After Two Weeks of Pie...

Frobby

We can't even draw a conclusion as he hasn't been allowed to play. The worst part for me is that Trembley has asked his veterans to be "patient" in the first few weeks, as if they'll get MORE time as the season progresses.

Bringing Felix in for one AB in a pressure cooker situation is not going to help his development.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you think?

I have been surprised at his lostness in left- I know it's an adjustment but I was shocked at how clueless he can look on the routine play. I'm not worried, just rather startled. Defense is not at all where I thought he would struggle.

At the plate I have been equally surprised- in a pleasant way- at his occasionally good pitch recognition. He has a clue up there. The results have not been there perhaps, but I can see how he can pull this out.

In the end, I'm still not sure what we have, but the upside is tantalizing enough to leave him there for many more weeks.

What say you?

I agree, but he needs the whole season. Not till June or July. THat is not enough time. I really do believe the O's have a diamond in the making. He just needs time. I am sure his defence will come around. Do the O's ahve OF coaches that can teach him all the things he needs to make the proper read or adjustments in LF? Not sure who that is. But, I am sure he will be fine.

I agree, but he needs the whole season. Not till June or July. THat is not enough time. I really do believe the O's have a diamond in the making. He just needs time. I am sure his defence will come around. Do the O's ahve OF coaches that can teach him all the things he needs to make the proper read or adjustments in LF? Not sure who that is. But, I am sure he will be fine.

Adam Jones credited T-Bone Shelby for his progression last year defensively. He made some awful plays in his spring training debut with the Orioles, and we all see what he's become. Hopefully Shelby can work his magic on Pie too.

We can't even draw a conclusion as he hasn't been allowed to play. The worst part for me is that Trembley has asked his veterans to be "patient" in the first few weeks, as if they'll get MORE time as the season progresses.

Bringing Felix in for one AB in a pressure cooker situation is not going to help his development.

I don't know about that. If that's all he's being used for, maybe- but you're talking about a chance to put a guy into about as highly pressurized situation as there is in the most opposing ball park on the road, against one of the toughest closers in the game.

I think it's a great chance to give a young player a gut check, and let him learn from it. I think Pie is a confident guy and has an eagerness to learn. YOu can't simulate moments like that in practice.

After a full season in Baltimore, bonding with his outfield mates, learning from his coaches and playing the game consistently, without the "produce now" pressure he may have been subject to in Chicago...only then will the Orioles begin to have a true handle on what they have in Felix Pie.

I don't know about that. If that's all he's being used for, maybe- but you're talking about a chance to put a guy into about as highly pressurized situation as there is in the most opposing ball park on the road, against one of the toughest closers in the game.

I think it's a great chance to give a young player a gut check, and let him learn from it. I think Pie is a confident guy and has an eagerness to learn. YOu can't simulate moments like that in practice.

If he had started the game, then the AB would've been crucial for his development, but you don't bring in an unsure, 24 year old guy, who is at the very least semi-uncomfortable at the plate, and expect him to get a hit after coming cold off the bench.

Gary Thorne was saying tonight that if Pie doesn't show something with the bat soon, Trembley will have to bench him even more often. If thats true, thats terrible.

Pie is done tonight...Big strike zone and Beckett pitching?

Very tough for him.

Here is hoping DT is much smarter than Thorne.

Pie is done tonight...Big strike zone and Beckett pitching?

Very tough for him.

Here is hoping DT is much smarter than Thorne.

Sad thing is, it sounded like he was quoting Trembley when he said it.

Pie is a defensive liablity, if he can't hit and he can't field, then he has no place on this team...

Yet we keep hearing about how great defensively he is. I understand the switch from CF to LF but at this point....you're right...

Mr Pie, can not hit lefties. .245 in the minors. He can not hit the better power pitchers in the AL. (was overpowered by Paps) and IMHO stinks.

We are wasting a roster spot and time trying to make chicken soup out of chicken feathers. The Cubs thought so much of him they signed 38 year old Jim Edmunds and put him center and sent Pie to Iowa until they could unload him on us. Have you seen him at bat. His ave. is decieving because of his speed. DFA him if he passes then good, work on his deficetcies in Norfolk, if he gets claimed, bye a cake and say good luck.

Pie is a defensive liablity, if he can't hit and he can't field, then he has no place on this team...

I'm pretty certain it isn't possible for me to disagree with you more here. You're saying this in reaction to the bad play from Pie, which really wasn't that big of a deal. Certainly he could have handled it better, and if he's consistently screwing those plays up in June, then you'll have a case. But, really, you haven't been watching the same games I have if you think Pie hasn't improved since the beginning of the season. If anything, these first couple of weeks has made me more confident that Pie will put it all together. His pitch recognition is more advanced than I thought it would be, probably better than Jones' at the beginning of last year. I'm very glad he's a part of our club.

Archived