RHH Outfield Targets

sportsfan8703

It’s a tricky player type to search for, since (if you’re trying to keep the price reasonable) you’re really looking for a RHH who crushes LHPs — but who doesn’t need to hit pull-side HRs to be effective against them. 

If we’re looking for what amounts to a platoon partner for O’Hearn, there are some pretty reasonable options out there. Familiar names like Rob Refsnyder and Randal Grichuk and JD Martinez. I think a guy like this is a pretty important add. If the goal is to stop teams from using LH openers and spamming lefty relievers at our top LHHs, it won’t do to just have guy with a mild platoon split to use as a PH. It would have to be someone who can do enough damage to punish/deter using LHPs. 

It becomes a lot harder when you’re looking for a guy who can hit like that and play a passable LF/CF in OPACY. I’m not sure that guy exists on the current FA market. I’ve seen Harrison Bader mentioned a few times — great fielder, but he can’t really hit. The platoon split is largely a thing of the past for him at this point. A guy like Ramon Laureano can hit LHPs and probably wouldn’t kill you out in LF, but his approach truly is what half this board seems to think the Orioles’ approach is. 

One guy who feels like an Elias pickup is Chas McCormick. Absolutely horrible 2024 season, but prior to this year, he was a genuinely good starting OF (5.5 WAR in less than 240 games in 2022-23). He’s a solid fielder and he has enough speed that you could reasonably plug him in as the LF in any park, even ours. And he absolutely smashes LHPs, to the tune of a career .866 OPS (which was almost .950 in 2021-23, prior to the comprehensive disaster of this year). He’s a non-tender candidate for HOU, but perhaps Elias could swing a low-cost deal for him early. 

Worth noting that Elias drafted both Laureano and McCormick, which probably bumps their likelihood up a notch.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s a tricky player type to search for, since (if you’re trying to keep the price reasonable) you’re really looking for a RHH who crushes LHPs — but who doesn’t need to hit pull-side HRs to be effective against them. 

If we’re looking for what amounts to a platoon partner for O’Hearn, there are some pretty reasonable options out there. Familiar names like Rob Refsnyder and Randal Grichuk and JD Martinez. I think a guy like this is a pretty important add. If the goal is to stop teams from using LH openers and spamming lefty relievers at our top LHHs, it won’t do to just have guy with a mild platoon split to use as a PH. It would have to be someone who can do enough damage to punish/deter using LHPs. 

It becomes a lot harder when you’re looking for a guy who can hit like that and play a passable LF/CF in OPACY. I’m not sure that guy exists on the current FA market. I’ve seen Harrison Bader mentioned a few times — great fielder, but he can’t really hit. The platoon split is largely a thing of the past for him at this point. A guy like Ramon Laureano can hit LHPs and probably wouldn’t kill you out in LF, but his approach truly is what half this board seems to think the Orioles’ approach is. 

One guy who feels like an Elias pickup is Chas McCormick. Absolutely horrible 2024 season, but prior to this year, he was a genuinely good starting OF (5.5 WAR in less than 240 games in 2022-23). He’s a solid fielder and he has enough speed that you could reasonably plug him in as the LF in any park, even ours. And he absolutely smashes LHPs, to the tune of a career .866 OPS (which was almost .950 in 2021-23, prior to the comprehensive disaster of this year). He’s a non-tender candidate for HOU, but perhaps Elias could swing a low-cost deal for him early. 

Worth noting that Elias drafted both Laureano and McCormick, which probably bumps their likelihood up a notch.

Do you want O'Hearn playing 100 or so games in the field?

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you want O'Hearn playing 100 or so games in the field?

I’m working off the notion that 1B will primarily be Mountcastle or Mayo and RF will primarily be Kjerstad.

So ideally, I’d want O’Hearn starting something like 30-40 games at 1B — though he’d also likely finish a number of games there based on PH opportunities in games started by a LHP. I’d be looking for a RH guy to pair with him that can play a passable RF in OPACY, and would otherwise mostly DH/PH in the way that O’Hearn has for the last two years. 

What I have in mind is having 4 guys to cover DH/1B/RF, with it roughly breaking down as one LH/RH pair at 1B and another in RF. That would entail adding someone in that Grichuk/Refsnyder category to be the righty RF-capable guy.  

To jump ahead of what I imagine might be the next question, I’d also be trying to bring in someone like McCormick that can play LF/RF and hit lefties. That probably requires letting Mateo (or Urias) go, which is a shame, but it can’t really be helped. I would envision my primary bench being Urias, McCormick, Refsnyder, McCann.

Edited by e16bball
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I’m working off the notion that 1B will primarily be Mountcastle or Mayo and RF will primarily be Kjerstad.

So ideally, I’d want O’Hearn starting something like 30-40 games at 1B — though he’d also likely finish a number of games there based on PH opportunities in games started by a LHP. I’d be looking for a RH guy to pair with him that can play a passable RF in OPACY, and would otherwise mostly DH/PH in the way that O’Hearn has for the last two years. 

What I have in mind is having 4 guys to cover DH/1B/RF, with it roughly breaking down as one LH/RH pair at 1B and another in RF. That would entail adding someone in that Grichuk/Refsnyder category to be the righty RF-capable guy.  

To jump ahead of what I imagine might be the next question, I’d also be trying to bring in someone like McCormick that can play LF/RF and hit lefties. That probably requires letting Mateo (or Urias) go, which is a shame, but it can’t really be helped. I would envision my primary bench being Urias, McCormick, Refsnyder, McCann.

Mountcastle and Perez for McCormick and Pressly?  I think Houston would do that, though Pressly might be able to reject a trade with 10 and 5 rights.

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

Mountcastle and Perez for McCormick and Pressly?  I think Houston would do that, though Pressly might be able to reject a trade with 10 and 5 rights.

Jake Myers would scratch strong CF with good splits vs. LHP.  

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I suspect O’Hearn is a better OF than Kjerstad

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Jake Myers would scratch strong CF with good splits vs. LHP.  

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

No, a trade would be you would have to go Arb with him. Probally would cost 4 to 5 million. He would be nothing but a weak side platoon/ 4th outfielder,Def sub. if they can get him for less, maybe.

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

Maybe about even but O'Hearn probably does not get better and Kjerstad probably will get better with experience.

🤣 Ok …Kjerstad looks shaky on most every play. He’s been an OF for what  15 years. I just think he’s one of those guys that is who he is defensively. 

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

🤣 Ok …Kjerstad looks shaky on most every play. He’s been an OF for what  15 years. I just think he’s one of those guys that is who he is defensively. 

Yeah but this goes for all the young guys, you only will get better with playing time and experience. He was the #2 pick in the draft and 1B/DH is currently occupied by Mounty and O’Hearn. We need Heston to hold down RF for at least one season. 

As for the RHH, I think Slater is our guy. I saw something that he’s had the most pinch hits in mlb over the last 3-4 seasons.  That’s valuable in his role with all of the LHH we have. Even with his career worst 1st half, he still put up a .700+ OPS with us vs LHP. 

With the new WC rules, and all these teams competing, I just expect everyone to be looking to buy, or at least “not sell”. I expect a thin market for buying.