Who Stays and Who Goes Early Guess

Carllamy

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If they are young, with upside and years of team control - sure.

We are going to lose Mullins for nothing after next season.

We'd get a draft pick for Mullins, which may be better than whoever we could trade him for.  Mullins' trade value probably isn't very high anymore.  It seems like he has more value to the O's playing for them than he would have in a trade.  But the bigger issue is who would replace him right now, unless it's Cowser.  And if it's Cowser then we'd have to go find a left fielder.

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

We'd get a draft pick for Mullins, which may be better than whoever we could trade him for.  Mullins' trade value probably isn't very high anymore.  It seems like he has more value to the O's playing for them than he would have in a trade.  But the bigger issue is who would replace him right now, unless it's Cowser.  And if it's Cowser then we'd have to go find a left fielder.

We would have to make a qualifying offer to get a draft pick - and he would probably accept the offer

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

You don’t need to directly replace Santander’s production to improve the offense.

But it would be silly not to try.  RF is a power bat position.  Why wouldn't they try to get a big bat there?  This season has showed you can't assume all the young players will progress evenly and become big hitters quickly.

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If they are young, with upside and years of team control - sure.

We are going to lose Mullins for nothing after next season.

We can debate what to trade him for but I agree Mullins should be shopped.

But you also need to add a good defensive LFer or CFer.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

We would have to make a qualifying offer to get a draft pick - and he would probably accept the offer

Not concerned about that.  Good chance wouldn't accept it because I doubt it would be for big money.  And if he's good next season then he could stick around at least as a 4th outfielder for 2026 too.  Trying to get rid of Mullins is fine as long as you know you have someone to replace him -- but unless the O's are eyeing some specific FA or trade target they don't have that guy yet.  But even if you have that guy Mullins can still be good to have off the bench.  He's not that expensive, he can still hit some and he's got a good glove.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We can debate what to trade him for but I agree Mullins should be shopped.

But you also need to add a good defensive LFer or CFer.

I guess that depends on how they evaluate Bradfield. He seemed to make significant strides with the bat over the course of the season. With Cowser in CF and Heston in RF, you’d only really need a #9 hitter in LF.

3 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Not concerned about that.  Good chance wouldn't accept it because I doubt it would be for big money.  And if he's good next season then he could stick around at least as a 4th outfielder for 2026 too.  Trying to get rid of Mullins is fine as long as you know you have someone to replace him -- but unless the O's are eyeing some specific FA or trade target they don't have that guy yet.  But even if you have that guy Mullins can still be good to have off the bench.  He's not that expensive, he can still hit some and he's got a good glove.  

You think Mullins would turn down 1 yr/ $22 million?

13 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I guess that depends on how they evaluate Bradfield. He seemed to make significant strides with the bat over the course of the season. With Cowser in CF and Heston in RF, you’d only really need a #9 hitter in LF.

To be clear, I’m not saying you need a long term solution for the very reason you stated… but you need someone.

I still want to add Robert. I think getting him away from the WS will do wonders for him. 

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

You think Mullins would turn down 1 yr/ $22 million?

Actually, if qualifying offers are all the same number for all players, then I agree with you.  I was thinking they were based on the player's final season salary but now think I'm wrong on that.  

If that is about the number Mullins would get in a QO then, yeah, I don't think the O's should offer him that.

That said, I'm curious if the final season lights a flame under his butt to outperform his past few seasons.  Mullins could still have it in him to have a great year next season.  

But no way I think he should be traded solely on the assumption Bradfield is ready to replace him.  I don't think Bradfield has even reached AAA yet.  If they trade Mullins it would be because they traded for or signed a new FA replacement for him or because they want Cowser in CF and they get a new LF instead. 

It just doesn't look like anyone in the minors is really ready for the OF yet other than Kjerstad.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

To be clear, I’m not saying you need a long term solution for the very reason you stated… but you need someone.

I still want to add Robert. I think getting him away from the WS will do wonders for him. 

Robert would be great but he gets hurt a fair amount.  You'd need a very good backup for him or for Cowser.  Maybe Bradfield would be ready faster than we hope but I wouldn't count on him for 2025.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We saw what it did for Eloy!

1 hour ago, EddeeEddee said:

Robert would be great but he gets hurt a fair amount.  You'd need a very good backup for him or for Cowser.  Maybe Bradfield would be ready faster than we hope but I wouldn't count on him for 2025.

Injuries worry me too…right player right price type thing.