Colin Cowherd bashes O's fans for Tex boo's

isestrex

If he'd acted in the exact same way during the negotiations, and then turned around and signed with the O's, nobody would be talking about any 'character flaw' that was evidenced by his negotiating tactics. They would be talking about how great it was that he did the right thing.

Oh, I bet there would definitely be people talking about his character flaws -- Yankee fans.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I happen to listen to Cowherd. I do not listen to him for deep analytical sports discussions (tho many of his guests are very good), I listen to him for entertainment value. Similarly, one would not listen to Howard Stern to learn more about sexual education.

With that said, I heard a good bit of his discussion about this subject. I have to ask, where is he wrong? Obviously, you can find his delivery annoying, but as he often says (and I believe he is correct) the further away from the topic the more perspective you get. So if you simply strip away our emotion what would you see. Is he wrong that it was over the line to have "hate" signs? Well at the least, to me it doesn't reflect well on us a O's fans. It does make us look bitter and angry. He also said passion is fine but hate is over the line. Again, I tend to agree with this. The thing that I think gets most people's goats is his statement that the O's are irrelevant. Unfortunately, outside of Baltimore they are irrelevant. So is Pittsburgh, KC, Milwaukee etc. The points in defending Tex's decision are also correct, he chose to play for a team that is relevant nationally, for the most money, and can win now. I understand that he hurt people's feelings, but if you take a step back and look at what he said without the orange colored glasses you will see that he is unfortunately correct in this particular matter.

I happen to listen to Cowherd. I do not listen to him for deep analytical sports discussions (tho many of his guests are very good), I listen to him for entertainment value. Similarly, one would not listen to Howard Stern to learn more about sexual education.

With that said, I heard a good bit of his discussion about this subject. I have to ask, where is he wrong? Obviously, you can find his delivery annoying, but as he often says (and I believe he is correct) the further away from the topic the more perspective you get. So if you simply strip away our emotion what would you see. Is he wrong that it was over the line to have "hate" signs?

Honestly, what do you think those people meant with their "Severna Park Hates You" signs?

And even if you really think they hate Tex with every fiber of their beings and wouldn't stop to help him if he was lying bloody in the street, do you think their signs represented the feelings of the majority of O's fans? Half the fans? 10% of the fans?

Well at the least, to me it doesn't reflect well on us a O's fans. It does make us look bitter and angry. He also said passion is fine but hate is over the line. Again, I tend to agree with this. The thing that I think gets most people's goats is his statement that the O's are irrelevant. Unfortunately, outside of Baltimore they are irrelevant.

Brother, please -- you may have noticed that this is an Orioles-centric site. Maybe the O's are irrelevant elsewhere but obviously we'll not be sharing that opinion.

So is Pittsburgh, KC, Milwaukee etc. The points in defending Tex's decision are also correct, he chose to play for a team that is relevant nationally, for the most money, and can win now. I understand that he hurt people's feelings, but if you take a step back and look at what he said without the orange colored glasses you will see that he is unfortunately correct in this particular matter.

He is not correct, because this is not an objective matter. He feels the fans went over the line; most people appear to disagree. I disagree. There is no "unfortunately correct" here. We're all entitled to our opinions, so matter how ridiculous or goofy or illogical (and I have plenty of ridiculous, goofy, illogical opinions, so I should know).

Once he called Baltimore "irrelevant"...well that was pretty much when I started throwing things around here in the home office.

I really can't stand that clown.

11 straight losing seasons can make people question your relevance.

With that said, I heard a good bit of his discussion about this subject. I have to ask, where is he wrong? Obviously, you can find his delivery annoying, but as he often says (and I believe he is correct) the further away from the topic the more perspective you get. So if you simply strip away our emotion what would you see. Is he wrong that it was over the line to have "hate" signs? Well at the least, to me it doesn't reflect well on us a O's fans. It does make us look bitter and angry. He also said passion is fine but hate is over the line. Again, I tend to agree with this. The thing that I think gets most people's goats is his statement that the O's are irrelevant. Unfortunately, outside of Baltimore they are irrelevant. So is Pittsburgh, KC, Milwaukee etc. The points in defending Tex's decision are also correct, he chose to play for a team that is relevant nationally, for the most money, and can win now. I understand that he hurt people's feelings, but if you take a step back and look at what he said without the orange colored glasses you will see that he is unfortunately correct in this particular matter.

