Tigers Series I

Spy Fox

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Look, I'm not about to anoint Livan Soto as some kind of a savior but he did more tonight than Jackson Holliday has done in two weeks combined.

I'm as big of a Holliday believer on this board as anyone else is, but my goodness he's not ready right now and it shows.  Soto needs to be the starting 2nd baseman from here on out until he shows he's as bad as Holliday is right now.

No doubt. Keep playing the kid. Clearly his glove is superior.  

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Look, I'm not about to anoint Livan Soto as some kind of a savior but he did more tonight than Jackson Holliday has done in two weeks combined.

I'm as big of a Holliday believer on this board as anyone else is, but my goodness he's not ready right now and it shows.  Soto needs to be the starting 2nd baseman from here on out until he shows he's as bad as Holliday is right now.

I think you might mean Livan "Lou Gehrig" Soto.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, play Livan at 2B until Urias and Westburg are back.  At least his defense is steady.  

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Anything at the plate is a bonus. His defense alone warrants playing him right now. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don’t think they want to make the playoffs at this point. They’d rather get to their vacation spots and golf trips.
    • Hyde isn’t going anywhere.   He’s the manager to start next season.   It’s pretty simple.
    • Key question is how to handle Mountcastle, O’Hearn, and Kjerstad in terms of playing time.   My inclination would be to keep Kjerstad at DH and platoon Mountcastle and O’Hearn, with Mountcastle or another defensive replacement getting 7th inning and later when we have the lead.   O’Hearn has outhit Mountcastle against righties over his full career, over 2024, and over the 2nd half of 2024. Mountcastle is the better defender, averaging ~14 runs better in DRS per 150 games over the last 3 years.  If you extrapolate out O’Hearn’s ~50 pt advantage in OPS vs righties this year, that works out to ~ 15 run advantage over 150 games. If you do the same for his 110 pt xOPS advantage, it is a little more than 30 run advantage over 150 games.  O’Hearn’s been in a slump the last few weeks, but may not be by the time the wildcard games start in a couple weeks.  Mountcastle was in a slump in August and will be coming back from a wrist injury. Perhaps Hyde relegates Kjerstad to PH duty, but I hope not.
    • Hyde is not on the hot seat now.  I think if the team plays the first half of next year like it’s played the second half of this one, he’ll be on the hot seat then.  Hopefully that doesn’t happen.  
    • Sure you can. If it weren't for the injuries and everyone was healthy and the rookies were playing like they belonged and they were STILL this bad, I'd be calling for his head, too. That's not the case though, is it?  Why's Kevin Cash still have his job in Tampa?
    • No, Hyde shouldn't be in the hot seat right now.  He isn't responsible for injuries, poor performances, having to play AAAA guys, or the lack of pitching depth in the organization.  If we collapse the rest of the way, and then don't make the playoffs next year then yes he should be on the hot seat.  But to be honest, Elias should be more on the hot seat than Hyde....he's the one who relied on pitchers with serious injury concerns/risk such as Means, Bradish, Wells.  He's the one who has ignored pitching at the top of the draft, and hasn't drafted and developed even one major league pitcher in his tenure.  And the hitters he has drafted/acquired have performed horribly.  That being said, I don't think Elias should be on the hot seat either...he still deserves the benefit of the doubt and a couple more years to correct some of the issues we're seeing now. The development of organizations and individual players isn't always a linear process...there will be bumps along the way, so let's see how Hyde and Elias right the ship...
    • Turns out there is a way to do this on Fangraphs.  Since the start of the Houston series (June 21), the O’s are 16th in runs/game, 12th in wRC+.  I still prefer to break it down this way: June 21 - August 16: 10th in runs/game, 3rd in wRC+. August 17 - September 17: 27th in runs/game, 25th in wRC+.     
  • Popular Contributors