Shohei Showdown - The Dodgers Series 8/27-8/29

Moose Milligan

23 hours ago, SemperFi said:

That's fine I am having a difficult day so I took some of it out on you also,  I aplogize for my tone.

Elias was hoping on Means and Bradish but he knew they were injured or a question mark, he (burdened by the sale) did not do enough to shore up the rotation either by trade or promotion.  That rotation to start the season was Burnes, Grayson, Kremer, and ? Eflin was a great addition which moves Kremer who has a 0 WAR to 4.  Suarez was another great find but those 4/5 guys are awful.

But my initial assertion that Povich and Irvin with a combine WAR of( -1.3) should not be starting on a WS contending team-and they have started 25 games.

Everyone has injuries and you can make the case 2-3 of those teams have been hit harder than the Orioles.

For clarification the WAR for the 4/5 starters for the other teams (ESPN) is:

Indians .7 

NY 1.5 

Boston .8 

KC  4.8 (w/Lorenzen) 

and the maligned Houston  2.6 (including Kikuchi) 

Orioles (-1.3)

That's a big difference, the other teams adjusted better than the Orioles.

Not surprising that the injuries to starting pitchers have hit the Orioles very hard. Part of the Orioles' roster-building strategy has been (and apparently still is) to make the acquisition of young pitching talent to be groomed and advance through their minor league system a very low priority -- apparently based on the reasoning that it's inefficient to invest significantly in acquiring young pitching talent since so much of it craters, from injury or otherwise, before getting to the big leagues. Instead, the Orioles have put together a starting rotation mostly with established ML pitchers who were (a) on hand before Elias arrived or (b) came via trades of minor-league position players or as free-agent rentals. 

That may be an efficient way to build a starting staff, but the acquisition costs are high, and the result is a lack of starting pitching depth in the system. That lack of depth magnifies the effect of injuries to the rotation starters.

OK, that was a pretty huge win.  Just a spectacular effort from the bullpen.  We know we won’t leave LA empty-handed and now have a shot to win the series or more.   Great effort by the Birds tonight.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, interloper said:

Hard to imagine a less enticing game to stay up past 10pm to watch. Irvin vs Flaherty? Ugh, yeah nah. 

Flaherty, by the way, has a better ERA than Burnes. 

It turned out to be a hell of a game.  Nail-biting yes, but exhilarating all the same.  Now let's hope Burnes can get back on track for game 2.

I fell a sleep around the 5th up 3-2, was pumped to wake up and see that score held and we got the W.  I thought for sure there would be several more runs scored the way that game was going.  If we can get a big Burnes start and a W tonight that locks up a series win and and a nice upcoming stretch of winnable series even with our injuries.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Quick search shows a listing for $299.00.  (17 already sold at that price)

For resellers that's plenty enough to wait for 7 hours.

No one going to a baseball game in LA should be that desperate for $300..I am surprised they went for that much though.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No one going to a baseball game in LA should be that desperate for $300..I am surprised they went for that much though.

I don't think you have a solid grasp on the collectable market.  I've seen crowds around the guy putting out Pokemon cards at Walmart before.

That one listing had a supply of 19 dolls, this isn't one guy waiting 7 hours to turn a 40 dollar ticket into 300 bucks.

I mean it took me 10 seconds to find the listing but if you want to act as if reselling isn't going on, I won't be bothered to stop you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think you have a solid grasp on the collectable market.  I've seen crowds around the guy putting out Pokemon cards at Walmart before.

That one listing had a supply of 19 dolls, this isn't one guy waiting 7 hours to turn a 40 dollar ticket into 300 bucks.

I mean it took me 10 seconds to find the listing but if you want to act as if reselling isn't going on, I won't be bothered to stop you.

lol..stop before you make a larger fool out of yourself than you usually do.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Orioles pitching gets to enjoy its 5th consecutive game with opponent's Yordan Alvarez/Freddie Freeman on the bench, in the category of "162-game grind".

I know I couldn't even get to work without a fully functional middle finger on my right hand.