No, it's not over the line to have signs expressing hatred towards him. Or verbalizing said hatred. Stop attaching stigmas to words. All hate means is to have an intense or passionate disliking towards someone. So if you say passion's okay, and I passionately dislike someone, then hating someone's fine. You agree with me. And yes, Colin Cowherd is wrong. Completely.

Cowherd's a big-market guy. No one's allowed to hate anyone else unless it involves Boston or New York. Then it's great television, so he's all for it. I don't really care how relevant Baltimore or Pittsburgh or Kansas City is outside of those cities. I don't care what the national media thinks. I'm going to boo if I don't like someone, and I'm going to feel perfectly fine and normal hating an opposing sports team and an opposing player. I'm not going to have some ESPN hack tell me that I'm classless for doing so when he's going to blow smoke up Red Sox fans' tails for them feeling the same way. The "why" in this is completely irrelevant. As is his feelings on the Orioles. It's not him saying that the Orioles are irrelevant that irritates me. It's him thinking that Orioles fans are somehow lesser people for showing the same emotions you'd find at any Yankees or Red Sox home game.

I love the mock indignation here. Either he hasn't sat in the stands in a long time (and certainly not in the bleachers of, say, old Yankee Stadium) or he's just so disconnected from everything not New York or Boston that he doesn't feel like those fans get a say.

Either way, I'm actually mad at myself for wasting words on Colin Cowherd. He's probably one of the more childish and least intelligent radio personalities on any station anywhere. And I was saying that long before he took some swipe at Baltimore or the Orioles. He's a glorified shock jock. That's great, if you're into that sort of "entertainment."

Honestly, what do you think those people meant with their "Severna Park Hates You" signs?

And even if you really think they hate Tex with every fiber of their beings and wouldn't stop to help him if he was lying bloody in the street, do you think their signs represented the feelings of the majority of O's fans? Half the fans? 10% of the fans?

Brother, please -- you may have noticed that this is an Orioles-centric site. Maybe the O's are irrelevant elsewhere but obviously we'll not be sharing that opinion.

He is not correct, because this is not an objective matter. He feels the fans went over the line; most people appear to disagree. I disagree. There is no "unfortunately correct" here. We're all entitled to our opinions, so matter how ridiculous or goofy or illogical (and I have plenty of ridiculous, goofy, illogical opinions, so I should know).

I will agree with you on the point about judging 40,000 fans based on 4 or 5 signs or however many signs were there. That is actually something Cowherd calls out when others do it. He calls them "Exception Guy".

I understand this is a O's centric site and as someone who comes here daily I too am a huge O's fan. I am simply saying that if you put his comments in context for instance, that the O's are nationally irrelevant (which they are) than you can maybe understand what he is saying.

I suppose I am simply trying to look at this from a bigger picture than just as an O's fan. People can have "Severna Park hates you" signs all they want but don't get mad when someone who isn't an O's fan sees this and thinks it is over the top. We are all entitled to our opinions but if you have ridiculous, goofy and illogical opinions, don't get mad at the guy who calls them ridiculous, goofy and illogical.

Obviously, Cowherd is going for both love and hate to get ratings and you have every right to think he is a jerk, I was just trying to put his opinion into perspective.

No, it's not over the line to have signs expressing hatred towards him. Or verbalizing said hatred. Stop attaching stigmas to words. All hate means is to have an intense or passionate disliking towards someone. So if you say passion's okay, and I passionately dislike someone, then hating someone's fine. You agree with me. And yes, Colin Cowherd is wrong. Completely.

