Rubenstein Article

SouthRider

14 minutes ago, CTBear said:

The GM hires the manager and after just one year, it’d be unfair for Rubenstein to step in and make that call. He’s already said he’s going to give Elias and Sig room to operate on the baseball side. 

That said, if Rubenstein becomes unhappy with Elias’ direction and/or lack of success, then Elias is the one getting canned…I don’t think we’re anywhere near that though. 

Yea I don't want Hyde back but we don't need Rubes pulling a Billy Martin

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

Yea I don't want Hyde back but we don't need Rubes pulling a Billy Martin

Yeah I’m with you on that. I’d be very concerned if he started calling shots so early in his ownership tenure. He’s admitted he doesn’t know much about baseball though and has made it clear he won’t be doing things like that. 

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I think too many are linking $ to optimism and it is a bad move and what you say above would be terrible. At least in terms of attracting fans. 

If going from the worst team in sports to one of the best doesn't bring fans, then you don't have enough fans.  Everyone has a right to be upset about everything from last October to this October because expectations have not been met.  But they haven't been met by the the O's players themselves.  However, you are talking about attracting fans... the best thing to attract fans would be winning a god darn playoff game.  

My point is that juicing things up by spending an extra $50 million is not what this team needs.  It needs to find pieces to add to this roster that can help push the envelope from successful Divison winning team to World Series Winner.  That might cost more than $50M, it might cost less.  But if the owner juices things and we are not marginally better, then next year folks say Owner doesn't know how to spend....GM foolishly spends...etc. But extra bodies are not going to just show up.

What might that look like?  Well letting Burnes go for the pick.  Signing or trading for no other TOR pitcher to replace Burnes, extending Santander after signing a RH DH of some sort and extending Adley in a 7 yr deal.  That's juicy, and it could even work.  But I doubt it is going to bring any additional fans.

How have we become one of the best teams in sports? We have not won a single playoff game. To think that fans in this community will be satisfied with a bunch of regular season wins is a serious mistake. Can you find any Ravens' fans who were satisfied with the team reaching the AFC Championship game last season? Fans in this town (like most American cities) are hungry for trophies.

You seem to pose things as though it is an either/or proposition. We don't need to spend and add FAs, all we need to do is win. But the reality is when you examining the history of the sport (in the last 20 years) there is a causation effect between payroll and playoff results in the form of championships. "Budget ball" has not won in October.

In my opinion after failing spectacularly in October over the last two seasons, the org us going to have to add meaningful talent to get this team over the hump because as things stand now, it most likely can be projected as more of the same (good regular season poor post season).

Letting go of Burnes for a pitcher who is not as good, resigning Santander, and resigning Adley would be more of the same i.e. running it back with a relatively equivalent to worse group. How would that be a message that entices more fans to get engaged? If you want more fans, you are going to have to make moves that draw attention/get people talking/are relevant. Those moves don't have to be poor/foolish/unwise moves. We can spend in a way that is smart and makes us better.