Wait Till Next Year

Uli2001

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I thought Elias would take this team philosophy from a swing the for fences low OBP bunch to a group more focused on working counts, getting on base, and making contact. It appeared that way to me before the wheels fell off around mid season. I’m sure it’s been exaggerated here but we can’t seem to score runs without hitting dingers. Do you get it now? 

Just to be as clear as possible, when they were doing better early in the season, they were swinging more, not less.

4/1 - 6/30: 7.2 BB%, 49.3% swing rate, 29.8% out of zone swing rate, 22.2% whiff rate, .316 OBP

7/1 - 9/30: 8.7 BB%, 47.8% swing rate, 29.0% out of zone swing rate, 22.4% whiff rate, .315 OBP

2023: 8.4 BB%, 47.8% swing rate, 29.9% out of zone swing rate, 23.0% whiff rate, .321 OBP

They took less walks early in the year, they swung more often at both balls and strikes early in the year, and their OBP/whiff rates were essentially identical in both halves. 

The notion that they turned into free-swinging hackers in the second half — and that’s why they failed — seems to be pretty commonly held here, but it’s not backed by any data. They were actually more patient at the plate in this season’s second half than they’ve ever been during the Adley era.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

Just to be as clear as possible, when they were doing better early in the season, they were swinging more, not less.

4/1 - 6/30: 7.2 BB%, 49.3% swing rate, 29.8% out of zone swing rate, 22.2% whiff rate, .316 OBP

7/1 - 9/30: 8.7 BB%, 47.8% swing rate, 29.0% out of zone swing rate, 22.4% whiff rate, .315 OBP

2023: 8.4 BB%, 47.8% swing rate, 29.9% out of zone swing rate, 23.0% whiff rate, .321 OBP

They took less walks early in the year, they swung more often at both balls and strikes early in the year, and their OBP/whiff rates were essentially identical in both halves. 

The notion that they turned into free-swinging hackers in the second half — and that’s why they failed — seems to be pretty commonly held here, but it’s not backed by any data. They were actually more patient at the plate in this season’s second half than they’ve ever been during the Adley era.

Thanks for the info ….. The team OBP is a problem in my mind that the Orioles had before Elias that I was hoping he’d fix. our team OBP last year was .321 which was 15th best. This year it was .315 which was 11th overall. So the league appears to be down in that regard across the board. I’m critical about the fact that it seemed like we were constantly relying on a homerun to score runs.

Next year? Last year's playoff hurt. It was our first in a while and we didn't get any pitching. This year's playoff was downright embarrassing. We got great pitching and looked terrible at the plate. If this year's performance doesn't motivate those that return to improve all aspects of their game, I will be very surprised and disappointed. We were told last year was experience. Well this year was humiliation at all staffing levels. So, if that's part of "the process," learn and grow from it. Anxious to see what changes happen for 2025.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I'm surprised this topic has not been created. My apologies if I missed it. What do you see the team rolling out there next April and why? Here's what I have: 😄 Adley/McCann? 1B: Mountcastle/Urias/Mayo 2B: Holliday/Mateo SS: Gunnar 3B: Westburg LF: Cowser CF: Mullins RF: Kjerstad DH: O'Hearn? I'm seeing a lot of discussion about changing the team and hitting approach, but I think a lot of these guys are locked in. By Position: Catcher- Adley will be back (and hopefully back to his former self). We'll get a back up. Could be McCann. 1B- This may be the most likely place we could make a change. I think it's less likely than probably most think. But if we want to change up our offense, it may mean moving on from Mountcastle and I think that will depend on what we can get back for him. I think the plan would be to put Mayo there long term. Urias could be a placeholder until Mayo is ready (if he isn't at the beginning of the season). After the way 2024 played out with injuries, I think Urias will be back (rather than trade him or non-tender).  2B- I think this is Holliday's spot. But we will also bring Mateo back as utility and in case Holliday falters. They could also platoon some here. SS- Gunnar 3B- Westburg can play elsewhere in the infield, but will start somewhere. Where he plays depends more on who else starts. LF- Like Westburg, Cowser will start. It's a question of CF or LF. CF- I think we bring back Mullins. I don't see us signing or trading for a replacement who can fill the defensive void Mullins would leave. With our big left field, it makes it hard to move Cowser to CF and bring in a bat in LF. RF- I don't think Santander will be back. Kjerstad probably makes the most sense as a replacement. Mayo has been discussed as an option in RF, but I don't think he has played there yet in the minors. Seems like he's ticketed for 1B if 3B doesn't work out. If we're looking to change up the hitting, we could sign someone to play here.  DH- There is some crossover with RF here, but this is another spot where we could bring someone in. I could see us bringing back O'Hearn on his option too. I believe the above would leave one roster spot, which would need to be dedicated to a RH 4th OF, who ideally can play all 3 spots in the OF. I guess we could get a corner and just move Cowser over when Mullins needs a day off, but he needs to be someone we are comfortable playing in our big LF at least. This is probably a role player who may not make a big difference, but would be pretty important if we have three starting outfielders who all hit left handed (and potentially O'Hearn as primary DH who is also left handed). I write all of this because it's fun to consider, but also because I think it will be hard to significantly change our hitting externally. Our target spots are really only 1B, RF, DH. And I'd say we probably need someone who can hit right-handed (in our big park).  
    • Here's an update on Jackson tweaking or possibly eliminating the leg kick. I hope Kjerstad takes notice.  
    • I actually meant to specify that in my post, as it’s a very important point. Difficult to talk an aging RH hitter into moving from the Crawford boxes to Walltimore.  I hate that wall. I really hope they take a strong look at moving it back in to some extent. I think it’s hurt us more than it’s helped. It was one thing to try to move away from being a total bandbox, but…it feels like an overcorrection when your players are having to change their entire approach to try to adjust for the outfield dimensions.
    • I would argue the biggest part of the Orioles success is their player development for hitters.  Gunnar Adley Westburg Cowser  Have more possibilities with other young players. The lack of clutch in October os a reality until they change it but those players put this team in position to be in postseason. 
    • I can absolutely understand that.  The wall is almost as stupid as that awful hotel eyesore in left field.    
    • Bregman has said that he is not interested in Baltimore because of the wall. Thats going to be a common theme among RH hitting free agents
    • Povich will be in our rotation next year, book it. Kid came on strong down the stretch, he vastly improved his command and his stuff plays. Get used to seeing Povich, he’s gonna be a mainstay for years to come
  • Popular Contributors