After Two Weeks of Pie...

Frobby

I think it would probably affect his opinion, yeah.

Really? What I see is small samples of data being taken out of context (say, spring stats or "performance for three weeks last July") when it fits his pre-formed conclusions, and large samples of data (say, the reports of every scout I've ever seen that say Pie is a far, far better defender than Reimold) ignored.

You can try using things like stats and observations to sway the argument. But I doubt it does anything.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that you continue to judge things based on ST and still hang onto the idea that Reimold isn't here because of Pie just shows your foolishness.

Still waiting for you to acknowledge the idea that both Reimold and Pie can be on the team...but then that would make your argument look even poorer, so I doubt you do it.

They can be, but the Orioles would have to eat a ton of salary and/or trade ML veterans to do it. MacPhail wouldn't take that risk nor eat that much $. He didn't cut or trade Millar so Moore could be on the team so I don't see him cutting Freel or trading Scott so Reimold could be on the team. Once the Orioles gave Pie the LF job after the trade, Reimold's fate was sealed.

However if Reimold had the spring he was having without Pie there, I think he could have made the team. He may have been in a platoon with Scott, but he'd be on the team regardless...

They can be, but the Orioles would have to eat a ton of salary and/or trade ML veterans to do it. MacPhail wouldn't take that risk nor eat that much $. He didn't cut or trade Millar so Moore could be on the team so I don't see him cutting Freel or trading Scott so Reimold could be on the team.

However if Reimold had the spring he was having without Pie there, I think he could have made the team. He may have been in a platoon with Scott, but he'd be on the team regardless...

What Reimold needs to do is not repeat what Moore did last year after he was sent to AAA. Once there, he never gave the O's a reason to call him back up.

If Reimold puts up an .825-.850 OPS at Norfolk and plays good defense, things will take care of themselves.

They can be, but the Orioles would have to eat a ton of salary and/or trade ML veterans to do it. MacPhail wouldn't take that risk nor eat that much $. He didn't cut or trade Millar so Moore could be on the team so I don't see him cutting Freel or trading Scott so Reimold could be on the team. Once the Orioles gave Pie the LF job after the trade, Reimold's fate was sealed.

And you are foolish for believing that.

If you have paid an ounce of attention to how they have handled Nolan Reimold, you would know this.

And so what anyway...Pie has great upside and deserves a chance on a bad team.

I know you don't want to hear that but luckily for us, those in charge do want to do it.

They can be, but the Orioles would have to eat a ton of salary and/or trade ML veterans to do it. MacPhail wouldn't take that risk nor eat that much $. He didn't cut Millar so Moore could be on the team so I don't see him cutting Freel.

This I agree with, but it doesn't mean that he's the better overall player. Pie is here and they would be stupid to cut him b/c he's hitting .200 over 35-40 at bats.

It's nice to have the depth. Reimold will get his shot at some point this year.

What Reimold needs to do is not repeat what Moore did last year after he was sent to AAA. Once there, he never gave the O's a reason to call him back up.

If Reimold puts up an .825-.850 OPS at Norfolk and plays good defense, things will take care of themselves.

The RF fence and injuries killed Moore in Norfolk. Now that Moore is healthy and the RF fence has moved in 20 ft, hopefully he can show what he really has. As for Reimold, I hope that he can give the Orioles an alternative to Pie should they need one come midseason.

what about montanez he proved he can hit last year and is hitting this st is his defense really that poor

I think Montanez and Reimold will be battling it out to show who is more ready for a call-up. They have both looked good this spring, and Montanez has looked better defensively than he looked during his 2008 call-up from what I have read. If you want my opinion, if an OF call-up occurs in the first half of 2009, it's more likely to be Montanez than Reimold.

At this point, yes I think Reimold is a better baserunner and defensive player. He's solid. Pie is flashy, that's the difference. Pie is the second coming of Corey Patterson. He makes the flashy play but then does something boneheaded on a routine one.

Reimold is 2-2 in stolen bases in ST, Pie has 0 and was CS once. Pie has 117 SB in 187 attempts for a 63% success rate in the minors and he had a 61% SB rate in AAA last year with 11 SB in 18 attempts. Reimold while he's stolen fewer bases has a 67% career rate and had 7 SB in 10 attempts for a 70% rate last season.

oh boy.

abcdefg

This.

This right here.

Attack Pie, defend Moore...Attack Pie, deflect any criticism from Moore.

Look the other way! Nothing else to see here.

Look Moose, what do you want? Pie has had it easy, he never had to overcome the odds of that terrible Norfolk RF wall. Had Pie played in AAA for us last year he wouldn't even be able to make the fall ball teams out west.

:laughlol:

For the record, I think that

(1) Reimold is more likely to develop as a major league hitter than Pie. He has more power and better plate discipline.

(2) It's still reasonable to give Pie a chance for now, because he does have athleticism and upside potential. I'm not a big fan of toolsy young players with poor K/BB numbers, but some of them do figure things out and become stars (Alfonso Soriano and Carl Crawford come to mind, among recent players).

(3) Reimold wouldn't have made the team regardless of his ST performance, with or without Pie. This franchise is committed to giving everyone time at Norfolk, come hell or high water, regardless of who is available at the major league level (for proof see Bergesen, Brad). The Pie trade was bad news for Montanez and Salazar, not Reimold.

In what way was LF broken last year? The O's ranked 4th in OPS in LF, 3rd in HR, 6th in RBI. And the defense in LF was pretty good, too.

My guess is that we'll get less offensive production in LF in 2009 than we got in 2008.

This is very likely true -- which is why I'm so puzzled that Pie has apparently been awarded sole custody of left field. It astonishes me that so many posters keep referring to his speed, athleticism, etc. as reasons why he is a potential star. Didn't they watch Corey Patterson stink up the league? Or notice the athletic hotshots the Birds have had in the past who didn't make it to the majors?

Archived