Keith Law's Latest Mock

....has both Tanner Scheppers, RHP, St. Paul (Indy) and Matt Purke, LHP, Klein HS (TX) out of the first round completely.

Baltimore projection is Aaron Crow, RHP, Ft. Worth (Indy) with consideration to Scheppers and Tyler Matzek. LHP, Capistrano Valley HS (CA).

He also has Tony Sanchez, C, Boston College going fourth to Pittsburgh.

Donavan Tate, CF, Cartersville HS (GA) after falling out of his last mock first round, is now back int the Top 5, going third to San Diego (which I have thought for a while would make sense).

Another surprise is Tim Wheeler, CF, Sacramento State at 1:6 to San Francisco.

Insiders only -- here's the link.

....has both Tanner Scheppers, RHP, St. Paul (Indy) and Matt Purke, LHP, Klein HS (TX) out of the first round completely.

Baltimore projection is Aaron Crow, RHP, Ft. Worth (Indy) with consideration to Scheppers and Tyler Matzek. LHP, Capistrano Valley HS (CA).

He also has Tony Sanchez, C, Boston College going fourth to Pittsburgh.

Donavan Tate, CF, Cartersville HS (GA) after falling out of his last mock first round, is now back int the Top 5, going third to San Diego (which I have thought for a while would make sense).

Another surprise is Tim Wheeler, CF, Sacramento State at 1:6 to San Francisco.

Insiders only -- here's the link.

Interesting . . . so Law thinks that it is Baltimore or broke for Scheppers?

Seriously? Is Baltimore that alone on the island?

I feel like I am trying to translate an ancient tongue trying to make sense of what he is trying to do. I want to see the logic in there.

Good lord, Scheppers and Purke out of the first round?

The Yankees will sign Purke with their holdover first round pick if he's there. I think you can guarantee that.

Law is really just picking names out of a hat after Strasburg and Ackley it seems...

The Yankees will sign Purke with their holdover first round pick if he's there. I think you can guarantee that.

Law is really just picking names out of a hat after Strasburg and Ackley it seems...

I am fairly confidant you cannot guarantee that as drafting someone is not synonymous with signing them. Signing will have to come later.

Heathcott makes a lot of sense for them, too, though I generally agree with you here, J.

Would there be any possibility of coming away with both Crow and Scheppers?

According to Law? Yes. I don't see how that could possibly be unless Purke is telling people he's going to TCU unless he gets like $6 million.

According to Law? Yes. I don't see how that could possibly be unless Purke is telling people he's going to TCU unless he gets like $6 million.

Law's mocks make me think we might be seeing some really interesting news coming out soon. Not sure what to make of it all.

Law's mocks make me think we might be seeing some really interesting news coming out soon. Not sure what to make of it all.

Agreed... and there is NO WAY Sanchez goes fourth to Pittsburgh. If it happens, the lone remaining Pirates fan will not be enough to keep the franchise afloat. :D

I am fairly confidant you cannot guarantee that as drafting someone is not synonymous with signing them. Signing will have to come later.

Considering the Yankees lose that pick if they can't sign Purke, if they draft him, you can bet they'll sign him. Money has never been a problem for the Yankees.

Cole just wanted to go to college. It wasn't about money.

Considering the Yankees lose that pick if they can't sign Purke, if they draft him, you can bet they'll sign him. Money has never been a problem for the Yankees.

Cole just wanted to go to college. It wasn't about money.

Oh, I was just having fun with your word choice.

Yeah, like Keith Law has been moved to a new division within ESPN, because he can't seem to figure out scouting. :)

Yeah, like Keith Law has been moved to a new division within ESPN, because he can't seem to figure out scouting. :)

I actually think his scouting is pretty solid -- his mock's just haven't followed his scouting thoughts, from what I can tell. That tells me he's going more by "what he's hearing" than what he thinks should happen. It's probably closer to what you'd want in a mock, though I don't know why a team would tell him who they are actually targeting so that he can write an article about it...

That last sentence really can't be overstated with regards to all mocks by the experts -- I don't know why a team would tell the press who they are actually targeting so that the press can turn around write an article about it.

I don't know why a team would tell the press who they are actually targeting so that the press can turn around write an article about it.

This isn't the NFL or NBA, so teams can't trade up to get someone. The only downside I'd say there is to letting the proverbial cat out of the first round bag is if the player doesn't fall to you and you have to go with another - conceivably - unwanted player. There could be some hurt feelings, but that's about it.

Unless you're saying that a team would draft the guy you want, rather than the guy they want, just to keep you from getting him. Or, a team would change their scouting report on a player based on hype you put in the press. If teams actually did either, I'd guess they're not very good at drafting in the first place.

This isn't the NFL or NBA, so teams can't trade up to get someone. The only downside I'd say there is to letting the proverbial cat out of the first round bag is if the player doesn't fall to you and you have to go with another - conceivably - unwanted player. There could be some hurt feelings, but that's about it.

Unless you're saying that a team would draft the guy you want, rather than the guy they want, just to keep you from getting him. Or, a team would change their scouting report on a player based on hype you put in the press. If teams actually did either, I'd guess they're not very good at drafting in the first place.

Well, with baseball there is so much talent to look for an so little time, so if you pick 12th and say how you really like so and so and spend so much time looking at the guy . . . it makes the team ahead take notice and wonder if you see something they overlooked.

It makes a whole lot of sense not to tell the press a thing.

Archived