After Two Weeks of Pie...

Frobby

I think Pie is going to be very good when he gets the opportunity. 10 games is not an opportunity, so people just need to chill out a little. I am also the original Reimold supporter, so I do think some things need to be done. Freel is a waste, although I understand that one too. In order to rid oneself of Ramon, we had to take back another bad contract. Clearly, we did that. But we don't have to watch him play, do we?

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna say something that would have got me so much ridicule 2-3 years ago, In Crowley I trust. When it comes to hitting mechanics and being able to make subtle changes Crowely is one of the best. If Pie is willing to listen and has a good work ethic like Adam and Nick did I believe Crowley can make him a solid big league hitter. It will be interesting to watch and note any changes we see mechanically or in his approach in the month. His defense and baserunning I'll be much more inclined to criticize earlier. I know he is making an adjustment to LF too but if he was as good a centerfielder as everyone says he is the instincts should allow him to become good in left too.

Montanez, 26, is much worse defensively than Pie, and 2 years older -- and Reimold isn't as good defensively either. Both may be better hitters now... but AM wants all-around players and Pie's MiL numbers are as good as Reimold or Montanez's.

I think you are overrating Pie's defense. He still looks to me like a liability out there. I am a bit impressed though at his hitting. He is starting to show signs that he may eventually "get" it at the big league level. However, his defense really worries me. It is bad, I don't want to hear excuses or pointing out one solid play or so he has made either. He is lost out there from what I have seen so far. If he was such a hot CFer as proclaimed, adjusting to LF should be a piece of cake instead of a horror show.

I think you are overrating Pie's defense. He still looks to me like a liability out there. I am a bit impressed though at his hitting. He is starting to show signs that he may eventually "get" it at the big league level. However, his defense really worries me. It is bad, I don't want to hear excuses or pointing out one solid play or so he has made either. He is lost out there from what I have seen so far.

He has looked lost- no doubt. But Pie is a VERY GOOD defensive CFer. The idea that he won't be able to adapt to LF very shortly is almost inconceivable.

Beltran is #3 on Pie's PECOTA comparables list with a score of 49, which means "pretty similar"

Thanks. I didn't know that. I was just going from memory. I believe Beltran had fewer MiLB ABs (and his line was not as good), but KC just kind of handed him the job and he took off. I think Pie could do the same.

I think you are overrating Pie's defense. He still looks to me like a liability out there. I am a bit impressed though at his hitting. He is starting to show signs that he may eventually "get" it at the big league level. However, his defense really worries me. It is bad, I don't want to hear excuses or pointing out one solid play or so he has made either. He is lost out there from what I have seen so far. If he was such a hot CFer as proclaimed, adjusting to LF should be a piece of cake instead of a horror show.

He has looked shaky in LF, I don't really think anyone would dispute that right now.

However, I think it is pretty much a certainty that he will be a very, very good defensive LF. Once he gets used to playing out there every day at the ML, he should be very good.

Thanks. I didn't know that. I was just going from memory. I believe Beltran had fewer MiLB ABs (and his line was not as good), but KC just kind of handed him the job and he took off. I think Pie could do the same.

Yeah, Beltran is a guy who comes to mind a lot with Pie.

Soriano and Crawford are other guys who come to mind, Soriano in particular. I don't think Pie will ever hit as many HR as Soriano, but I feel that he could develop into a player very much like Soriano.

If you don't like Pie's defense... Montanez and Reimold is no better, and in some cases worse. Montanez looked absolutely lost in LF last year.

I've been impressed with his plate discipline so far. He's not Markakis out there, but so far he's been nowhere near as free-swinging as Jones was during the early part of last year. Seems like everytime he's gotten up to the plate, including last night, the count has gone 3-2. That's a strong positive to take from his performance so far, but I've still not seen nearly enough of him to make a verdict one way or another.

I will reserve judgement on Pie in center until I see more of him there. I know he did not get charged with errors there but has far a jumps of balls and the path he takes to balls and the ability to catch ball over his head, I'd like to see more before saying he is a great CF.

After a rocky start in LF, he's looking better out there. Not saying he's adapted yet, but he's adapted some.

At the plate, he's shown a better eye and more discipline than I expected him to.

I think it's all gonna come down to how good of a Crow-student he proves to be.

Even though he struck out last night (which I absolutely knew was coming, so I wasn't worried about the outcome that much :D) I thought he looked pretty good with his discipline, especially his willingness to lay off bad-but-close pitches with a terrible umpire calling the game.

He deserves until early June at the earliest, and there has been nothing so far to change that.

Archived