After Two Weeks of Pie...

Frobby

They'll be quietly eating crow and we won't hear a word from them if Pie starts hitting the ball. I'm all for giving the guy the time to work it out. I still want to see Reimold up here sooner rather than later though.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must be missing all the people ripping on Pie (and please don't point me in the direction of those threads if I am, I'd prefer not to read them).

I thought it was just a few lesser informed posters who have been calling him out frequently, rather than many people who think giving him a shot is a poor idea.

Me too. I haven't seen the outcry over Pie being on the opening day roster other than Roy's thread the other day.

I must be missing all the people ripping on Pie (and please don't point me in the direction of those threads if I am, I'd prefer not to read them).

I thought it was just a few lesser informed posters who have been calling him out frequently, rather than many people who think giving him a shot is a poor idea.

Yep, it's just a couple of posters. But they're prolific.

I'm with you. It's absurd.

I also think the negativity I've read directed towards Pie is absurd from the standpoint of where we are as an organization. The guy just turned 24 and has been a top 100 Baseball America prospect 5 times. He needs to be given a substantial portion of the season to show whether or not he may be able to become the third piece in an impressive young outfield. I get Pedro Cerrano's frustration. Rep to you, Pedro.

Pie has a .300 / .351 / .478 / .829 line over 1123 at bats in the past three seasons at AAA. He was 21, 22 and 23 years old when he put up those numbers.

This is not Keith Reed who put up a .264 / .317 / .415 / .732 line over 1408 at bats primarily a A, A+ and AA ball when he was 21 - 23 years old and who was struggling to top a .750 OPS at AAA when he was 27 years old.

This is not Corey Patterson who was rushed to the majors far too early after putting up a horrid .253 / .308 / .387 / .695 line over 367 at bats at AAA at the age of 21.

This is a guy who's hit at a high level and played + defense at every level of the minors from Rookie ball to AAA (and every level in between) and done it all by the time he was 23 years old.

This is a guy who's already topped .900 OPS in minor league seasons three different times during his career without terribly high home run or walk totals - both areas that players usually are able to improve as they mature as hitters.

This is a guy who at 24 years old, hasn't even come close to reaching max potential as a hitter.

This is a guy who's never been given consistent playing time at the big league level over any extended period and who's labored under a coach in Chicago who is notorious for being impatient and having a short leash with young players.

Can any of the Pie naysayers concede that he isn't some guy who's just got 5 tools and nothing else to recommend him? This is a guy who at a very young age has played at a very, very high level at every stop in the minors. Does it make sense to throw him on the garbage heap based on 324 major league at bats and a poor showing in his first spring training with a new club, new teammates and new coaches?

Just beyond wacky that anyone who's a serious O's fan wouldn't want to give a guy with Pie's upside just half a season or so to prove he's able to stick. Boggles the mind.

I think most here are too quick to believe that he will reach his once-promising ceiling. If he does fulfill some of his potential, I would still question if it would be a sufficient contribution for a corner OFer. Which is why, a few months ago, I suggested we could eventually trade Pie to a team in need of a CFer if Pie turns it around.

Despite my concerns regarding Pie's ultimate contribution, considering our pitching surplus in the minors, I would deal Olson for Pie every day of the week.

Frankly, regarding Pie, I think the naysayers can make a better case that Pie will be a below-average contributor as a corner OFer than those who believe Pie could be a well-above average contributor.

I think the real concern of most would be will Pie in the next 3 years put up better numbers than Luke Scott. I am just talking pure offensive numbers, I am not bringing defense into the equation.

This is the American League East. If Pie levels off at 260 BA, 335 OBP, and hits 12 homers I won't care what kind of defense he plays. On the other hand I think it would be safe to say Luke Scott will put up better #'s than last year and probably sustain those numbers for a few years.

I have nothing against Pie, I hope he turns those tools into a hall of fame career. Just that a team that has so many needs we brought in the one player that plays a position that we probably have the most depth in.

I still am very curious if McPhail would have had this huge man crush on Pie if he wasn't an ex Cub.

Did I say he would be a better player than Patterson?

Answer: No

Board rule #5:

Lame as it may be as far as insults go, calling Felix Pie "Corey Patterson, Jr" is an attempt at name calling. Expect to receive an infraction with the next offense.

