After Two Weeks of Pie...

Frobby

My only problem with Pie has ever been that I think his upside, defense and offense and speed combined, is a league average left fielder. That's not very exciting to me. And that's the upside, with the obvious downside of him being a Corey Patterson clone or worse. I think we've forgotten and are about to learn the hard way that cheap, cost-controlled league average starters have very tangible value, which I think is as reasonable an outcome for Olson as being a league average LF is for Pie. And I think we need the starter much more than the LF right now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think?

I have been surprised at his lostness in left- I know it's an adjustment but I was shocked at how clueless he can look on the routine play. I'm not worried, just rather startled. Defense is not at all where I thought he would struggle.

At the plate I have been equally surprised- in a pleasant way- at his occasionally good pitch recognition. He has a clue up there. The results have not been there perhaps, but I can see how he can pull this out.

In the end, I'm still not sure what we have, but the upside is tantalizing enough to leave him there for many more weeks.

What say you?

He has done just enough, the catch and home run in Texas, to make me want to see more of him. However, I think we may have two better players in AAA.

Montanez, 26, is much worse defensively than Pie, and 2 years older -- and Reimold isn't as good defensively either. Both may be better hitters now... but AM wants all-around players and Pie's MiL numbers are as good as Reimold or Montanez's.

Getting better in LF.

Very good pitch recognition and patience. I think he was way ahead of Jones at this point and time last year (for Jones 2008 compared to Pie in 2009). I think he has shown a lot of pop as well. In Texas he hit 2 extremely hard balls to dead center and came within 10-15 of dead center home runs. Good on him!

I'm disappointed that he hasn't been playing every day. I am not sold on him and think he was an unnecessary acquisition given Montanez and Reimold (and Scott). But I want to play him regularly until he proves clearly one way or another if he belongs. What I don't want is a long drawn out audition. There is a sentiment that he has elevated status because of his options and that we traded for him. But the guy we traded for him isn't exactly going to set the world on fire either. I want him playing 5-6 days a week for another month. Even when Jones and Markakis struggled early on when given starter jobs, it was clear that there was something there. I don't have that sense yet for Pie. He seems talented, but unskilled. That's what you try to collect in the minors. Much rather have Montanez starting in left, but I'm satisfied to let this play out. But that means you have to give Pie as many at bats as possible in the meantime.

Montanez, 26, is much worse defensively than Pie, and 2 years older -- and Reimold isn't as good defensively either. Both may be better hitters now... but AM wants all-around players and Pie's MiL numbers are as good as Reimold or Montanez's.

You know I thought someone would make a post like this. Certainly, Reimold and Montanez are older but IMO they are better hitters with more power right now. While Pie had good numbers in the minors, he never won a triple crown. Also, I've heard a lot of people talk about how bad Montanez's defense is but where is the supporting information? What do scouts say about him? Does Tony have any information about him? You have to admit PIe does look lost out there right now.

With that said, I agree that Pie should be getting the playing time out there. I'm actually pulling for him to be successful. However, I wish we had the right handed hitting Montanez on the bench to eventually platoon with Pie then the currently useless Freel.

You know I thought someone would make a post like this. Certainly, Reimold and Montanez are older but IMO they are better hitters with more power right now. While Pie had good numbers in the minors, he never won a triple crown. Also, I've heard a lot of people talk about how bad Montanez's defense is but where is the supporting information? What do scouts say about him? Does Tony have any information about him? You have to admit PIe does look lost out there right now.

With that said, I agree that Pie should be getting the playing time out there. I'm actually pulling for him to be successful. However, I wish we had the right handed hitting Montanez on the bench to eventually platoon with Pie then the currently useless Freel.

100% agree. If Pie isn't going to start every day, I want Lou getting the rest of those at bats. He's totally undermatched against AAA pitching. I have nothing at all against Freel, I actually really like his personality and hustle. He'd be better off with a release, and so would we in the big picture of developing players for the future.

You also have to realize that Montanez never came close to doing what he did last year before in the minors. You're basing all of this on one year of Montanez crushing the ball in AA at the age of 25. Pie has been great at AA and AAA for 5 seasons at a much younger age.

Reimold is the guy I think has a chance to become a solid starter for us in LF... but Pie is here now and has as much talent as Reimold if not more when you take defense into consideration, so why not be patient? Chances are Freel will be released or traded soon and Scott could be traded as well. Reimold and to a lesser extent, Montanez, will get their chances this year.

You also have to realize that Montanez never came close to doing what he did last year before in the minors. You're basing all of this on one year of Montanez crushing the ball in AA at the age of 25. Pie has been great at AA and AAA for 5 seasons at a much younger age.

He also looked surprisingly comfortable against ML pitching with his 100 or so at bats last year. And he tore up spring training. And he's dominating in AAA. The guy is a late bloomer. It happens that way sometimes.

-- and Reimold isn't as good defensively either. .

I disagree....Pie in the future will probably be a better defensive LFer, but right now I think Reimold having a little more experience in Left gives him the upper hand. Pie is not used to the position yet so as mentioned earlier, he sometimes makes routine plays look horrendous. In a year when Pie is used to LF, then he will be a better LFer, IMO. But I will say that Pie deserves more time to transition, he has shown us glimpses of why he was such a highly touted prospect for so long. Can he put it all together? I think sooner or later he is going to go on a tear and prove himself. Hopefully its sooner rather than later because there are a couple of LFers in the minors who want their shot too and they won't be put on hold much longer without any performance from Pie....

Archived