Meoli on the 1st base situation

Sports Guy

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not only that but continuously playing him at third, in the minors, when he doesn’t have a future at that position in the majors (in Baltimore) made zero sense. 

You can’t logically look at how they handled Mayo and come away thinking they did right by him. That’s just insane.

It was August. He got his cup of coffee, looked overmatched. Yeah, they should have sent him down instead of relegating him to sporadic ABs after the first handful of games that he started, but they clearly were tinkering on things with him at that time. It didn't work out. But it's not like there was some sort of massive wrong done to him. He just looked bad on a competitive team. You can't let him work through things especially if other guys are hitting (Ramon, Eloy) and you're positionless. 

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not only that but continuously playing him at third, in the minors, when he doesn’t have a future at that position in the majors (in Baltimore) made zero sense. 

You can’t logically look at how they handled Mayo and come away thinking they did right by him. That’s just insane.

Well that’s it he should have been off 3b long time before now. 

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Especially since he clearly has things to work on offensively.

What can he do in AAA to improve his offense? NOTHING is the answer. If you want to argue we should keep our top prospect in the minors to learn how to field then fine. That is a reason. It is not a good reason IMO, but at least it is a reason.

11 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

What can he do in AAA to improve his offense? NOTHING is the answer. If you want to argue we should keep our top prospect in the minors to learn how to field then fine. That is a reason. It is not a good reason IMO, but at least it is a reason.

It certainly is a good reason. He's a liability at 3B. He's greenfield at 1B. He needs to learn a new position or he's a DH. But currently he's a DH that can't hit.

Offensively, he's exposed to breaking pitches and outside pitches. Look at his zone charts, most pitches are thrown low and away from him by far. There's a lot not to like on Statcast. And, yes, it's a very limited sample size. But, it's definitely something he needs to work on. Do you want him in the majors working on it? No. But once he gets to a better spot, call him up and let him take some lumps. Cowser made some adjustments, but he also plays a premium position and well.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

O’Hearn is a lefty though. I think Mayo is tied directly to Mountcastle. 

Have to see. 

Elias would have to find an O'Hearn trade, but righty balance would be served by 1B Mountcastle, DH Mayo many days.

I think the need for Mayo's offensive development vs. MLB pitching outweighs the need for defensive development in Norfolk, even before Mayo being the best Rookie of the Year candidate factors in.

This CBA the Prospect Promotion Incentive is meant to help a player like 2025 Coby Mayo to an Opening Day roster.    

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

Well that’s it he should have been off 3b long time before now. 

Yes but not because he can’t be a third baseman in the majors…because he can.  But he’s not going to be one here because he’s no better than the third best third baseman on our roster and maybe fourth behind Urias.

He’s just not going to play there. 

49 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Elias would have to find an O'Hearn trade, but righty balance would be served by 1B Mountcastle, DH Mayo many days.

I think the need for Mayo's offensive development vs. MLB pitching outweighs the need for defensive development in Norfolk, even before Mayo being the best Rookie of the Year candidate factors in.

This CBA the Prospect Promotion Incentive is meant to help a player like 2025 Coby Mayo to an Opening Day roster.    

For me it’s not so much of more development for Mayo it’s more about his current fit. 

Said this before.
4 man bench 

-backup C

-RH OF

-Mateo 

-Urias 

I can’t see the Orioles letting go of O’Hearn unless Santander stays. They could create a spot for Coby if they don’t keep both Mateo and Urias. 

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

It certainly is a good reason. He's a liability at 3B. He's greenfield at 1B. He needs to learn a new position or he's a DH. But currently he's a DH that can't hit.

Offensively, he's exposed to breaking pitches and outside pitches. Look at his zone charts, most pitches are thrown low and away from him by far. There's a lot not to like on Statcast. And, yes, it's a very limited sample size. But, it's definitely something he needs to work on. Do you want him in the majors working on it? No. But once he gets to a better spot, call him up and let him take some lumps. Cowser made some adjustments, but he also plays a premium position and well.

So how will he learn how to hit major league breaking pitches in AAA??  He has absolutely dominated AAA at a young age; there is nothing offensively he can work on at AAA.  He needs to learn how to hit major league pitchers, and the only way he'll do that is get consistent at-bats at the ML level.

22 minutes ago, Otter said:

So how will he learn how to hit major league breaking pitches in AAA??  He has absolutely dominated AAA at a young age; there is nothing offensively he can work on at AAA.  He needs to learn how to hit major league pitchers, and the only way he'll do that is get consistent at-bats at the ML level.

I'm worried the defense at first isn't going to be playable.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm worried the defense at first isn't going to be playable.

Why do you think that?  I don't think we've seen enough of him at 1B to say either way, but my guess is if he can play a mediocre 3B he should be able to play a passable 1B with some work in the offseason and ST.  It sounds like Elias is thinking of him as a 1B now, so I guess we'll find out in ST...

3 minutes ago, Otter said:

Why do you think that?  I don't think we've seen enough of him at 1B to say either way, but my guess is if he can play a mediocre 3B he should be able to play a passable 1B with some work in the offseason and ST.  It sounds like Elias is thinking of him as a 1B now, so I guess we'll find out in ST...

Twenty-one starts at first in Norfolk.

Seven assists.

Six errors.

I'm just going by those raw numbers but they worry me.

Can he corral the wild Gunnar throws or is Gunnar going to have a half dozen more throwing errors?

Folks act like anyone can play "good enough" defense at first in the majors.  They can't.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's not an elite defender.  I haven't checked the stats but I know some posters here really take issue with his pitch framing skills.

I'm way late to this party, but thought you'd be curious.  I caught a YT video about two weeks or so before the end of this season that had the topic of pitch framing.  During it, the presenter laid out a graph with a wide range of catchers, from the absolute worst framers in the league to the absolute best.  And Adley?

Adley was a zero, on that stat scale, which was based on how many runs that each catcher had gained or lost his team via stealing or costing strikes through framing (because not only is there a neutral result where the ump didn't buy your ball to strike frame job, there's actually a negative result where the pitcher threw an actual strike and because of the way you received it, it got called a ball).

So no, he's definitely not helping us through pitch framing.   

• Upvote 1