MacPhail on Draft

Nice. It's a common sense approach based in reality. I read it looking for a place to disagree, but I really can't. The guy is smart, and he knows his business.

He has now explicitly talked at least half a dozen times about how important pitching is and how he intends to acquire it. It's time people took him at his word: there will not be any big FA pitcher signings while he is calling the shots.

Nice. It's a common sense approach based in reality. I read it looking for a place to disagree, but I really can't. The guy is smart, and he knows his business.

He has now explicitly talked at least half a dozen times about how important pitching is and how he intends to acquire it. It's time people took him at his word: there will not be any big FA pitcher signings while he is calling the shots.

Yeah, I am trying to figure out how the Roberts extension works without that.

Have the O's been near the top recently in bonuses paid out: "Over the last two years, out of 30 clubs, we are 4th in amateur signing bonuses. Some of that is a function of how much you give your first rounder. We've spent some money late for guys too. This is an important avenue for us and we continue to make a sizable investment in this area.[/Quote]

I love hearing that. It means were willing to draft guys with higher talent levels than the rounds they were drafted in and pay them to stay. It really helps us find some gems like Arrieta.

I'm hoping that quote applies to Matzek more so than Tate. Are best bet to nab Matzek now seems to be if he he has large bonus demands (I guess Boras is now his adviser?) and he falls. I'm much more intrigued by Matzek, but my gut says that he's gone and our guy will be Wheeler.

I'm hoping that quote applies to Matzek more so than Tate. Are best bet to nab Matzek now seems to be if he he has large bonus demands (I guess Boras is now his adviser?) and he falls. I'm much more intrigued by Matzek, but my gut says that he's gone and our guy will be Wheeler.

Isn't Aaron Crow more of a can't miss prospect than Matzek?

I like Crow a lot, and it's really close between the two of them in my mind. I think Crow's got a good chance to be a very good #2 starter, but Matzek's got ace potential. Given that he's younger, has cleaner mechanics, and higher upside, I'd take Matzek right now (and I've been on the Crow bandwagon for some time now). Unfortunately, I don't think we'll have a chance at either of these guys.

I like this quote, and will probably post it at people several times in the near future:

Is need a factor with that first pick: "Not really. The needs will change by the time that first pick gets there in a lot of cases."

Archived