To quote Sgt Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis.". If one wanted to be insulting, one would have said Luis Matos Jr.

This whole Pie debacle has shown some interesting things.

First, it seems that a lot of (certainly not all) of the older posters around here seem dead set against Pie for whatever reason. Lately, FR500 and Since '54 have joined the fray as Pie bashers. Wouldn't surprise me if OldFan (wherever he's lurking) would jump on this bandwagon...so theres some generational differences coming to light.

Second, those who are so dead set against Pie seem to have no real reasoning as to why they don't think he'll be successful...they just cling to a handfull of major league at bats and think the book has been written.

Third, those who are against Pie and love to hype Reimold and Montanez fail to take into consideration that Reimold and Montanez have practically no ML experience at all...just like Pie.

But for some reason that shouldn't matter.

Fourth, there's some underlying distrust here due to the fact that we picked him up from the Cubs...since the Cubs have had a fairly hard time developing prospects over the years and since they gave us Corey Patterson, they automatically assume that he's going to be a bust.

For some unbeknownst reason, Adam Jones was met with practically a 100% approval rating when we acquired him from the Mariners last year despite having some initial struggles in parts of two years in Seattle.

Pie? Not so much.

This whole thing has been pretty ridiculous. We should be happy to have a young player on our team who is brimming with potential that could be realized right before our very eyes...just like Jones, just like Markakis, just like Wieters and just like the Big 3.

Those of who are condeming this guy for lack of intelligence, agendas against the Cubs/MacPhail or just the fact that they think they're know-it-alls are just totally missing everything.

This whole Pie debacle has shown some interesting things.

First, it seems that a lot of (certainly not all) of the older posters around here seem dead set against Pie for whatever reason. Lately, FR500 and Since '54 have joined the fray as Pie bashers. Wouldn't surprise me if OldFan (wherever he's lurking) would jump on this bandwagon...so theres some generational differences coming to light.

Second, those who are so dead set against Pie seem to have no real reasoning as to why they don't think he'll be successful...they just cling to a handfull of major league at bats and think the book has been written.

Third, those who are against Pie and love to hype Reimold and Montanez fail to take into consideration that Reimold and Montanez have practically no ML experience at all...just like Pie.

But for some reason that shouldn't matter.

Fourth, there's some underlying distrust here due to the fact that we picked him up from the Cubs...since the Cubs have had a fairly hard time developing prospects over the years and since they gave us Corey Patterson, they automatically assume that he's going to be a bust.

For some unbeknownst reason, Adam Jones was met with practically a 100% approval rating when we acquired him from the Mariners last year despite having some initial struggles in parts of two years in Seattle.

Pie? Not so much.

This whole thing has been pretty ridiculous. We should be happy to have a young player on our team who is brimming with potential that could be realized right before our very eyes...just like Jones, just like Markakis, just like Wieters and just like the Big 3.

Those of who are condeming this guy for lack of intelligence, agendas against the Cubs/MacPhail or just the fact that they think they're know-it-alls are just totally missing everything.

I understand bringing in a guy with upside, however I am a big Luke Scott fan and I just believe that the Pie move was not really needed. If we would have gotten a 3rd baseman, shortstop, or first baseman with upside I would be all behind the move.

As far as the McPhail thing I just don't believe he makes this move if he is not an ex cub.

Just thought I would throw these out there...2009 projections for Pie:

Bill James: 745 OPS

CHONE: 727 OPS

MARCEL:: 706 OPS

ZIPS: 712 OPS

Now, the OBP aren't great for any of them(306-323 range) but I would take any of those this year...706 OPS wouldn't be the best but it may be ok if he shows improvement and is excellent in the field.

The complete incompetence I see from people in their judgement of him is actually just getting amusing.

I understand bringing in a guy with upside, however I am a big Luke Scott fan and I just believe that the Pie move was not really needed. If we would have gotten a 3rd baseman, shortstop, or first baseman with upside I would be all behind the move.

As far as the McPhail thing I just don't believe he makes this move if he is not an ex cub.

I'm a big Luke Scott fan as well, trust me.

I agree that MacPhail doesn't make the move if he's not an ex Cub, either...but MacPhail is familiar with him and must think that he's got what it takes. Can't fault him for the familiarity factor here....it's like a coach leaving a basketball program and some of his players follow him to the new school. So what?

Archived