Elias: Hyde will be back

Sports Guy

26 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Finishing with a 91-71 , and make postseason as # 4 is nothing to sneeze at . And considering the circumstances as well .  But yes , it’s hard to ignore being swept at home by KC and by Tex in postseason . 

My question 🙋‍♂️ is……..how long is the leash ? 

This.  I think that if they come out sleep walking in 2025 and are lingering at +/- 1 or 2 games of .500 by the ASG...he gone.

18 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I think there are some real concerns with him and to just dismiss them out of hand is disingenuous. 

I'm not sure I agree that there are a ton of concerns. I can count on one hand the amount of moves I disagreed with from this season. The team likes him. The clubhouse is tight. I don't really buy that there were clubhouse issues other than Hays wanting to play more, which of course he would want to. Haven't seen much evidence beyond that. Roch reported that the clubhouse is fine, even. 

Hyde doesn't control the ABs, he held team meetings where he let them know the level of play was unacceptable, according to O'Hearn, who appreciated how he handled that.

So... I dunno. I see no glaring issues really with him specifically. Yes, the organization needs a top-down assessment of their methods as it pertains to situational hitting and maybe player development, and Elias has to improve some things. 

I disagree with talking about what he has to work with. Hyde had more to work with, even with injuries, than a lot of teams and still fell on his face the entire second half of the season.

Sure Hyde doesn’t swing the bats, but a team wide 3 month slump is glaring and a manager needs to take ownership. 

Then comes his absolutely awful line up and in game decision making. He is a slave to match ups and has never heard the term “reverse splits”. We all have this data at our fingertips so this isn’t hind-site. Just look at game 1. EVERYONE knew that Ragans dominates righties despite being a lefty, so Hyde obviously loads up on righties. Of course 3 of our 4 hits against him were from the left hand side. Don’t have enough time to get into his bullpen usage. It’s an ongoing problem that he has shown he is not learning from.  Next year already feels like a wasted year. They better be active in FA because Hyde needs an all star team to win it all, and dump the hitting coaches because they are stealing from the organization at this point.

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well it ends the “will he be back” questions and threads.

Now we have 7 threads a week about should he be back.

Agreed, but I was in the camp of I think a  change would be best at this point.  Hyde has been here for 6 years.  You can't get rid of most of the players but you can get rid of the manager.  I feel this team got too complacent too comfortable.  Success almost came to easily for them.  They lost that hunger that eye of the tiger.  Just look at the Royals and better yet the Tigers.  Totally different vibe then Baltimore.  I feel Buck would get more out of this team and have a higher degree of accountability for the players than Hyde at this point.  Just my opinion.  I would also be very happy with Mark DeRosa as well.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Think Hyde has the injuries excuse being that Urias, Mountcastle, and Westburg all came back a week before the playoffs. So, the question is whether they were still rusty. I think it was definitely right to have them play vs the previous guys, but it's an excuse he has. 

This is such BS.  Guys got hurt yes, but it wasn't the fill-ins that killed us in September, it was the regulars who we all expected to be better.  What's the excuse for those guys?  We expected the fill-ins' to create a drag on us, but certainly not the regulars who weren't hurt.

Lets please stop with the injury excuse.  Even if Westburg, Mountcastle and Urias were not in top form, the rest of the guys have to come up with a couple of runs in the playoffs, and they didn't.  

Next Man Up.....Did Not Happen.

Good, because the whole 'fire the manager/coach' take is just the laziest possible take.  Hyde is like reason #109 on the list of things that contributed to a frustrating season - one that STILL ended in the playoffs despite it all.  The guy has been through the ringer for this team and franchise, he deserves more respect than what many posters on here want to provide.  Its just gross and lazy.

I want Hyde fired because I am tired of looking at his face.  He comes up with lame nicknames for the guys and it sounds like the English and their silly baby words for stuff.  Yeah Hyde is as bad as a effeminate English dude.  Get rid of him.  

He is just the mouth piece for the stats guys.  He does not even write the lineups.  A computer does.  A computer named Sig.  So dump him and fast.

Not like we couldn't "cast" another fake manager for the role.

1 hour ago, LGOrioles said:

I don’t have a problem with this. If they don’t make the playoffs next season or win a series, then that’s probably all she wrote. With a good offseason and better injury fortune, there won’t be any excuses next year. 

Were there any excuses this year?

11 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

This is such BS.  Guys got hurt yes, but it wasn't the fill-ins that killed us in September, it was the regulars who we all expected to be better.  What's the excuse for those guys?  We expected the fill-ins' to create a drag on us, but certainly not the regulars who weren't hurt.

Lets please stop with the injury excuse.  Even if Westburg, Mountcastle and Urias were not in top form, the rest of the guys have to come up with a couple of runs in the playoffs, and they didn't.  

Next Man Up.....Did Not Happen.

I'm not disagreeing. 

4 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Were there any excuses this year?

I don’t blame him for the clutch hitting. Losing Grayson and Coulombe hurt big time. And his supposed best player was replacement level the 2nd half of the season at the same time they were without their actual 2nd best player (Westburg). 

18 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I don’t blame him for the clutch hitting. Losing Grayson and Coulombe hurt big time. And his supposed best player was replacement level the 2nd half of the season at the same time they were without their actual 2nd best player (Westburg). 

Fair enough… but who IS to blame? Was it just a team-wide malaise that led to so many valuable regulars drastically underperforming?

If it happens to one guy, fine, we’re human. “ Sometimes you suck.” But when it happens to everyone, that’s a problem.

Maybe “responsibility” for doing a thing is better than blame for not doing it. But it happened to drastically to too many people to be an individual problem.

When the league adjusts to you, having found your weakness, you have to readjust. That didn’t happen.

The pitching problem, except for in-game choices, is in a different category, and is Elias’ responsibility. Hyde can only use the guys he has, but Elias has to get good guys.

So the clutch hitting is a problem. ALL hitting was a problem, and the blame is not only on the bad hitters.

Of course

Elias is a kick the can down the road kind of guy

His goal is to maintain a fringe playoff team and never add the talent to be a serious WS contender

It wiil back fire, they will miss the playoffs and the new GM can pick the new manager for 2026