Cowser and Mounty GG finalists

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

lol. No but Soto is ridiculous and I thought they were supposed to have fixed this a few years ago when they started to take analytics into account. I know there have been some crazy nominations but I can't think of a worse one off the top of my head. 

The one folks go to is Raffy winning won for First when he was a DH.

Jeter won five.

If Soto win it will be that level bad but as of right now he's only finished in the top three.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The one folks go to is Raffy winning won for First when he was a DH.

Jeter won five.

If Soto win it will be that level bad but as of right now he's only finished in the top three.

I do remember those and they were horrible. But I had hoped they fixed that kind of stuff. It's not just at the pro level. When I coached JuCo ball, we had a kid win the Rawlings GG at 3rd base and he had exactly 0 innings there. He had 12 innings at 1B and the rest DH. As an aside, our 1B won the GG too. 

Just now, MCO'sFan said:

I do remember those and they were horrible. But I had hoped they fixed that kind of stuff. It's not just at the pro level. When I coached JuCo ball, we had a kid win the Rawlings GG at 3rd base and he had exactly 0 innings there. He had 12 innings at 1B and the rest DH. As an aside, our 1B won the GG too. 

If he wins I'll mock them for it.

Top 3?  Whatever.  No one remembers who the nominees are five minutes after the award goes out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

Juan Soto is RF???? You've got to be kidding me. The GG just lost all legitimacy for me. He is absolutely atrocious! He is one of the worst fielders in the MLB. 

Gold glove awards have been a farce for years. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

He wasn't eligible. 

Only pitchers with 138 innings pitched in their team's first 138 games are eligible, so obviously no relievers, and only about 30 starters per league are eligible.

Thanks for this detail.  That's kind of a lame rule.

That's Soto's first nomination ever.  Tell me again how there's no Yankee bias in crap like this.  He goes to the Yanks, plays ever-worsening defense, and gets a GG nomination.  Laughable.

This is irritating me way more than it should, LOL.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Right..things need to be tweaked and some personnel has to change. There isn’t going to be an overhaul of philosophy.   Thanks for proving that point.
    • With no FA signed, we’re about an 85 win team. This presumes the old Adley returns. And Felix returns to at least 90% of his 2023 version. Very thin on SP and a LH dominant lineup.  Bullpen needs at least one back end addition
    • But Slater was awful against LH last year. He had a .541 OPS against LH, and in 142 PA against LH had only 3 XBH. There are plenty of guys who are better fits for the RH OF role. Grichuk and Refsnyder to name a couple. Elias needs to start doing better than bare minimum. 
    • I'll take one from Jim Palmer, who in the Spring og 1979 said, this team will be lucky to finish 4th
    • I’m ok with Slater but I think they need to get a RHH or two that are better than Mountcastle.
    • Actually what Elias said supports my comment very well. Melewski:  One potential critique for the offense is the Orioles are too reliant on the home runs and slugging.  Moving forward do you think that Is a valid critique?  Does there need to be more variety? Whether its on base or other ways to score? Elias: I definite experienced the frustration of that.  Who didn't.  I've been around baseball and a lot of the very best information out there in baseball my entire life and career. And getting hits, getting RBI with runners in scoring position.  There is a lot of evidence that can be hard to control on a year over year month to month basis. Its a tricky thing,  Hitting. That said I am going to behave like it is under our control and we are going to examine everything about our offensive approach, teachings, the mix of personnel, the kind of things that you mentioned.  And put ourselves in position to where we feel like we have addressed any shortcoming there. I don't necessarily believe its all chance.  I do think there are things our organization, and ultimately our players will be able to do to improve our odds on that front.   It's not a good experience going through that for months.  Where we are struggling to get runs in from second base.  That was not the case last year.  We were great at it.  With a lot of the same guys.  I have a lot of confidence that can correct next year.   Its going to involve some work by us. --------- Then his actions were to let the hitting coaches go. You can listen his answer here:  Scroll to 27.24    
  • Popular Contributors