Keeping John Means Y/N

HowAboutThat

2 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

In a recent thread, I mentioned that “we need to keep John Means.” I was utterly astonished that two members responded with the single question of “why?”
I can’t imagine not making every effort to retain him.

He is one of  only 17 LHSP FAs, he is the second youngest free agent left-handed pitchers available(Max Fried is about 6 months younger.) He’s not going to be expensive, and almost all the other available LHP FAs are either old, mediocre or wildly expensive…or various combinations of same.
When he hasn’t been injured, Means has been terrific. Yes, he’s been injured a LOT, but would you rather have Trevor Rogers?
Means has positive WAR despite throwing only 20 innings this season. 
If we hire him, knowing he won’t come back till August, he will be a very inexpensive insurance policy. If he’s unproductive, well, we’ve got all season to prepare for that, and if he’s productive, we’ve got another excellent pitcher for cheap.

This season he’s making under 3.4 mill and can’t expect much as a FA, so maybe a two year contract, for part of ‘25 and all of 26, and then back to FA at 34 if he’s good, and retirement with plenny o’ dough if he’s lousy.

But just letting him go would be the height of foolishness, especially after we’ve seen how little worthwhile pitching is available, and how bare is our own cupboard.

Bringing him back, injuries and all, is a total no-brainer.

What sayeth the crowd?

Create a poll on this thread. Yes, because Means is an Oriole and he wants to win a WS!

1 hour ago, Sydnor said:

I don’t know where you are seeing $10 million for Boyd. The Guardians signed him to a 1 year contract for $3.5 million that was prorated, so he’ll receive roughly half of that. He can also earn incentives.

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/2024/07/newly-signed-matthew-boyd-reports-to-cleveland-to-continue-rehab-guardians-takeaways.html?outputType=amp

That being said, I’m in the camp of wishing John Means well and letting him try to get back to the majors with another team. He had some nice moments during some tough years. I just don’t think the Orioles should commit a roster spot to a player that has been injured as frequently as Means regardless of how little he may cost.

I got the information from baseball reference, as near as I could tell this refers to his salary for this season.

IMG_2796.jpeg

The terms would have to be VERY team friendly and he would be a wildcard and not someone that is part of the plan.  Doesn’t matter if he likes it, but a bullpen piece for 2025 and “we” can talk about starting again in 2026. 

I think we probably move on from Means. Both parties probably need a fresh start. If we’re struggling to find money to make a run at Santa, or Burnes, then I don’t see us offering Means 2yr/12 million. 

Until Ruby spends, I’m going with Elias is under the same budge restraints as before. 

We're already going to be paying for and overseeing his rehab, despite being a free agent. If he would sign a 2-year deal and it's cheap, sure. But otherwise, he's probably going to have to settle for a minor league deal or a very incentive-laden 1-year ML deal in the offseason of 2025. 

• Upvote 1

Just an assumption my part, but I suspect the Orioles have a better handle on Mean's health and prognosis than any of us. I think their view of whether John Means will ever be an assest as a pitcher again will determine their course of action. I'm not a doctor or his doctor so I can't speak to that. The Mountain was an easy and inexpensive gamble. If the Orioles see future value, I could see a similar deal but with perhaps 2 mil next year and his current year's salary in 2026. I mean (sorry the pun), look at what we are paying this year for pitching that ain't pitching. So, if the Orioles see value, I say yes and will agree with that move. I have seen value in the past and we don't exactly have a boat load of pitching.

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

People really underestimate the importance of roster spots.

It's just an offseason 40 man spot, from whenever we sign him until he goes on the 60 day in March.

At worst it may mean one less guy we can protect from Rule 5 (unless we don't sign him until after teh Rule 5).

Over the past few years there have been plenty of players that have spent a winter on the 40 that people have wondered why are we even bothering.

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It's just an offseason 40 man spot, from whenever we sign him until he goes on the 60 day in March.

At worst it may mean one less guy we can protect from Rule 5 (unless we don't sign him until after teh Rule 5).

Over the past few years there have been plenty of players that have spent a winter on the 40 that people have wondered why are we even bothering.

Again, I’m not talking about the 2025 roster spot.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we probably move on from Means. Both parties probably need a fresh start. If we’re struggling to find money to make a run at Santa, or Burnes, then I don’t see us offering Means 2yr/12 million. 

Until Ruby spends, I’m going with Elias is under the same budge restraints as before. 

He spent at the deadline.  Eflin added payroll to this years payroll as well as an additional 18M next year which is more than Burnes made this year. Who was the last Oriole pitcher to make 18M a season?

I am not saying the O's are now going to start spending like the Dodgers, but saying we don't know if payroll is going to increase under Rubenstein doesn't make any sense to me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

Just an assumption my part, but I suspect the Orioles have a better handle on Mean's health and prognosis than any of us. I think their view of whether John Means will ever be an assest as a pitcher again will determine their course of action. I'm not a doctor or his doctor so I can't speak to that. The Mountain was an easy and inexpensive gamble. If the Orioles see future value, I could see a similar deal but with perhaps 2 mil next year and his current year's salary in 2026. I mean (sorry the pun), look at what we are paying this year for pitching that ain't pitching. So, if the Orioles see value, I say yes and will agree with that move. I have seen value in the past and we don't exactly have a boat load of pitching.

Didn’t they have a better idea than us the first time around?