Some stuff I've heard

I really like the idea of Matzek at #5 despite the price tag...

Me too, man. I think he's more worth what he's demanding that Strasburg is worth what he is demanding. Clearly Strasburg is the better pitcher when you look at stuff and ability to succeed now, but Matzek is the whole package. I don't see another lefty in this draft that appears to be such a high reward, low risk pick.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too, man. I think he's more worth what he's demanding that Strasburg is worth what he is demanding. Clearly Strasburg is the better pitcher when you look at stuff and ability to succeed now, but Matzek is the whole package. I don't see another lefty in this draft that appears to be such a high reward, low risk pick.
I like Matzek better than Wheeler, but I'm not sure I like him $4M in additional bonus money given out later in the draft better.

Its not realistic to think the team will just throw in another $3-4M to sign Matzek instead of Wheeler without that impacting what we are willing to spend later in the draft negatively. So if you spend more on Matzek over Wheeler, that's less money you have to find guys who drop due to signability later.

I'm not saying going with Matzek and his price tag isn't the right move, just that its not a slam dunk by any stretch.

I like Matzek better than Wheeler, but I'm not sure I like him $4M in additional bonus money given out later in the draft better.

Its not realistic to think the team will just throw in another $3-4M to sign Matzek instead of Wheeler without that impacting what we are willing to spend later in the draft negatively. So if you spend more on Matzek over Wheeler, that's less money you have to find guys who drop due to signability later.

I'm not saying going with Matzek and his price tag isn't the right move, just that its not a slam dunk by any stretch.

Absolutely. This is about big picture stuff. Is it better to save some money on possibly a little bit lower talent in order to draft a few signability guys later in the draft? I'd rather have the arms/players in number myself.

But what if it only takes another 1-1.5 million to get Matzek? How much does that change things.

I agree with the general philosophy that I would prefer the strength in numbers.

Absolutely. This is about big picture stuff. Is it better to save some money on possibly a little bit lower talent in order to draft a few signability guys later in the draft? I'd rather have the arms/players in number myself.

So the real question is what is the talent difference between TM and Wheeler?

Arrieta is what I think when I see this. Clearly, it's not a definite, but the willingness to spend later can make a big difference.

I believe he signed for about 1 million, which is late 1st round/supplemental round money right? If so, 3-4 million could grab ~4-6 slippers.

I think that it is important to remember that just because someone on hear has "heard" that we will not take a Boras client does not make it true. We have all been hearing this since McPhail took over so this should not make anyone newly upset. Let's see if we really do avoid them before we start getting mad about it. Just my two cents.

But what if it only takes another 1-1.5 million to get Matzek? How much does that change things.

I agree with the general philosophy that I would prefer the strength in numbers.

I get this line of thinking, and I'm by no means a draft guru, but Matzek has been my preferred choice for awhile now. I can see not drafting him based on financial reasons, but what if what Sports Guy suggests comes true and after a long negotiation, Matzek doesn't require more than 1-2 mil more than Wheeler would. Also, I'm not sure it would kill us to have another top 5 (6th?) pick in next years draft, which may or may not be stronger up top than this draft, if Matzek does not sign.

Again, I can see why people would back off due to salary demands, but I think Matzek is worth drafting and trying to sign. Then again, maybe that's why I'm not a draft guru. :D

So the real question is what is the talent difference between TM and Wheeler?

I agree, and honestly I don't know, but unless it's head and shoulders difference and unless the TM has agreed to something reasonable with the Orioles, it'll be Wheeler over TM in my opinion.

I think that it is important to remember that just because someone on hear has "heard" that we will not take a Boras client does not make it true. We have all been hearing this since McPhail took over so this should not make anyone newly upset. Let's see if we really do avoid them before we start getting mad about it. Just my two cents.

As I've said, we didn't take one in the draft at all last year, and we haven't tried to sign one in FA with the exception of Mark Teixeira.

The evidence is pointing to MacPhail avoiding Boras guys once again.

The Orioles should have a pretty large draft budget considering the money they have saved on the ML payroll. The draft budget should really be unlimited.

They should be willing to spend $8-10+ million on this draft and upcoming ones as MacPhail even admitted, this is the major pipeline of talent for the Orioles.

If Matzek is the best pitcher on the board and he wants $6 million, you give him that $6 million and still go after guys that drop with above slot money.

What else are we going to spend the money on?

As I've said, we didn't take one in the draft at all last year, and we haven't tried to sign one in FA with the exception of Mark Teixeira.

I agree. MacPhail's trading has taken this club a huge step forward. I'm afraid his drafting and contract negotiation will be a step backwards.

Not trying to start anything JTrea, but who are you talking about specifically? I do agree that avoiding Boras' clients is not a smart move.

I agree, and honestly I don't know, but unless it's head and shoulders difference and unless the TM has agreed to something reasonable with the Orioles, it'll be Wheeler over TM in my opinion.

Wheeler has three plus pitches and according to Lier, some mechanical issues with his delivery that are red flags.

Matzek has four plus pitches and a smooth delivery.

To me the extra pitch and his cleaner mechanics warrants the extra $ spent.

How much more money will Matzek and Green get over the 3.5 million number being talked about for Wheeler?

I doubt either of them gets more than 2 million more and even 2 million is probably going to be too much.

So, the question is this....Is that extra 1-1.5 million really going to stop them from signing players that have dropped due to signability?

Archived