guy we got, so let’s hope next time is better.

• Upvote 1

Reportedly he joined the team three hours before the game.  THREE.  I know, I know, no excuses.  But these dudes are human beings.  That's pretty disconcerting stuff.  Now, why he didn't get there any sooner is a decent question, but either way, it must be pretty jarring.

He'll be fine as a 4/5 starter.  Better than watching Povich throw that curveball out of the strike zone over and over again.

He arrived in the clubhouse 3 hours before first pitch barely had time to meet any teammates let alone develop a proper game plan or likely his usual gameday routine.  I am not sure how good he will be but I don't think last night's start should even be considered as a real test.  He was only starting because we did not have another option unless we made a move for Povich or McDermott.

Last night wasn't pretty, but I'm waiting to see what time to settle in with our coaches and players produces. Plus there is next year and beyond. He's a big lefty and the bar that has been set for number five in the rotation since all the injuries unfortunately ain't high. 

Facing the Guardians lineup in Cleveland is hardly the right environment to "wing it". Especially for a guy that's not going to beat guys on pure stuff. Hopefully he can rebound.

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Reportedly he joined the team three hours before the game.  THREE.  I know, I know, no excuses.  But these dudes are human beings.  That's pretty disconcerting stuff.  Now, why he didn't get there any sooner is a decent question, but either way, it must be pretty jarring.

He'll be fine as a 4/5 starter.  Better than watching Povich throw that curveball out of the strike zone over and over again.

I think the better question is, if he really did get there 3 hours before the game, why the Os brass thought it was a good idea to start him in the first place. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

Didn't help that he wasn't getting some of the pitches the other side was getting and got squeezed a good few times.  Thought he didn't look as bad as his stat line.  We will see how the next one goes when he has time to plan and actually know his teammates a little better.