Cowherd's a big-market guy. No one's allowed to hate anyone else unless it involves Boston or New York. Then it's great television, so he's all for it. I don't really care how relevant Baltimore or Pittsburgh or Kansas City is outside of those cities. I don't care what the national media thinks. I'm going to boo if I don't like someone, and I'm going to feel perfectly fine and normal hating an opposing sports team and an opposing player. I'm not going to have some ESPN hack tell me that I'm classless for doing so when he's going to blow smoke up Red Sox fans' tails for them feeling the same way. The "why" in this is completely irrelevant. As is his feelings on the Orioles. It's not him saying that the Orioles are irrelevant that irritates me. It's him thinking that Orioles fans are somehow lesser people for showing the same emotions you'd find at any Yankees or Red Sox home game.

I love the mock indignation here. Either he hasn't sat in the stands in a long time (and certainly not in the bleachers of, say, old Yankee Stadium) or he's just so disconnected from everything not New York or Boston that he doesn't feel like those fans get a say.

Either way, I'm actually mad at myself for wasting words on Colin Cowherd. He's probably one of the more childish and least intelligent radio personalities on any station anywhere. And I was saying that long before he took some swipe at Baltimore or the Orioles. He's a glorified shock jock. That's great, if you're into that sort of "entertainment."

Well, we disagree obviously. I think it reflects poorly on O's fans to have signs saying that we hate someone. Now, if you don't care about how it reflects on us than thats fine but I do. I didn't attach a stigma to the word hate, pretty sure that was done long ago. I think Cowherd made it clear that booing was ok that he had problems with the hate signs that were based on Tex's decision. As a national media member, I am pretty sure that he is only commenting on stories that have somehow become national. The Yankee-Boston rivalry and any signs that may show up at one of those games is a completely different scenario than signs directed at a particular player based on a business decision that was made in the offseason. I think if "Boston Hates You Signs" were posted at Johnny Damon when he left to go to the Yankees made national attention then I am pretty sure he would have had the same response.

Regardless, I would think that you do indeed care what the national media thinks otherwise you wouldn't be posting about it. I mean honestly, I am not saying that each of us can not have an opinion nor am I suggesting that people can not have signs that suggest they hate someone, but if you are going to do that understand that it will probably not be embraced by the majority of people that do not have our same passion. I guess I am simply saying that if you are going to "hate" someone from the national media at least try to understand where he is coming from.

I will agree with you on the point about judging 40,000 fans based on 4 or 5 signs or however many signs were there. That is actually something Cowherd calls out when others do it. He calls them "Exception Guy".

I understand this is a O's centric site and as someone who comes here daily I too am a huge O's fan. I am simply saying that if you put his comments in context for instance, that the O's are nationally irrelevant (which they are) than you can maybe understand what he is saying.

I suppose I am simply trying to look at this from a bigger picture than just as an O's fan. People can have "Severna Park hates you" signs all they want but don't get mad when someone who isn't an O's fan sees this and thinks it is over the top. We are all entitled to our opinions but if you have ridiculous, goofy and illogical opinions, don't get mad at the guy who calls them ridiculous, goofy and illogical.

Obviously, Cowherd is going for both love and hate to get ratings and you have every right to think he is a jerk, I was just trying to put his opinion into perspective.

That shtick where he adds "guy" to the end of a group of people he's trying to stereotype is cute. Did he come up with that all on his own? Was he up really late one night thinking of ways to make him stand out? I can't believe people actually buy into his drivel.

Sure, let me take him in context. Am I not allowed to intensely and passionately dislike an opposing player because it's "crossing a line?" Am I wrong because he has a semantics issue with the word "hate" and making it into something it's not? Or am I wrong for intensely and passionately disliking an opposing player because I haven't earned it, because my team sucks so I don't deserve to intensely or passionately like or dislike anything?

I'd be willing to bet a strong amount of money on it being the second and third option here. My opinion wouldn't be ridiculous, goofy, or illogical if I wore a Red Sox logo on my cap.

I think if "Boston Hates You Signs" were posted at Johnny Damon when he left to go to the Yankees made national attention then I am pretty sure he would have had the same response.

1.) It would not have made national attention.

2.) If it somehow did, Cowherd (under direction) would speak of how passionate the rivalry is and how such displays should be expected.

