G Rod in the pen (Update: Shut down for season, will not return for playoffs)

Big Al

52 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think we've seen a couple of things with Grayson now. One, he is a guy who has some injury concerns at this point because he's been unable to complete a full season since coming to the big leagues.

Two, he's not a quick healer. Lat injuries are tricky for pitchers, but what we know is that he's not a guy that heals quickly and get it back going. Last time he had the injury he missed significant time than was very rusty for awhile until he refound his mechanics.

I'm not a mechanics expert, but I know there are guys who have questioned his mechanics coming up through the minors. I don't know if his mechanics have contributed to his injuries or not, but I do know that it's hard to count on him for 30+ starts a season and that could become a concern next season if he has another injury.

I asked the question above, not sure if its something you can answer, but at this point in his career is it possible to alter his mechanics to make him less injury prone? Or would it require too much change and mess him all up?

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

I asked the question above, not sure if its something you can answer, but at this point in his career is it possible to alter his mechanics to make him less injury prone? Or would it require too much change and mess him all up?

Mechanical tweaks can happen, but they are not going to "rebuild him" mechanically. Plus, I'm not sure it's mechanical vs his body just doesn't hold up to that much strain over a season.

He's never been able to make more than 23 starts in a season and has never pitched more than 122 innings. 

He's obviously has TOR type stuff, but if he can't hold up over a season, they may have to look at potential converting him to relief to see if he can hold about pitching less innings but pitching more often. Now I don't think this decision is anywhere close, but if he has another season next year where he can't get through it, they may have to consider that.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Mechanical tweaks can happen, but they are not going to "rebuild him" mechanically. Plus, I'm not sure it's mechanical vs his body just doesn't hold up to that much strain over a season.

He's never been able to make more than 23 starts in a season and has never pitched more than 122 innings. 

He's obviously has TOR type stuff, but if he can't hold up over a season, they may have to look at potential converting him to relief to see if he can hold about pitching less innings but pitching more often. Now I don't think this decision is anywhere close, but if he has another season next year where he can't get through it, they may have to consider that.

I think, in the off season the Orioles should look for a TOR starter, despite the cost. GROD is not a TOR starter because he breaks down..in fact, the Orioles may need 2-3 new starting pitchers..theres never enough depth in pitching.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think projecting into 2025 I put Grayson at 20-23 starts and 120 IP.   I would hope the he can go 30 starts but I would not count  on him to do that when building next years team.   He progressed from 4.35 ERA  in 2023 to 3.86 ERA in 2024.   I would think he could improve to 3.50 next year at age 25. 

He has a 13-4 record this year which says that with the offense the O's can provide he can be a good winning starters.     This is all very valuable as a starter.  Not the ace we hoped he can grow into but an important pitcher next year. 

The O's have had 12 pitchers starts games this season.    I think the 2025 team has to be built with that kind of pitching depth.

Why does everybody want to jump and label a kid so fast? What is this, his 2nd major-league season? Yes, certainly they shouldn't go into next year thinking he's a lock for 30+ starts and 180-200 innings but we can't say he's already reached his peak either. 

34 minutes ago, vab said:

Why does everybody want to jump and label a kid so fast? What is this, his 2nd major-league season? Yes, certainly they shouldn't go into next year thinking he's a lock for 30+ starts and 180-200 innings but we can't say he's already reached his peak either. 

Nobody is labeling him anything but what he is so far. He's a very talented pitcher with TOR stuff that has not been able to hold up over a season. It's absolutely too early to make any decisions on him yet, but not too early to have discussions since they have merit.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think we've seen a couple of things with Grayson now. One, he is a guy who has some injury concerns at this point because he's been unable to complete a full season since coming to the big leagues.

Two, he's not a quick healer. Lat injuries are tricky for pitchers, but what we know is that he's not a guy that heals quickly and get it back going. Last time he had the injury he missed significant time than was very rusty for awhile until he refound his mechanics.

I'm not a mechanics expert, but I know there are guys who have questioned his mechanics coming up through the minors. I don't know if his mechanics have contributed to his injuries or not, but I do know that it's hard to count on him for 30+ starts a season and that could become a concern next season if he has another injury.

I certainly think he needs to develop (with the trainers) a stretching routine that will minimize the chance of another lat injury.  The good news here is that he hasn’t had a significant shoulder or elbow problem to date.