They Were Orioles?

ShaneDawg85

Didn't Bob Horner make a similar spring training attempt?

Oh, and I don't think Keith Moreland was mentioned. We picked up that worthless bum for the 1989 pennant drive and he basically phoned it in. He had nothing left, he went to the plate, struck out, sat back down and collected a paycheck for a month.

Moreland didn't even finish the season with them. His last game was 9/24. He ended up going home...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jose Mesa

Jimmy Key

Steve Finley

Ron Washington- The current manager of the Rangers spent one season here 1987.

Rex Hudler- 14 games in 1986 w/ one plate apperance

I remember looking at Hudler's card a few years back and being stunned that he played for the Orioles. He was one that really suprised me.

Also... I don't think anyone mentioned Jim Northrup who finished his career with the O's in 74-75 after a bunch of years in Detroit... Or Dave Duncan who came over from Oakland, I think, to catch for us in 75-76.

Apologies if these have already been mentioned.

Enos Cabell - Thirdbaseman who played for us for parts of three seasons during the time when Brooks Robinson owned third base. He went on to play for quite awhile in Houston.

We got Lee May for him in a deal. Great deal!

I can't believe no one has mentioned Steve Stone.

Also, Todd Zeile was acquired late in 1996 for the stretch run. He wasn't re-signed in the offseason.

The guy had a 25 win season, 3 years here, a Cy Young, an All Star Game. Enough that even though it was only two years I don't really think of him as a "short timer". He started 81 games for the Orioles....two short of the 83 he started for the Cubs and more than he started for any other team. He had more wins for the Orioles than he did for any other major league team.

Honestly, it never would have occurred to me to put Steve Stone in thread. He's a guy like Robby Alomar who may not have had a lot of years with the Orioles but he did so much in those years that he is memorable as an Oriole and not as some guy who finished his career here.

Looking over some past seasons, I completely forgot about some of these "one year" guys that have played for the O's but are better known from other teams:

- Fernando Valenzuela 8-10 4.94 in 1993. Dodgers.

- Mike Pagliarulo .325/.373/.556 in 117 AB 1993. Yankees.

- Sid Fernandez 6-6 5.15 in 1994 (he was here a little in '95 too). Mets.

- Dwight Evans .270/.393/.378 in 1991. Red Sox.

- Andy Van Slyke .159/.221/.317 in limited time 1995. Pirates.

- Pete Incaviglia played part of 96-97. Rangers

That's just for a few years in the '90s. What are some others from farther back or more recently?

Archived