I was enlightened last night by listening to Ken Wyman (Play Makers) on my way home from work. Wyman worked with Cowherd in Portland and went on a ten minute dissertation of how, utterly 100% clueless Cowherd is surrounding MLB.

Colin leads today's show talking about Baltimore saying it's a stereotypical city whom he bashed. Reads emails from people who said "I never listen but you suck" and gloated how people proved his point by reacting.

"By sending vulgar emails, you proved my point"

Uses the argument that IF Baltimore signed Tex it would have been like A-Rod in Texas where they spent all their money on one player and had nothing left in the budget to field a decent team.

EDIT: now he bashes downtown Baltimore saying "If you're going to take your wife out on the town... once you get past the Inner Harbor there's nothing! New York has everything."

"Blame your owner... don't blame Mark Teixeira"

Sure, let me take him in context. Am I not allowed to intensely and passionately dislike an opposing player because it's "crossing a line?" Am I wrong because he has a semantics issue with the word "hate" and making it into something it's not? Or am I wrong for intensely and passionately disliking an opposing player because I haven't earned it, because my team sucks so I don't deserve to intensely or passionately like or dislike anything?

I'd be willing to bet a strong amount of money on it being the second and third option here. My opinion wouldn't be ridiculous, goofy, or illogical if I wore a Red Sox logo on my cap.

Well said, sir. I could not agree more.

Well, we disagree obviously. I think it reflects poorly on O's fans to have signs saying that we hate someone. Now, if you don't care about how it reflects on us than thats fine but I do. I didn't attach a stigma to the word hate, pretty sure that was done long ago. I think Cowherd made it clear that booing was ok that he had problems with the hate signs that were based on Tex's decision. As a national media member, I am pretty sure that he is only commenting on stories that have somehow become national. The Yankee-Boston rivalry and any signs that may show up at one of those games is a completely different scenario than signs directed at a particular player based on a business decision that was made in the offseason. I think if "Boston Hates You Signs" were posted at Johnny Damon when he left to go to the Yankees made national attention then I am pretty sure he would have had the same response.

Regardless, I would think that you do indeed care what the national media thinks otherwise you wouldn't be posting about it. I mean honestly, I am not saying that each of us can not have an opinion nor am I suggesting that people can not have signs that suggest they hate someone, but if you are going to do that understand that it will probably not be embraced by the majority of people that do not have our same passion. I guess I am simply saying that if you are going to "hate" someone from the national media at least try to understand where he is coming from.

Maybe for everyone's frail sensibilities, we can get the word out to replace "hate" with "intensely and passionately dislike," that way no one's feathers are ruffled. Since apparently, using the word appropriately is crossing some sort of line that non Yankees and Red Sox fans don't get to cross.

No, I'm pretty sure that Boston fans had a very angry and visceral response to Johnny Damon's departure, had more vulgar and nasty signs than "we hate you," and the national media loved every minute of it because it was good television.

It's good for Colin's ratings to drive up the Red Sox and Yankees rivalry, so he's going to do it every day of the week. He doesn't have some moral issue with what Orioles fans did. He's taking that stance because he knows that he'll get a ton of Yankee fans to call in if he takes that stance. He's not morally outraged. He'll be more than happy to tell you that no one outside of New York or Boston matters to him. He routinely hangs up on callers wanting to discuss anything else.

It's not a different scenario at all. This will happen to Teixeira in Anaheim and Boston as well, and no one, including Cowherd, will have any moral issue with it. Those markets are large enough and relevant enough to have that opinion.

Or, as Colin himself would say, "I'm right, you're an idiot for thinking otherwise. Now let me repeat the same word 20 times in a single thought and make some ridiculous metaphor between this thought and strippers."

Uses the argument that IF Baltimore signed Tex it would have been like A-Rod in Texas where they spent all their money on one player and had nothing left in the budget to field a decent team.

C-Bag hasn't apparently heard of MASN or revenue sharing or the money from the MLB merchandising and TV rights...

Baltimore has plenty of $.

Archived