Some stuff I've heard

Id be happy with Wheeler, as I have been for the past couple of weeks since we have had the idea we may end up picking him. BUT to reply to Trea's thread somewhere in these 11 pages, Matzek does not have 4 plus pitches right now, he has a chance to have 4 plus pitches when its all said and done. He may have 2 plus pitches right now, but a couple need work, and I am not sure but Im thinking it may be the slide piece and the curve..... Wheeler has currently 2 plus pitches and a chance to have another above average to plus pitch. Wheeler still has some more room to fill out and gain some extra velo. Matzek has already apparently gained the few extra MPH they were expecting out of him and I doubt he gains any more.... But none the less, with Wheeler though it seems Matzek may be better right now, down the road Wheeler may end up having a plus plus fastball accompanied by the 2 other plus pitches with plus command which could make him a TOR starter.....This is my justification for taking him....

Now the Hobgood situation can be summed up like this, last year JJ said he doesnt worry about the sexy named draftees that BA and other publications spits out, he goes off of his own reports and trusts his own information and scouting. If we take Hobgood, then JJ truely feels that he is/will be a better pitcher than Wheeler. Just because Hobgood is not ranked by BA as one of the top 4 HS pitchers, doesnt mean he isnt one. HS is so hard to guage because of the competition level, a 1.45 ERA for Matzek isnt the same as 1.45 ERA for Hobgood against his HS competition. Some districts are much more tough than others, by being able to have work outs with both Wheeler and Hobgood, JJ can really get a pretty strong idea of who is better and I honestly will trust him. Just because BA doesnt have Hobgood ranked #2 prep arm doesnt mean he really isnt.......

Great point about competition. Georgia is no Southern California when it comes to HS baseball talent.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Id be happy with Wheeler, as I have been for the past couple of weeks since we have had the idea we may end up picking him. BUT to reply to Trea's thread somewhere in these 11 pages, Matzek does not have 4 plus pitches right now, he has a chance to have 4 plus pitches when its all said and done. He may have 2 plus pitches right now, but a couple need work, and I am not sure but Im thinking it may be the slide piece and the curve..... Wheeler has currently 2 plus pitches and a chance to have another above average to plus pitch. Wheeler still has some more room to fill out and gain some extra velo. Matzek has already apparently gained the few extra MPH they were expecting out of him and I doubt he gains any more.... But none the less, with Wheeler though it seems Matzek may be better right now, down the road Wheeler may end up having a plus plus fastball accompanied by the 2 other plus pitches with plus command which could make him a TOR starter.....This is my justification for taking him....

Now the Hobgood situation can be summed up like this, last year JJ said he doesnt worry about the sexy named draftees that BA and other publications spits out, he goes off of his own reports and trusts his own information and scouting. If we take Hobgood, then JJ truely feels that he is/will be a better pitcher than Wheeler. Just because Hobgood is not ranked by BA as one of the top 4 HS pitchers, doesnt mean he isnt one. HS is so hard to guage because of the competition level, a 1.45 ERA for Matzek isnt the same as 1.45 ERA for Hobgood against his HS competition. Some districts are much more tough than others, by being able to have work outs with both Wheeler and Hobgood, JJ can really get a pretty strong idea of who is better and I honestly will trust him. Just because BA doesnt have Hobgood ranked #2 prep arm doesnt mean he really isnt.......

To take that a step further, Matzek has a chance to have 3 plus pitches, with 2 plus and one above average now, but the 4th will remain average.

I don't worry about publications and rankings, it's all he said-she said, but I do worry about his conditioning a bit.

Archived