What's Your Top Priority

mcneck

I'm sick of this doing nothing but swinging for the fences and coming up short or when they finally do connect there is no one on base. Analytics would not like these guys in today's game but I would love to have a Willie Wilson, Omar Moreno kind of player getting on base or bunting for hits and then stealing a base and having a clutch guy to drive them home with just a simple hit. How nice would that be. 

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mountcastle's OPS+

2021-114

2022- 108

2023- 117

2024- 113

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

Crazy how folks just say things without actually checking.

Please re-read my post.  I'm advocating for a "proven power hitting" first-basemen.

Mountcastle home run total:

2021 - 33

2022 - 22

2023 - 18

2024 - 13

Mountcastle RBI totals:

2021 - 89

2022 - 85

2023 - 68

2024 - 63

Perhaps you should take a closer look at B-Ref before you take me to the river and dunk me in the water.  🤔

4 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Please re-read my post.  I'm advocating for a "proven power hitting" first-basemen.

Mountcastle home run total:

2021 - 33

2022 - 22

2023 - 18

2024 - 13

Mountcastle RBI totals:

2021 - 89

2022 - 85

2023 - 68

2024 - 63

Perhaps you should take a closer look at B-Ref before you take me to the river and dunk me in the water.  🤔

RBI are team and opportunity dependent.  Power is better actualized by slugging, which follows the same trend I showed.

He's essentially the same hitter.

He was better in 2023 than he was in 2022 and somewhere in between in 2024.

Obviously weed starting pitching. Need BP help too. I don’t think anyone in the organization is untouchable at this point.

If Tony goes, we have to go out and get a real right handed bat. Not a platoon bat.  we have too many left handed hitters. We don’t have anyone who can step in and be a solid Bat and play solid D. We have bad bats who can’t play D.  Which is why I think they try to keep Tony. 

1 hour ago, Baseball fandom said:

I'm sick of this doing nothing but swinging for the fences and coming up short or when they finally do connect there is no one on base. Analytics would not like these guys in today's game but I would love to have a Willie Wilson, Omar Moreno kind of player getting on base or bunting for hits and then stealing a base and having a clutch guy to drive them home with just a simple hit. How nice would that be. 

Everyone in every era would like Willie Wilson. Analytics folks don’t dislike batting average and steals — they just don’t value them in the same way that the game used to. I guess maybe that comes off as “dislike,” but it’s not really that. Willie could hit and he could field and he added lots of value on the bases. He was a great player.

The good news is that Willie is a great comp for the sort of player they’re hoping Enrique Bradfield will become, so it’s not like they’re just totally opposed to that profile.

Omar Moreno is a little bit of a different story, in that he couldn’t hit. We kind of already have Omar Moreno, we just call him Jorge Mateo. Nobody has seemed to want to keep him around, for years now.

I’d love a true clutch hitter. But I think it’s pretty hard to identify them. How many guys out there (excluding, let’s say, the top 20 or so hitters who are great in any all situations) do you think are really reliably clutch hitters?

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Everyone in every era would like Willie Wilson. Analytics folks don’t dislike batting average and steals — they just don’t value them in the same way that the game used to. I guess maybe that comes off as “dislike,” but it’s not really that. Willie could hit and he could field and he added lots of value on the bases. He was a great player.

The good news is that Willie is a great comp for the sort of player they’re hoping Enrique Bradfield will become, so it’s not like they’re just totally opposed to that profile.

Omar Moreno is a little bit of a different story, in that he couldn’t hit. We kind of already have Omar Moreno, we just call him Jorge Mateo. Nobody has seemed to want to keep him around, for years now.

I’d love a true clutch hitter. But I think it’s pretty hard to identify them. How many guys out there (excluding, let’s say, the top 20 or so hitters who are great in any all situations) do you think are really reliably clutch hitters?

Maybe as a 11 year old in the 79 series it just felt like Omar was getting on base like every time. You are right I can't think of too many that may be available but goodness I'm convinced this team the way they are constructed will not get it done without some different type of hitters to offset this just relying on power 

Jordan Montgomery or Paul Goldschmidt.    I think they are possible at Elias' favorite 1-year term and cost the Orioles about the same money they paid Burnes and Santander this season.    ARZ might have use for a Ryan with Christian Walker gaining free agency.

Whatever deal in the Jackson Chourio ballpark is financially tolerable to all for Samuel Basallo.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs/the-2025-free-agent-tracker-is-here/

Skimming the options decisions coming up 5 days after the World Series, I think Michael Wacha and Sean Manaea did well enough to not exercise their player options, and go back out there.    The Cardinals may troll the board by not picking up Kyle Gibson's mid-tier option.

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Jordan Montgomery or Paul Goldschmidt.    I think they are possible at Elias' favorite 1-year term and cost the Orioles about the same money they paid Burnes and Santander this season.    ARZ might have use for a Ryan with Christian Walker gaining free agency.

Whatever deal in the Jackson Chourio ballpark is financially tolerable to all for Samuel Basallo.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs/the-2025-free-agent-tracker-is-here/

Skimming the options decisions coming up 5 days after the World Series, I think Michael Wacha and Sean Manaea did well enough to not exercise their player options, and go back out there.    The Cardinals may troll the board by not picking up Kyle Gibson's mid-tier option.

PG would be an interesting hedge with Mayo. Hit better the second half and hit lefties well. 

I can’t see Montgomery signing a one year deal in FA since he has a player option for one year with ARZ. He would just stay there. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I can’t see Montgomery signing a one year deal in FA since he has a player option for one year with ARZ. He would just stay there. 

I am speculating, but Ken Kendrick had one of those radical candor moments with media the other day doing the same press conference Elias just did.

Montgomery maybe can't do better than take his 1 / 22.5M option, and then he's just James McCann leaving the Mets he disappointed.

The 2024 Diamondbacks are better than the 2023 Diamondbacks, right?    5 more regular season Wins, 60 more points of Pythagorean Win-Loss%, 113 better in run differential.

Edited by Just Regular

5 hours ago, mcneck said:

What is your top priority this offseaason?

Let's assume Burnes and Santander are gone

Pick one position or player

I’m sticking with Burnes….there is zero reason to assume he’s gone. We have owners with money, the payroll is modest, and anyone watching knows he was our best pitcher. I think we need to stop acting like we’re the Toledo Mud Hens.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

I am speculating, but Ken Kendrick had one of those radical candor moments with media the other day doing the same press conference Elias just did.

Montgomery would be crazy not to take his 1 / 22.5M option, and then he's just James McCann.

The 2024 Diamondbacks are better than the 2023 Diamondbacks, right?    5 more regular season Wins, 60 more points of Pythagorean Win-Loss%, 113 better in run differential.

Yes. They are better. 

The Orioles are better than the Royals. Unfortunately it doesn’t matter. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m sticking with Burnes….there is zero reason to assume he’s gone. We have owners with money, the payroll is modest, and anyone watching knows he was our best pitcher. I think we need to stop acting like we’re the Toledo Mud Hens.

We’re the Mud Hens til proven otherwise by the new owners.