8/4 @ Cleveland, Burnes vs Williams

SilverRocket

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's clearly not an elite athlete.

LOL.  Well being honest those are the types of plays that Manny started to make as soon as he came up.  And I do think he is an elite athlete.  His attitude at times?  Not so elite. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Burns plays crappy defense, has thrown the ball away a bunch, everyone steals against him, he has not had a scoreless outing this year.   He is more a number 2 than a number 1 for me.   Bradish is much more that guy.  

Lowest ERA in the AL.

Most quality starts in baseball.

That's not a #2.

2 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Burns plays crappy defense, has thrown the ball away a bunch, everyone steals against him, he has not had a scoreless outing this year.   He is more a number 2 than a number 1 for me.   Bradish is much more that guy.  

Yeah his own defense and allowing 4 SB’s today certainly didn’t help. 

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I was one of the people who complained about Mayo's defense in the minors....but on that play it did not seem he really had a big chance to make it.  Maybe if he was a 23 year old Machado he makes it easy....but Mayo just isn't going to be that guy.

I have seen some studies about how much in ERA good defense can shave off. I mean, this just doesn't seem to be a big priority in the Orioles organization these days (which is totally uncharacteristic). They only grow bats, not gloves or arms.

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

One of the cheap hits was on him. He lets that Ramirez ball go (that he compounded with an error) and Henderson likely gets it. Ramirez’s second hit was definitely a cheapie though. 

Referring to the two hits before HR. Seeing eye hit and weak swinging bunt. 

1 minute ago, Spakman said:

He’s way too big and uncoordinated to play third base. First base is the only option other than that DH

to play third base

So far his defense at first has been even worse.

Some guys can't play first.

Didn't they try and get Delmon Young to play first? I think they decided he did less damage in the outfield.

Just now, Uli2001 said:

I have seen some studies about how much in ERA good defense can shave off. I mean, this just doesn't seem to be a big priority in the Orioles organization these days (which is totally uncharacteristic). They only grow bats, not gloves or arms.

I don’t agree with the idea they don’t value defense. They are clearly struggling right now. 

6 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

As solid as Burns is, he is just not that guy, especially against good teams.  6 runs today should be more than enough for a true ace. 

I said this a couple of weeks ago.  Burnes is obviously very very good.  But I never get that feeling from him that he is capable of throwing a no hitter for example.   Just be over powering.  

Would love to have him on the team next year but I don't think he is going to be worth what he is going to be paid.