Worst Orioles Loss of My Lifetime

Grt 2BA FL Gator

The 1969 WS was very bad. Looking back their pitching was world class. This one hurt more than that. We have hitters up and down our lineup. The best we could do is two runs over 18 innings. Urias Mounty and Westy back in the lineup. I thought we would sweep KC at home with Burnes and Eflin starting. The at bats was hard to believe it was so bad. I don't think Hyde is getting the most out of our team. He has to go.

13 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

That 2016 team wasn't the same for me as 2012 and 2014.  They basically played .500 ball over the second half, and in fact had losing months in July and August. Going 7-2 in the last 9 games gave them a winning September, but that year was kind of similar to this one in that it was a slog for a very long period of time and we never really had the magic of 2012 or 2014.

And their offensive approach in the Toronto WC game was so horrible that I think they could have brought in Britton and every great reliever in the league and they still were never scoring again in that game.  After Stroman left, they went 5 innings with no hits, one walk, and six strikeouts.  

The 2016 team was pretty much the 2024 team, but with more veterans. Same good 1st half then .500 and slog of a 2nd half. Picked it up towards the end only to be eliminated immediately. 2016 team didnt have the benefit of bouncing back after one loss but I would have given them <5% chance of winning 2 games in a row at Toronto.

6 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I waited a long time for the Orioles to be competitive enough to make the playoffs. 2012-16 brought some joy.

But this squad, starting in 2022, had a different vibe. More talent up and down the system. 100 wins. Traded for an ace. 

10 straight playoff losses over 10 years. Sheesh! Bookended by the Royals, who Baltimore chop and infield hit their way past us.

It’s like losing again to them in this fashion kicked up all the feels. Would rather have faced Skubal and the Tigers in hindsight, at least that would have been a new experience.

For me, this is just a helluva narrative and a bitter pill.

10 straight losses. 6 to the lowly Royals.

I still have hope this core can make something happen in the coming years.

But today and for a while, there’s disappointment and anger. My favorite hobby twisting the proverbial knife.  

You will have a different perspective in one week. This team would NEVER be making the WS this year, much less winning it. In 2014 they had a shot, so the loss was harder. In 1997, they were *supposed* to win, they had elite hitting, pitching, and defense. Then the ball bounced all over the place in the ALCS, always in the Indians favor. That Game 6 11-inning 1-0 loss was much worse than this.

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I get what the OP is getting at and I agree with it to a degree.  It wasn't so much that one game, but what that one game represented.  It was a collapse of hopes/dreams that had been building up for the last 6 years.  The last 3 months was a systemic failure that we (I) didn't even think was capable of happening and then it unfolded before our eyes.  And by the time the game was over last night, it made you look at the franchise, and the last 6 years, through a completely different lens. 

Out of rep, but a good restatement of my thoughts.

I do hope that there could be upward trajectory from here and adjustments and growth made, but I did not expect this core squad to add to the playoff misery in this continuing way and it’s certainly confidence shaking.

And dammit, why’d it have to be a pretty pedestrian Royals team?

They’ve got Yuli Gurriel batting 5th!!  Not Lourdes, freaking Yuli!! Who is 40 years old and stopped being relevant in 2021. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

10 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

You will have a different perspective in one week. This team would NEVER be making the WS this year, much less winning it. In 2014 they had a shot, so the loss was harder. In 1997, they were *supposed* to win, they had elite hitting, pitching, and defense. Then the ball bounced all over the place in the ALCS, always in the Indians favor. That Game 6 11-inning 1-0 loss was much worse than this.

This thread made me check the box score and get angry all over again.

Team LOB: 14.
With RISP: 0 for 12.

Perhaps this is an Orioles thing. By the way, all four losses in that series by 1 run.