Take one for the team Adley

Wavetrapper

There has to be something hurt. His physical metrics are down from last year when there isn’t any reason they should drop. He’s was very good the first half of the year and then immediately fell off a cliff for July, August and now September. I’d be shocked if we don’t find out that he’s been playing a lot more hurt than they are telling us.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

They need to drop him in the batting order.  He's been an automatic out in the two hole.

If everyone else in the lineup was clicking and guys were healthy, fine, you might be able to mask that for a bit.  But that's not the case.

I'm aware that practically everyone else in the lineup is anemic right now, so I'm not sure who's a better fit at #2.  You can't get much worse than what Adley has done, though.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They need to drop him in the batting order.  He's been an automatic out in the two hole.

If everyone else in the lineup was clicking and guys were healthy, fine, you might be able to mask that for a bit.  But that's not the case.

I'm aware that practically everyone else in the lineup is anemic right now, so I'm not sure who's a better fit at #2.  You can't get much worse than what Adley has done, though.

I would consider moving Mullins to the 2 hole.  He has been fairly consistent for a while now.  It would put two fast guys up to the top of the lineup.  Maybe take the pressure off of Adley.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I would consider moving Mullins to the 2 hole.  He has been fairly consistent for a while now.  It would put two fast guys up to the top of the lineup.  Maybe take the pressure off of Adley.

Mullins hit an even .200 in August.  I thought about him and was about to make that suggestion but decided to look up his splits before offering him up for the 2 hole.  He his, however, hitting an even .400 in 25 plate appearances in September, though.  

Small sample sizes, but whatever.  Like I said, it can't get worse than what Adley's been.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd bat Gunnar 1st and everyone else 9th

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

Adley should bat 9th imho. The fewer at bats he gets the better until he hopefully comes out of his extended funk. He has 2 XBH in his last 78 AB's. Batting him behind Gunnar is ridiculous since Gunnar is the one getting on base the most by far lately. I agree with Cedric batting second against righties.

Another thing that makes no sense to me is why doesn't McCann catch for Burnes starts? It would still be very hard to nab the runners stealing bases, but he would at least give the team a better chance.

8 hours ago, ScGO's said:

He needs to catch up to the scouting report. Needs to start looking for pitches on the edge of the strike zone early and driving them. He's failing to adjust in my opinion. I also have serious concerns about his bat speed from the left side. 

Looking for pitches on the edges to swing at early in counts is not a recipe for success.

On 9/8/2024 at 4:33 PM, ScGO's said:

He needs to catch up to the scouting report. Needs to start looking for pitches on the edge of the strike zone early and driving them. He's failing to adjust in my opinion. I also have serious concerns about his bat speed from the left side. 

I feel like it's time to give up switch hitting.  I think that for the majority of switch hitters, it's a negative, not a positive.  For every Eddie Murray, there's 10 or probably 50 guys who hurt their careers (and they were not HOF careers to begin with).  

18 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

5th sounds about right.  And stop DHing so much.   I know the O's cut it back some.  You don't need a guy who has been one of your worst hitters DHing.