Can Cowser still win Rookie of The Year over Gil/Wells ?

jem709

3 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

Is it me and it  probably is but does this year seem like a pretty weak clas in the AL 

Very weak.  OTOH, there's still a possibility that Jackson Merrill won't win in the NL.  Who didn't want Cowser to have had that rookie season?

Got to beat the Yankees PR machine, but I think he has a chance.  He has similar rate statistics to wells and 200 more ABs, which has lead to more counting stats (HR 20 to 13).  A lot of pundits are pointing to wells defense as a factor in the race, but those who know baseball also understand Cowser has been one of the best defensive OFs in the league as well.

Gil is an interesting case.  I think he's likely the pick because that Yankee lineup has carried a solid 14 wins for him even through his struggles.  He could end up with an ERA close to 3.00 as well.  Also of note, and I don't know if it will count against him is that Gil had 7 starts across two seasons in the league prior to this year.  While he didn't hit the innings limit before, that experience may count against him in the eyes of some voters.

If Cowser comes out this week and lights it up I think he should bury the other two, especially if they split the vote. A solid noteworthy week that draws some national attention (2 HRs is a solid start). 

Wells now at 1-for-18 and 6-for-40 last 7 and last 14 days - the rookie wall comes for many.    Next week I think still means something for the competition.

It is kind of a big deal tactically if Wells, still mostly hitting cleanup, is in a bad patch or tuckered out, and opponents can tread very carefully around the big guys.

I mean, Juan Soto's OBP isn't even .500, so you get him out a little over half the time, walk the other one, and then your pitchers and defense are playing against the other 7/9ths of the lineup.

Would I walk Aaron Judge 2 outs, nobody on, in the 1st inning with Austin Wells on deck?    That would really give the voting sportswriters some narratives to zoom in on.     Maybe I don't want to reveal if that is my strategy this month though.

23 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Got to beat the Yankees PR machine, but I think he has a chance.  He has similar rate statistics to wells and 200 more ABs, which has lead to more counting stats (HR 20 to 13).  A lot of pundits are pointing to wells defense as a factor in the race, but those who know baseball also understand Cowser has been one of the best defensive OFs in the league as well.

Gil is an interesting case.  I think he's likely the pick because that Yankee lineup has carried a solid 14 wins for him even through his struggles.  He could end up with an ERA close to 3.00 as well.  Also of note, and I don't know if it will count against him is that Gil had 7 starts across two seasons in the league prior to this year.  While he didn't hit the innings limit before, that experience may count against him in the eyes of some voters.

If Cowser comes out this week and lights it up I think he should bury the other two, especially if they split the vote. A solid noteworthy week that draws some national attention (2 HRs is a solid start). 

22 after last night.