Adapting to the umpire's strike zone

Sometimes I feel like the Orioles would rather be loyal to the true strike zone than win games. 

I am strongly in favor of automated ball-strike calls, but until that happens, the strike zone is whatever the umpire says it is.  You have to adapt to it.  If Jackson Holliday gets hosed by a called strike that's 6 inches off the outside corner, then that's what the umpire's strike zone is tonight, and you have to accept it.  We shouldn't see Adley take the same pitch with two strikes the next inning and then be surprised when he is rung up.  

And why is it that our pitchers never seem to take advantage of bad umpires?  If the umpire is calling pitches off the outside corner a strike to left handed hitters--and a lot of umpires do this, let's face it--then why isn't Dean Kremer throwing pitches to that spot against Jose Ramirez and Josh Naylor?  

5 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I do not want hitters to start swinging at pitches 6 inches outside. I don't care if the ump called one there earlier.

Agreed. It’s a poor approach and the chances of hitting those pitches well are slim.

6 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I do not want hitters to start swinging at pitches 6 inches outside. I don't care if the ump called one there earlier.

But if this repeats tomorrow I want to see Hyde arguing with the umpires this was an unacceptable strike zone. It's one thing if the same strike zone was called against Cleveland's pitchers, but it was not.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

But if this repeats tomorrow I want to see Hyde arguing with the umpires this was an unacceptable strike zone. It's one thing if the same strike zone was called against Cleveland's pitchers, but it was not.

He won’t do that. It’s not in his nature. 

It's only a matter of time before an automated strike zone is implemented.  I used to be firmly against it, but as long as there's a live ump at the plate (which there has to be anyway). it can't happen soon enough IMO.  I think you will see more offense once everybody adjusts to a consistent zone which will please MLB.

32 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

And why is it that our pitchers never seem to take advantage of bad umpires?  

Because they have no control. 😛 If an ump calls it 6 inches off the plate our pitchers will miss by 6 more inches 

Edited by Orioles0615

Just now, 24fps said:

It's only a matter of time before an automated strike zone is implemented.  I used to be firmly against it, but as long as there's a live ump at the plate (which there has to be anyway). it can't happen soon enough IMO.  I think you will see more offense once everybody adjusts to a consistent zone which will please MLB.

With the boom in prop betting we need to minimize the human element.

• Upvote 2