Os vs KC in WC round

Sports Guy

15 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

No chance they don't start Mullins in CF and Adley at Catcher.  Here's my humble prediction for the starting position players and batting order for Game 1.

Henderson SS 

Westburg 2B 

Santander RF 

Cowser LF 

Adley C 

Mountcastle 1B 

Mullins CF 

Urias 3B 

Riviera DH 

I realize that Riviera as DH might seem like a "reach",  but he's a RH bat, has playoff experience, and is currently riding a hot bat.

I don't think a "stretch" RHB makes sense for DH against a reverse split lefty with one of the best changeups on the planet. I could get behind Mullins CF if Kjerstad is DH. 

Bros, KC is a 500 team on the road and has a losing record against teams over 500. We on the other hand have a winning record on the road and a winning record vs 500 teams. We're getting hot at the right time.  The biggest problem is no lock down closer. We can never get a 1-2-3 ninth. Still, I feel good about our chances.

2 hours ago, Malike said:

KC actually has more than 1 guy who can shut you down.

But neither Ragans or Lugo are as good as Skubal.  I like our chances with Burnes and Eflin starting in games 1-2.  Bobby Witt is the best hitter in the series but overall our offense is considerably better than KC.  

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

But neither Ragans or Lugo are as good as Skubal.  I like our chances with Burnes and Eflin starting in games 1-2.  Bobby Witt is the best hitter in the series but overall our offense is considerably better than KC.  

Ragans 186IP, 146H, 15HR, 67BB and 223K's.

Skubal 192IP, 142H, 15HR, 35BB, 228K's.

Pick your poison, both should do the job about equally.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

More than anything, I really want to see the Orioles offense have really patient at bats like we know they can have. I want to see them drive up pitch counts. 

If they get all swing happy, it can be a long afternoon. 

I agree. I want to see good approaches like we saw in the Twins Series. I'd give you rep if I had any.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I agree. I want to see good approaches like we saw in the Twins Series. I'd give you rep if I had any.

I’m slightly (irrationally, I admit, there’s no factual basis for what I’m about to say) worried that Gunnar is going to view this as the “Gunnar vs. Bobby” show and press hard at the plate and in the field leading to bad at bats and unforced errors. 

Edited by Moose Milligan

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

That is my recollection as well. In fact, vs Ragans they stacked all RHB's with Gunnar, Adley, and Santander. I think O'Hearn's and Mullins' splits are so bad vs LHP it is probably correct to bench them, but we might want Cowser and Kjerstad in the game. Could we see something like this?

Gunnar SS

Westburg 2B

Santander RF

Mountcastle 1B

Cowser CF

Adley DH

Kjerstad LF

Urias 3B

McCann C

Not bad, but Mullins needs to be at Centerfield for his range, glove, and defensive ability. Top teir premium defense cannot be underestimated. Kjerstad will be on the bench. I think the question is whether Slater or Cowser plays. I would prefer Ramirez over Slater if they need another right handed bat.

Sig needs to look at Adleys recent sample sizes vs LHP before making him DH.

McCann is catching for Burnes and hitting the left handed pitcher. He's also on a hot streak.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m slightly (irrationally, I admit, there’s no factual basis for what I’m about to say) worried that Gunnar is going to view this as the “Gunnar vs. Bobby” show and press hard at the plate and in the field leading to bad at bats and unforced errors. 

I think if we get the fun sprinkler loving Gunnar that was in the dugout yesterday, I don’t think we have to worry about him pressing. He seemed loose and feeling good with the other guys he was with, like Kremer.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm glad we got the Royals over the Tigers. Though that is tempered by the concern from remembering the Orioles had a game where they couldn't hit Ragans.

They also smacked him around for 7 ER on 9 H in 1.2 innings. He can be beaten, though he certainly had a great September.  

We played all our Saturday games at home at 4pm. That should help us. 

I don’t know if that was the full reason we made the switch this year, but it had to factor in. We didn’t do so well in the day games last year in the playoffs. 

Also, don’t be surprised to see McCann get a big hit in game 1 and possibly just start this entire series versus the speedster Royals. 

Let’s go. We owe these “guys” big time paybacks even if it’s 10 years later. 

The lineup decision is do we start Slater over one of Mullins/Cowser. I sort of like the thinking “you gotta dance with the girl you came with” and start both Mullins and Cowser. Give Burnes the defense. 

Second decision… which of Adley and Westburg bat 2nd or 5th?  

1. Gunnar L SS

2. Westburg R 2B (or Adley)

3. Santa S RF

4. Mountcastle R 1B

5. Adley S DH (or Westburg)

6. Cowser L LF (or Slater)

7. Urias R 3B

8. McCann R C

9. Mullins L CF

Slater vs Cowser/Mullins

Adley/Westburg for 2nd or 5th

I love DH Adley here vs a LHP. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

7 hours ago, Malike said:

Ragans 186IP, 146H, 15HR, 67BB and 223K's.

Skubal 192IP, 142H, 15HR, 35BB, 228K's.

Pick your poison, both should do the job about equally.

I’ll pick the guy with double the walks, but yes both are very good.