Mayo coming back up

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Nice. 

I wonder if he will play any 1b while Mountcastle is out. 

I hope not.  In 172 innings (approx. 19 games) he’s got 6 errors at 1B in Norfolk.   I’d consider him a liability at 1B or 3B at this point.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Because he has dominated AAA and has stayed down long enough to qualify for ROY next year

If he had dominated AAA why send him down so soon after being called up? He actually saw his OPS decrease since returning to Norfolk.

He looked lost up here and I don’t know who you would play him over in a pennant race. He’s also a detriment in the field. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If he had dominated AAA why send him down so soon after being called up? He actually saw his OPS decrease since returning to Norfolk.

He looked lost up here and I don’t know who you would play him over in a pennant race. He’s also a detriment in the field. 

Because they have an extra roster spots.

Who else would you call up?

Just now, waroriole said:

Because if they kept him on the roster continuously to the end of the season he would have lost his ROY eligibility. The extra two weeks of Mayo may have been worth it if he looked like he might OPS 1.200 but since he didn't they sent him back down. Many of us predicted this.

• Upvote 1

His playing time with the O's the first time around was far from consistent. He can easily take the at bats that are currently being given to Eloy Jimenez at DH and they would be far more consistent than what he was receiving before- and he wouldnt have to worry about defense.

Rosters are expanding, not as if calling him up is sending someone else down.

Gives him a chance to work with the ML coaches and further acclimate to the majors.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Because if they kept him on the roster continuously to the end of the season he would have lost his ROY eligibility. The extra two weeks of Mayo may have been worth it if he looked like he might OPS 1.200 but since he didn't they sent him back down. Many of us predicted this.

So if you’re so worried about retaining his ROY status for next year, why call him up on August 2? Why not wait until mid August when he’d still retain it for next year? What if he didn’t suck when called up? Elias was ok with losing the status then?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rosters are expanding, not as if calling him up is sending someone else down.

Gives him a chance to work with the ML coaches and further acclimate to the majors.

Does he go down when Mountcastle is ready?